Contributor
CorissaRogue
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook HD will not charge, or turn on.

I have a pretty new nook HD, it was a Christmas gift. I've been mostly thrilled with it. It seemed kind of laggy & slow sometimes from the beginning, just a few hiccups. I went to charge it the other day after it died, and I noticed it never popped on by itself like it usually does. Upon further I investigation, I noticed that when I plugged it in, the battery indicator light came on, turned green for about 3 seconds. Then it turned orange for a few more and then goes out. The device still won't turn on. I tried holding power and the n button, but it only got the light to repeat the quick green then orange then off thing. What can I do now?
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD will not charge, or turn on.

Did you leave it plugged in when you went to charge it. Sometimes it takes up to 1/2 an hour to turn on if the battery charge is really low.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
CorissaRogue
0 Kudos

I had it plugged in for quite a while. Is it normal for the battery indicator light to turn on briefly from green to orange and off? That's the only response I can get from the device.
Contributor
CorissaRogue
0 Kudos

I'll add that when it is on the charger (wall charger, it's all I use) pressing any button triggers the light to come on quickly, the same green to orange then off pattern. I pressed the power, the n and the volume up/down and tried holding power and n at the same time. They all have the same response. I'm worried that maybe it is just broken. :/
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Yes, the indicator light has always briefly flashed green then orange on my device. Hold the power button down for 5-10 seconds. You may have engaged a shut down.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

A few things to try

1) Plug it into the wall charger, and leave it overnight. Forget about the button.

2) Plug it into a PC via USb and leave for 4-5 hrs.

3) Press and hold power button for 5 seconds (After the above two steps).

4) Press and hold power button for 30 seconds.

5) Press and hold power button and the physical 'n' button for 30 seconds.

Contributor
CorissaRogue
0 Kudos

That was amazing!!! The computer trick fixed her right up! Thank you so much! You are a genius and a saver of lives and wallets. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
CorissaRogue
0 Kudos

Okay, so now I'm noticing that when I plugged it in, the indicator light is on (orange) and it isn't charging from the wall OR computer. It says it's at 13% and discharging. Hmm...
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Most standard USB ports on a computer will not provide enough current to charge an HD/+.

USB 2 hubs are rated for 500mA distributed among four ports; cheaper computers may onlyhave one internal hub (more expensive units may have a chipset/hub for each group of ports: front, back, and if the have USB3) 

The HD/+ needs something like 1500 mA to charge, especially if the display is active. Turning off the display after connecting to a power supply can help (along with turning off wifi); a standard port sucking the full 500mA would take about 4 times as long to charge.

Even new computers with "charger" ports only provide about 1000mA to the port and that is when the computer is turned off .

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

CorissaRogue wrote:
Okay, so now I'm noticing that when I plugged it in, the indicator light is on (orange) and it isn't charging from the wall OR computer. It says it's at 13% and discharging. Hmm...

You may have damaged the charging cord. Do you have a B&N nearby that you can take it in and have them test it?

Bibliophile
5ivedom

It'll only charge from PC if you have it plugged in and screen is off.

Wall Plug - Charges whether Nook HD/HD+ is on or not.

PC - charges only if HD/HD+ is plugged in and screen is off.

New User
kbaby1
0 Kudos

I am having hte same issue. Tried all the "power button" holds, hold power and N at same time and nothing. Bought new charger thinking mine was bad. Fail. Waste of money as the same thing happens.

Plug in

LED light is green

LED light goes amber

LED light flickers between green and amber

LED goes off completely

If I leave it plugged in for a while, the LED will start to flash off and on RED. Never saw this color before now.

Am willing to try this methods as all else have failed, but I do have a quetsion. You are specific with connecting to computer for 4 to 5 hours. But you said plug it into wall charger first and leave it overnight. My question is this. When you say overnight, is there  a specific amount of time? 24hrs? then proceed or what...

New User
Mac_24
0 Kudos

My nook hd is doing the same thing with the led light changing colors and flashing. I have tried everything that was posted but tono avail. I even took it to B&N and the rep called support and they could do nothing. Looks like I may end up buying another reader, but I don't think it will be a nook. I haven't had it 2 years yet. Very aggravated.

New User
KlausH
0 Kudos

I have had my 9" HD+ for about a year.

I have the same stupid charge problem.

Battery life was fine, then suddenly, it would no longer charge.

I get a green light for about 2 seconds, then a yellow light for 5 seconds.

Sometimes the low battery screen comes up for a couple of seconds, then goes out.

I have tried all the button and usb tricks listed here, and nothing works.

I bought a new charger and cable.

There is a chance the battery may have shorted out, but I suspect a sofware problem.