New User
KM907
0 Kudos

Nook HD problem with covers and bookmarks on sideloaded books.

I just purchased a Nook HD today and am having some issues with a sideloaded book. The book has no cover showing and my bookmarks are not synching either. I have an Acer 510 tablet and a Google Nexus 7, both have the Nook app installed and the cover shows and bookmarks synch fine on both of those devices. On the Nook HD I just get a blank cover and no bookmarks. I have tried synching my library on the HD several times and still nothing shows up. I've even tried erasing and deregistering the device. I've also searched this forum and did not find anything similar to my problems. The book is a DRM free epub purchased from O'reilly media. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD problem with covers and bookmarks on sideloaded books.

The covers never show in the " file" section of your hd. You first have to open it in the  "books" section of your library to access the cover. Do a search in your library-books, then open it. The cover will then show on your carousel, in books, and on your shelf. If it's a DRM'd book you may have to use Calibre to convert and sideload to get the cover to show. If that's the case, do a search on this site for Compulsive Reader's posts on getting covers to show via Calibre.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: covers on sideloaded books, you will need to use calibre and play with it to get the cover to show. (see tags on right, look for calibre, compulsivereader has outlined it somewhere.) 

The rest of your post just has me really curious. How did you sideload your book into the nook android app? I am surprised they are syncing at all. I wonder if you can install the nook app on your HD, and sideload the book, if it will sync as well.(Probably you cant install the nook app on hd, wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt enabled, a little redundant.)

New User
KM907
0 Kudos

I was really surprised that the books synched with no problem on the two Android tablets. I have been playing with the HD a little more and the cover did actually show up in my library after I opened the book the first time, but no luck on the bookmarks. Another thing I just noticed on the HD is that now I have two copies of the book showing up in my library, one works and shows the cover, the other is just a phantom file that will not open, has no bookcover, and wont let me delete it. I deleted the original file and the phantom file is still showing up in my library. This HD is not as user friendly as my Nook color or the Android tablets are. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

When you sideloaded the book on the HD, where did you put it? Theres a built in folder called "MyFiles", underneath it, "Books". Did you try putting the book there?

New User
KM907
0 Kudos

Yes, I put it in \My Files\Books\. I also tried putting it in B&N Downloads\Books\ after deleting it from \My Files\Books\ and I could read the book from both locations but neither one worked for the bookmarks.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

You probably tried this already, but in case you didnt. The HDs dont have the sync button in the library like the NC/NT did. But it you go to your library on HD, in lower left corner, hit the bars, you get a refresh option that will sync your librart. Did you try that?

New User
KM907
0 Kudos

Yes, I tried refreshing it multiple times. I was also able to get the old style synch button that was on the NC/NT to show up and used it quite a few times and basically no luck.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Bummer. I got nothing else. And you came here for help and now Im going to ask you questions.

How did you get the sync button to show up?

How did you sideload the books into the nook for android app?

New User
KM907

Thanks for trying to help, I think I'm just going to bring this HD back and stick with the Android tablets. The books I buy from O'Reilly are all technical manuals and I really need the bookmarks to work.

To get the synch button to come up you need to go into your library, hold the volume up button and then press the title bar "Library" and it will show up, and stay until you power off.

To sideload on the Android tablets I used Astro file manager which is linked to my dropbox account and just copied and pasted the files to my Nook folder. I also used the dropbox app a couple of times and had no problems with either. It was a little easier with Astro file manager because it was just copy and paste. In the dropbox app you need to select the file and 'Export' the file and then just find the foldr and paste it.  

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Thanks for the info. Maybe give it another day or so if you are still in the return period. Someone like roustabout or bobstro may have some better ideas.

If primarily reading technical manuals, you might want to check out Mantano reader (paid version) if exporting highlights and such is important to you. (Though their sync/cloud service involves a fee.)

Hope you get it worked out!