Reader
ThinkLearnLive
0 Kudos

Nook HD+ very slow

I used to have a Nook Color, and it ran perfectly and was happy, but I wanted the the larger screen, crisper display, and the Google play store and so bought a new HD+. I downloaded the 100+ books that I ordered, and sideloaded the 40,000+ books onto a class 10 (fast) 32 gig SD card. After that the Nook runs very slow. Clicking Library takes 20 secs to load, and selecting "Books" takes 6-10 minutes. Trying to scroll thru the books locks up after a few hundred. The Nook Color had no problems with this.

I've tried fully powering off the HD+ and restarting, no improvement.

I know someone will wonder, how do I have 40K books? Easy. Project Gutenberg (anyone with an e-reader should know this address), and the company I work for has a large number (15K+) of in-house publicly available non-copyright docs available for techs to study and use (ex - ICANN docs, TOS, PHP command reference, known (forbidden) flaws in PHP...)

I'd like to get the full use of my HD+. Anyone have any ideas on how to make the HD+ faster when trying to use a large collection?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD+ very slow

40,000!!!! Yikes! You win! Dont think have seen anyone with that many books before! 

Trying to "scroll" through that many documents would be painful (even if it didnt lock up.)

Ideas:

1) Have you tried the "Search" feature? Finding what you want that way?

2) What about  the "Open Explorer" app? (Yes, I am assuming that you are using some kind of sub-file structure to manage that many documents/books.)

3) Since you're sideloading most of them, you could try the Calibre Companion app. Have no idea how it will respond to that many documents though.  If the app works, would give you ability to manage/find docs through use of metadata.

Let us know what you find out! Good luck!:smileyvery-happy:

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

SD card classes are write speed, not read speed, so the class has nothing to do with how fast your device indexes the files.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Class 10 cards are rated on the basis of streaming a single large file (video) to a freshly formatted card.

Class 6/4/2, OTOH, are rated for accessing a fragmented, multiple file condition (photos and music, where one may have deleted some items then copied more stuff to the card).

While it would be nice to assume that a Class 10 will be faster than a Class 6 when using it for general small file I/O, the specification does not require that.

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
Dan_nook
0 Kudos

Probably you should just forget about using the Library thing. Install ES File Explorer and use that to search for and open books. Alternatively, some reader apps have their own library management (but they can be slow too - FBReader is a decent app in general, for example, but it can't handle lots of books without slowing to a crawl).
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Most folks who use sdcards in android devices seem to be moving back to class 4 cards.  There was early interest in higher speed cards for booting up from, but I think it's faded. 

The class 10 cards were a challenge for many HD+ folks to work with, and once I gave mine away I discovered that the class 10 card worked badly in my samsung device, also - lots of random freezing and some rebooting. 

I'm using a class 4 now and am much happier. 

And as far as the large number of files goes - do use folders, don't move them around too much, and be aware that by default there's a process called media scanner that's going to want to look at every one of them.  That many files is going to tie your device up for a good while at boot time. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

Instead of loading all those books on an SD card I would suggest using to Calibre to store your books on your computer & manage your library. It has a great search function. Then install Calibre Companion from the Google Play store on your Nook HD+. You can use it to either wirelessly sideload the books you want to read more immediately to the device. Alternately, you can use it as a content server to access your entire collection.

I have a large library as well, although not as large as yous. I tried using the SD card method but also found it very slow. This works much better. I only keep about 500 books on the device. When I finish reading them I use Calibre to delete them from the device. (They are only deleted from the device, not from Calibre.) I know a lot of books from Project Gutenburg don't have covers. Calibre will allow you to download metadata & book covers. Calibre is an incredible program & best of all it is free!