Reader
becca99
0 Kudos

Nook HD won't charge

My nook HD will not charge. When it's plugged in the green light will come on and then it turns orange and a picture telling me to plug it in comes on. Then there is no light and it doesn't charge. It's only two months old.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD won't charge

If it's only two months old, I'd take it back to the store. Could be a bad Nook or just a bad cable, but it's still covered.
Reader
becca99
0 Kudos

Right. Except I bought it at a best buy out of state. So thought I would post before I dealt with the headache of taking it back lol.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

If you have a B&N close by, still take it in. They can put your device on one of their chargers to helo you figure out if its the charger or the device.

Contributor
iMacj
0 Kudos

I would definitely try another charger first, if replacement or the local Best Buy is a distance away.
Usually when something like you describe happens, and the charge cycle begins but then fails, it is the charger that's bad.
Even then I would want a free replacement since your Nook is only 2 months old.
The connector cable is proprietary but the other end is USB and there are many you can buy, just read the specs on your BN charger. My HD+ states, output 5.1 V @ 2Amps. Just make sure the one you buy is 5V and can deliver the current stated on yours or higher. The device will only draw the amount of current it needs, so if you connected a 3Amp charger it won't hurt it. The voltage however, must match 5V rating, which is standard for all USB.
Contributor
Auntie_Lolo

Also try pushing real har on the 30 pin piece.  I had the same issue when I first got my HD+.  It looked like it was connected but it wasn't really, so it would charge super slowly.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Be sure the end that fits into the wall charger itself is seated carefully also.

A few days ago I had an issue where I'd connect my HD+ but it wouldn't charge.  Looking closely, I found that after connecting, the indicator light would go to green, then to orange, then to blinking orange, and then turn off.

The issue proved to be seating of the cable into the charger, rather than of the device end of the cable into the Nook. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.