Contributor
mrivera27
0 Kudos

Nook HD: updated and now battery drains quickly, apps don't work, library constantly syncing

My title basically explains my issues.  Since I installed the new update that added Google Play, my Nook HD has been very buggy.  The tablet won't stay charged longer than about 3 hours, even when not in use.  The library is constantly syncing.  Also, I can't download my Nook Apps (pandora, evernote, etc) and I ALSO can't download the equivalent from Google Play.  I am getting very annoyed with this new update because my tablet ran great before this. 

Any suggestions?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Re: Nook HD: updated and now battery drains quickly, apps don't work, library constantly syncing

Try these things:

Go to Settings, then Locatin services, and uncheck both options.

Then go to Profiles, Edit, and go to profile you are using and select "Manage Content"

Go down to Apps. Open that up and make sure your nook apps that you are looking for are checked (evernote,pandora, etc.) While you are at it, uncheck any new apps you dont want. 

When you open up your Evernote account, go to settings and change the sync option to what you need.(Auto syncing in background uses more battery even when app isnt open.) 

Turn the unit completely off.  Turn it back on. See if better. Hope that helps.

Contributor
mrivera27
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD: updated and now battery drains quickly, apps don't work, library constantly syncing

Thank you for the reply. I will try doing those things and see if it helps. My location was already turned off. But I will try managing the content.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

You might have to spend a $1 and get the app killer just to identify whats apps are running in the background. The other thing that may be draining your battery is the perpetually syncing of your library. Have no idea whats causing that. Hopefully reboot will fix it. Good luck.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

With location services off and Google Play auto-update settings disabled, I'm seeing good battery life - I set my HD+ aside on Tuesday or Wednesday and woke it today;  it still had 80% battery available.  Wifi was sleeping but not disabled.  I haven't yet reinstalled my RSS reader or email client on the device.  I'll install the reader but not email, since the HD+ is now basically anyone's device in the house. 

Performance felt nice enough when it was new and at this point if I'm only asking it to do one thing it works well enough, but I'm very spoiled by the performance of a tablet I picked up a few weeks back, the Note 8. 

However, that's a fabulously expensive piece of hardware.  It has enough processor grunt that it can run two app windows independently without either seeming to be slowed down. 

Were I tablet shopping now and not needing to replace right away, I'd probably hold off to see what the Nexus 7 has in store.  

If the leaked specs are accurate, it's going to have a 1920 x 1200 resolution display driven by a Snapdragon S4 processor. 

That processor is faster than the Note 8 has, but there are enough more pixels on the display that actual performance may well be a wash.  It probably won't have an SD card slot, and I'm prepared to pay extra for an SD card slot and quite a bit more, it turns out, for an sdcard slot, a stylus and a cpu with a fair bit of grunt. 

However, if the new N7 runs 200-250 for an HD display and a very snappy CPU, I think a lot of folks will want to look hard at it. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Roustabout, the new Google Nexus 7 2 (or whatever it'll be called) certainly looks interesting.

OP, NookGardener answered most of your questions.

I think Evernote and the other app might not be loading due to app store conflicts. If you disable autoupdate from Google Store and uninstall existing versions of those apps (via App Killer) you should be able to download from store.