Contributor
daisysmamu
0 Kudos

Nook apps in Google Play

Just got an HD+, in addition to my NC and NST.  I've noticed that Nook apps show up in Google Play. Can I update these apps in Play, or is it better to not "cross pollinate"?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Nook apps in Google Play

The nook will not allow you to install the Play store nook app onto it.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

I believe what daisysmamu is referring to is apps that appear in both Nook and Play stores (like Netflix for instance)

The behavior I have noticed is:

1) Most Nook apps will show in the Play store but be noted as already installed.  Those not listed as already installed may be slightly different (different publisher, tablet vs phone, etc)

2) I have turned off automatic updates in my Play Store app (tap 3-squares icon top right, tap settings, tap auto-update apps the text should change in the listing).  This allows me to choose the apps to update and also seems to stop Play from looking for Nook apps to update also.

3) Others have noted here that if you do try  to update a Nook app through Play store you may get an "unable to perform action" error (or some-such) from the device, or if the update is successful the Nook may try to overwrite it anyways.  Check for Nook updates often in the App menu.

Sort of the same topic:  In choosing which version of the app to get in the first place, if it is available in the Nook store I would get it there.  Nook apps are specifically vetted for Nooks, where Play apps are trying for compatability with hundreds of devices.  Price vs. free-with-ads being a consideration for those on a budget.

My 2 cents and observations

Frequent Contributor
Loves_Laughter
0 Kudos

Can you use your Nook Friends if you update apps such as Twitter & Facebook to Google ??
Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

I agree with Schwa 100%. I kept all my paid Nook apps rather than update the compatable ones in the GPS because I feel they run better. The only update I did get from GPS was the Dolphin browser and Flash plug-in. There is more of a selection of add ons for the Dolphin browser in GPS. If you do update you should get a warning that the app will be replaced and your Nook app will be archived.

Contributor
daisysmamu
0 Kudos

Thanks!