Reader 4
jmooth
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook HD+ shows "device isn't compatible" for many Play apps

Hello,

When I try and install various Play apps, I see a message "Your device isn't compatible with this version" on the app screen in Play.  Examples are American Express, NHL GameCenter, and Wells Fargo Mobile.

Any ideas why so many apps are showing this?  Is this typical for Android devices (I'm new to Android)?

Thanks,

Jerry

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD+ shows "device isn't compatible" for many Play apps

I would assume that these apps are phone-only apps.  Not all apps are available for both types of devices (tablet vs. phone). 

The only other reason I can see for incompatablity is Android version.  Most new apps require 4.0 or above and Nook is indeed 4.0

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

A lot of apps have a list of screen resolutions supported, and the HD+ is larger than that.

Some require a GPS radio or a camera to work. 

I suspect some app developers may have a white list of supported devices as well.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
The_Walrus_43
0 Kudos

Getting same not compatible message on many of apps i have tried to download to my hd+ 2.1. Weird  thing is i have an N2A card for my hd+ and these same apps are compatible via n2a.

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Same here...ok with N2A card, not okay with 2.1. My example is the NASA app which should be fairly pedestrian with its demands. Had a small handful of others but forgot to write them down. I know I could go in and change the build.prop but would prefer to think that those days are over. Otherwise, cudos to BN for this release. Was great watching GoT (HBOGo) and The Borgias (Showtime). Starz app works but was not up-to-date with the latest "Divinci's Demons" episode.
roustabout

Also, do not lightly go changing the build.prop file on the HD or HD+ 

These devices do a fingerprint check of all files in /system at every boot.  If any files are changed, a device reset is performed.  

The rooting method makes use of a mistake in how that was set up and clever use of rebinding, but if you want to modify build.prop or enable boot scripts, you need  to be clear on what you're doing.

I'm surprised that the Play market is vetoing apps that installed on the n2a variant - perhaps a note to teh app developers could get that fixed?

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur

roustabout wrote:

I'm surprised that the Play market is vetoing apps that installed on the n2a variant - perhaps a note to teh app developers could get that fixed?

It's possible B&N needs to change something in the way the Play store sees the device to make those apps available.

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Have not done that with 2.1. I did do it with N2A (Samsung/Nexus 7) in order to get Zinio app to work. It did the trick. Replaced the N2A card with a new 32 gig when I switched to 2.1.
Contributor
MissJessicaLee
0 Kudos

I just assumed that b&n still wants their buck too.  Why else would I have to repurchase puffin from the nook store when I have a perfectly good version on gps?  I didn't dig too deep but it seems that the only ones I'm getting incompatible on are ones available in the nook store...just sayin'

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Let me explain how it works.

When you submit an app to the Play Store you can do one of two things.

1) First option: Specify in the manifest of the app (think of manifest as main data sheet of properties) which TYPE of screens and devices are supported. So you can say - All Extra Large Screens, All Large Screens, etc. Tablets are generally Large (High Definition) and Extra Large.

2) Second Option: Manually select what works and what doesn't. So this is literally 'per device'.

Last year, when we were thinking of submitting an app to Google Play Store we went through this. It's a headache. You would not believe how many Android Devices there are. There are hundreds just from single companies like Samsung. Overall there are thousands and thousands.

So, for the people who make Puffin Browser or Bank of America App or some other app.

It might have happened that

1) They made it for phones but not tablets. Manifest won't let it install on Nook HD or HD+.

2) They made it for phones and normal screen tablets but NOT for extra large screen tablets. Manifest won't let it install on Nook HD+ (but Nook HD can get it).

3) They made an exclusion list which excluded Nook HD and HD+ or perhaps all Tablets. Beccause Nooks didn't have Play Store.

Also, just to be clear - Why would developers restrict to less devices.

Because no user ever says - This app works decently on my device. So it's OK.

Users tend to give a 1-star review saying - This version of Angry Birds does not work PERFECTLY on my Samsung Smart Fridge.

So developers get a natural incentive to go narrower and to leave out devices that may or may not work.

Solution.

Contact the developer of the app and explain what Nook HD and HD+ are and screen sizes and ask for them to extend support.

Device Specs

Note The NOOK HD+ specs are the same as the NOOK HD except as noted.

Feature NOOK HD NOOK HD+

Operating SystemAndroid Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 
Model NumberBNTV400BNTV600
API Level15 
Adobe AIR3.3 
Dimensions194.4 mm long x 127.1mm wide x 11.0 mm deep240.3 mm long x 162.8 mm wide x 11.4 mm deep
Weight300 grams500 grams
CPU ProcessorTI OMAP4470 1.3 GHzTI OMAP4470 1.5 GHz
GPU ProcessorPOWERVR SGX544 
Open GL VersionOpenGL® ES v2.0, OpenGL ES v1.1, OpenVG v1.1, and EGL v1.3 
Display Resolution1440x9001920x1280
Aspect Ratio1.6 (16:10)1.5 (3:2)
RAM1 GB 
Storage8 or 16 GB16 or 32 GB
Removable MemoryMicroSD expandable to 64 GB - See the Removable Memory note 
APK Install LocationMust install to internal memory 
User Agent StringSee User Agent strings.See User Agent strings.
Microphone Audio FormatsAAC, AMR Narrow Band, AMR Wide Band for audio encoding. We recommend AAC for Audio Recording. 
Microphone Sampling Rates8Khz to 44.1Khz for input. We recommend 44.1Khz for better quality. 
Content Audio FormatsMP4, M4A, 3GP, AMR, MP3, OGG, AAC, WAV 
Content Audio CodecsMPEG4, 3GGP, AMR, MP3, OGG, AAC (ADTS), WAV 
Image FormatsJPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP 
Video Hardware Scaling1080p, 720p 
Video FormatsMP4, 3GP, WebM, MKV, MPEG-TS 
Video CodecsMPEG4, 3GPP, WebM, MKV, MPEG-2 TS 
Content File FormatsEPUB, PDF, DOC, DOCX, DOCM, XLS, XLSM, PPT, PPTX, PPTM, PPS, PPSX, PPSM, TXT, HTM, HTML 
KeyboardVirtual QWERTY 
SoftkeysBack and Home 
PowerHardware Power Key 
Volume KeyHardware Volume Up/Down 
Home KeyNOOK key on front 
AccelerometerYes 
USBProprietary connection 
Wi-Fi ConnectivityB/G/N, 2.4 GHz only 
Wi-Fi SecurityWEP, WPA, WPA2, EAP 
HDMI OutYes 
SpeakersStereo 
Headphone Jack3.5mm 
MicrophoneFull duplex 
Bluetooth ProfilesSee Bluetooth Profiles 
Google Cloud Messaging (Push Notifications)No 
Reader 4
jmooth
0 Kudos

This is extremely helpful.  Thanks so much for the detailed reply!

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek

A lot of apps will not run on anything but a phone, not necessarily due to screen size but they insist on an always on internet connection (not wifi) as a minimum requirement... Most banking apps will not run on my Nexus 7 either.. No Starbucks, No Amex, No BoA,  and many developers use the *screen size* to mean no cellular connection.. they don't want to cache the data... Supposedly Discover will work on the 7in and I think the 10.. 

-

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

MissJessicaLee wrote:

I just assumed that b&n still wants their buck too.  Why else would I have to repurchase puffin from the nook store when I have a perfectly good version on gps?  I didn't dig too deep but it seems that the only ones I'm getting incompatible on are ones available in the nook store...just sayin'

I would assume the developer wants their buck, because they went to the trouble and expense of creating a version specifically for the Nook devices.

it it's not just ones available in te BN app store.  The BofA app, the WW app and the Vons app aren't compatible.    Neither is the Nook app.

Wordsmith
daenas

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 7+ and not every app is compatible for it either. But I've found almost all of the apps I have on my Galaxy tab is compatible for my HD+.

I'm just so tickled pink I can GET apps and not just for 5 year olds too!

BTW, you can get different launchers (home screen) for the HD+ plus too, so not stuck with the BN stock launcher.
Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

The Chase Bank app works fine on my Nook HD+, and my wife has a Kindle HD 8.9 (wi-fi only) and it works fine on it too, so I don't think it's the requirement of a phone line or continuous internet.   Just a comment.  I'm baffled myself.  For example, I "side-loaded" an app, Texas Poker, from their website, Pokerist.com, onto my wife's Kindle HD 8.9 through an APK.  It works just fine. It's also an Android based os.  It's in Google Play, but is incompatible for the Nook. The fact we can't side-load through an APK with the Nook is a bit of a negative to me.  I'm not sure why everyone makes it difficult!

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

When I first tried to add an app through the Play Store on my HD+, the first thing I got was some error about it not being able to download to my device.  I logged out of google and logged back into google, and then it worked.  No idea why or what happened.  Worth a try?

roustabout
0 Kudos

Tad writes "The fact we can't side-load through an APK with the Nook is a bit of a negative"

Actually, we can - it's why I bought an HD+, in fact.

To sideload apps, you need ADB installed and the Google USB driver installed.  You may also need to edit the adb configuration file (many folks need to add a BN-specific entry to it) and enable ADB in "developer options" in the Nook settings. 

Once you've done that, you can grab an APK from your computer by using the command

adb install package.apk

where package.apk is the actual name of the apk you want to install.

Full instructions at https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/21943338-NOOK-Developer-Start-Up-Guide

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What Roustabout wrote.

Think of allowing adb but not outright sideloading as two things -

1) Some level of security.

2) Some level of friction.

You can't blame B&N for making it easier to buy apps from their store (and now from Google Play) than to sideload.

or for making it easier to buy books from their store than to sideload.

It also serves the dual purpose of introducing friction for people who pirate books and apps.