New User
jrayon123
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook HD wont turn on

Hi,

I had my Nook HD unused for a couple of weeks and now I can't turn it on.

The tablet has been charging for more than 10 hours.

When I plug the cable the green led lights. It also lights for a few seconds when I push the power button if the power cord is plugged. But any signal of life in the screen.

I've tried to hold on power button for 15-20 seconds and also power button + Nook button and many other tricks I've read in other forums, but anything works. The screen is completely black.

I haven't found any thread with a solution for this specific model and I feel really worried. The tablet is almost new, just 2 or 3 months and used a few times.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you,

Javier

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD wont turn on

If you have already tried to hold both the power and the nook button and it hasn't turned on you should seek out a replacement.

mrskooshie
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Have you tried turning it on whilst it is plugged in?  I seem to remember that the devices only charge when switched on, but not sure how that operates when the battery is very low.  If there is no failsafe for low battery, charging for 10 hours when the device is switched off wouldn't help.

If you can get the device to turn on whilst plugged into the wall socket, you may be able to start a proper charging cycle.

Good luck!

New User
jrayon123
0 Kudos

I tried with the nook plugged and unplugged, no success.

So, you think it is not possible to charge the nook if it is switched off?  I would say that this is an incredible error of design. So, should I consider it lost? I've used several tablets/ebooks in the past and never happened something similar, I'm really disappointed :smileysad:

thank you for your support. Since I do not live in UK nor USA, I can't see how to solve the problem, so it will go directly to the trash :smileysad:

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

There are posts on this forum and on the XDA forum both saying the HD+ will not charge if switched off.  I realise that you have an HD, but the XDA forum post went further and noted that all Nooks need to be switched on to charge.

If you plug in a Nook HD+/ HD that is switched off it is supposed to turn itself on so that it can start to charge up.

I know that the Nook HD+/HD's need a strong electrical current to charge.

Wulfraed posted on a different thread that:

'Standard USB provides 500mA (five units of 100mA distributed over four ports). Some charge-only supplies may provide around 1000mA.

Problem: HD/+ wants closer to 2000mA, especially if the LCD is alive. The HD/+ charger output is 2A @ 5.1V -- all fed to one cable.'

If you are not in USA or UK, your power supply may be the problem.

If you are trying to charge it from your computer, the USB port may not be providing enough power to nudge the HD into turning on.

If you are using an adapter when you plug the HD into the power supply, it may be effecting the current flowing too.

Which method are you using to try and charge it?

New User
jrayon123
0 Kudos

I finally found the solution and you were right: the problem was in the charger. Using a friend's one (apparently same model than mine) immediately I saw the battery icon in the screen and in a few hours it was full charged and working. Both are UK models, so for some reason I think mine is defective. I'll look for a generic charger and I'll have in mind your information about current capacity.

Thank you so much for your help! :smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
AlbionRose

I'm glad it's working!  The UK and USA B&N shops both have international charging cables, so you should be able to find one that works for you - don't know if they will ship internationally.  Maybe find it on Amazon in your country too.

You may find that now the HD is fully charged you can top it up from your pc when the screen is off by plugging the HD cable into your usb port.  

These batteries last much longer if you charge little and often.

Good luck 

:smileyhappy:

New User
Ulazy2

Re: Nook HD wont turn on (SOLVED)

I had the same problem. The answer is the charger. Use the correct usb to AC adapter and it will turn on and start to charge. With a diffrent adapter the light would turn on green for three seconds and then yellow for three to five seconds then off. Correct charger the charge light stays lit and the screen turns on momentarily with the battery indicator at empty, then the screen turns off. NOTE: Using the correct charger will charge your nook in 3-4 hours instead of 10 with a non nook adapter. Thanksfor the help. Problem SOLVED!!
New User
golfballmb
0 Kudos

1. Hold the Power and the Home button for several seconds. 

2. The nook will go into a Factory Reset screen with instructions. 

3. I backed out of the Factory reset screen by pressing teh power button and my Nook HD came up running.

4. You can reset the nook to factory defaults if you the previous step did not work.

Good luck,

Mike

New User
L1L_R3D_F0X
0 Kudos

I'm not sure, But i don't really think it is the charger. mine is doing the same thing. It has done it before. me and my sister share the same charger, and both of our tablets werent turning on, so my mom bought us a new charger, and they were working again, and then a few weeks later, mine starts acting up again, but my sisters is working fine. when she plugs it in, it charges it. my light just turns green, then orange, then off. It might be the battery. because i keep it plugged in 24/7 and it turns off 5 minutes after unplugging it.