New User
HD_Plus_user
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook HD plus Volume muted

Hi, I am not able to hear any audio from my Nook HD plus. when I press the volume buttons volume scroll bar comes up on the screen but nothing happens. I cant hear any video played in youtube or any website or from any App. I am not able to hear throguh head phones also. It shows sybmol like the volume is muted. I have gone through All seeting menu - >sound seettings. But no use. How to unmute volume? Please help. It was working fine earlier suddenly the volume was muted not sure how to unmute it.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: Nook HD plus Volume muted

did you hold the right volume button down until the volume bar went all the way to the right?

New User
HD_Plus_user
0 Kudos

Yes tried that. But still no use. Is there a setting to mute and umnute volume ? Please help
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

if you go to settings, under general, scroll down to sounds. You can set volume for different applications, etc.

New User
HD_Plus_user
0 Kudos

Thanks for your prompt replies but I don’t see the volume settings for different applications though. I see volume settings, volume for notifications and volume for alarm settings. One observation is when i play any video and when i press volume control up or down i do see the scroll bar for volume but the symbol on the left side shows that it is muted ( it comes with a backward slash line). I assuming there is a setting to mute and unmute volume somewhere. I am using HDplus which was purchased few days ago. It was working fine but suddenly i was not able to hear any thing.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

there should be a setting for music and videos in the general settings, not app settings. There are no settings for different applications, meant a general setting that apps will use when they run, If you have music and videos muted, then apps that run music and videos won't have sound, etc. sorry for the misunderstanding...

For videos and music, it's the first option for me under "sounds".

I have settings under sounds for

music and videos

notifications

alarms

screen lock sound

Are you running the update 2.1.0?

New User
HD_Plus_user
0 Kudos

Yes i do see the same settings and all are set properly.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

All the settings have the volume set all the way to the right? You found the one for videos and music? And still no sound? And it worked earlier? well, I'm stumped, but I'm pretty sure someone else will know the answer to this. Be patient, sometimes it takes a while for someone to post.

The only other solution I could offer would be to reboot it or to make sure you are running the new update that just came out this past week if you haven't done that yet. Since you just bought it, it might not have gotten the update yet. In settings/ device information/ software, it will tell you what version you are at. If you aren't running 2.1, then tap on "check for updates" and install the update. That might help.

New User
HD_Plus_user
0 Kudos

The software is updated one (2.1) . This looks like issue with the piece or a software glitch. I am thinking of retuning it if I don’t find a solution.  

Bibliophile
5ivedom

I think what might have happened is that some app had a mute setting and that locked your entire device.

Try to download some free sound player and voice recorder type apps and see if mute and unmute and record and puse on them unlocks the issue for you.

Else, you'll need a return.

New User
Pracom

I suspect you may be experiencing the same issue that I have now had 3 times with my Nook HD+.  I have only had the device one week and the only connection I can make is that it seems to happen after I have installed and run one of several different Google Play battery saving apps.  The muting of all notifications and the overall volume seems to start at that point and, even worse, uninstalling the app and rebooting the device does not restore the volume!.  Have you installed any app of this type?  The only way I have found to restore volume control is to completely erase and deregister the device. 

There must be some common software control feature, unique to the Nook, that is common to these type of apps since I would be surprised that this issue exists for other Android devices without having already been detected and fixed.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

That's very interesting Pracom.

1) Yes, based on what you've written it definitely seems to be due to one of the battery saving apps.

2) Does the issue fix itself if you uninstall these apps and restart?

3) Your guess that it's a Nook specific bug might be correct too.

New User
Pracom

No, uninstalling the battery saving apps didn't seem to fix the problem. I did find, however, that installing one of the small multi-volume control apps did fix it, so you shouldn't have to erase and deregister the device like I had been doing to correct the issue. I have found that at least some of the battery saving apps don't have this issue.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That makes sense. That the multi volume control app caused an issue. Thanks for sharing.

New User
FrogFreeDoom

I thnk the pervious poster meant the volume app helped. I had the same problem. The Bluetooth icon on its volume control showed as muted (a '/' through it, though it wasn't easy to spot because the '/' was obscured by the Bluetooth icon). By installing the volume control I was able to unmute. In my case, I think it was a WidgetLocker slider that muted all the audio. On my phone, it only mutes the ringer. The volume app I used from Google Play was: Volume Control+ by coffeebreaksoft.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

OK, I understand now.

So, some app set the volume to mute and it's locked.

However, you can get a Volume App that lets you unmute.

Volume Control+ by coffeebreaksoft is one that works. That's good to know.

Contributor
Juwster
0 Kudos

I got my first Nook HD+ in mid March. The sound went out after two days. I took it to the store and the Nook rep was not able to restore the sound. She exchanged the Nook and gave me a new one. Since there were no Google Play apps then that could not have been the problem. I have had the muted sound issue with this device as well. However, the sound always restores after a period of time. Had I not had the previous issue before the update I would tend to think it was a conflict with apps or the update, but since I have had two devices I think this has to be a bug within in the Nook HD+
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Juwster

Any app can cause the muting problem. It could be an app from the Nook Store or one of the built-in apps.

However, the fix seems to be one you can get from Google Play Store. Just download the app mentioned. If you get the muting issue again, use the app mentioned to fix the issue.

Reader
imasucker
0 Kudos

A battery monitoring app froze my sound. I was anle to fix it w sound control + by coffeebreak - free app in google play store...... see more comments below
New User
Severtsentl
0 Kudos

This was so helpful! I just downloaded Volume Control+ and it immediately fixed the problem. What an awesome, free, fix. It was bugging (so to speak) me waaaay too much. Thanks for posting this info.