New User
SteveDubya
Accepted Solution

Nook fails to start after 2.1 update

I assumed that everything installed correctly after the 2.1 update last night, as I was able to successfully start and shut down my Nook HD+ several times; however, now it will not load past the 99% screen - I've left it here next to me for the last 5 minutes or so after having this problem occur several times in the last half hour.

Is there a way to reset the Nook if I can't get it to start?

New User
AnnieB01
0 Kudos

Re: Nook fails to start after 2.1 update

I am having the same problem with my Nook HD. When I go to start it up, it will not load past the 99% screen. Is this a bug with the update?
New User
AnnieB01

[ Edited ]

I was told by tech support to perform a factory reset on the device. Here is what they told me verbatim, "To initiate a hard reset on the device tap and hold on the power button and the n button simultaneously for around 1 minute. The device will prompt for factory fallback, tap on the n button to initiate a factory reset."

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Before doing the hard reset, remove your SD card if you have one inserted.

The boot to 99% and hang thing is something that folks have seen occastionally in development settings and may be triggered by a different set of things than we'd thought.  

It's been clearable by removing that card for those of us who've run into it so that may help here as well - Nooks are very finnicky about sdcards that are unusual or in unusual states.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Also, please let us know what works for you.

New User
SteveDubya
0 Kudos

I did the factory reset and that appears to have fixed the issue; at the very least, the Nook has been able to shut down and start up half a dozen times without further problems, and I do have an out if this happens again.

I am pretty glad that there wasn't anything on there that I couldn't lose.

New User
ashzidi
0 Kudos

So I did the hard reset but I lost some of my apps and the pictures I had downloaded. Is there a way to get those back?

Frequent Contributor
rmo56
0 Kudos

not the pictures unless you backed them up somewhere else....the apps....redownload them if they are free

( check google play if they weren't)

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I have a question. Is there a reason you are shutting it down so often instead of letting it go to sleep and waking it up when you go to use it? If it installed correctly the first time, there's no reason to be shutting it down so often.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

ashzidi, apps are all in your Archived Items. Just click on Settings/Menu button at bottom left on Apps Page. then tap on 'Archived Items'. Then find the Apps and move them back.

Also, go to SEttings and Profiles and check whether the apps are allowed to work on your device or not.

New User
SteveDubya
0 Kudos

"Is there a reason you are shutting it down so often instead of letting it go to sleep and waking it up when you go to use it?"

I use the Nook quite a bit and tend to burn through the battery life pretty much once a day (oh, games, you'll be the death of me), so rather than have it just expire overnight I shut it completely down.

This is also somewhat of a holdover from what we discovered we needed to do with the Nook Tablet(s) we have, as if they aren't completely shut down from time to time, they do odd things.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Really? I don't think Nook HD and HD+ have the same problem (shut them down or they'll do odd things).

It's an interesting thought. Wonder if shutting down completely would fix some of the strange things users have reported about HD and HD+.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

You might be on to something there, the turning it off once in awhile.Personally, I dont turn mine off every night, maybe once a week. (Old habits die hard, thats what worked best for me on the NT.) Still getting vrry good performance and battery life, just like out of box. Wonder if that does have something to do with it.

Reader 2
GymSox
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is what happened to me this morning. I tapped in the upper LH corner to change profiles, tapped on the profile I wanted to change to, got a blink then a black screen. After several seconds, nothing happened so I powered down to reboot. Now it won't go past 99%. I tried your solution above and do not get the factory reset prompt after more than a minute.  I do not have a SD disk in the unit.

My Nook HD+ is less than 2 weeks old, I'll probably be taking it back over lunch. If the store can't help me, other exchanging it, I'm going to be real bummed having to reload and reset everything again.

Reader 2
GymSox
0 Kudos

Looks like I may have got it to reset by holding down the n while it rebooted.  Unfortunately I'm not where I can access WiFi at the moment and now I'm stuck on the connection screen.  Still going back to the store at lunch to see what they say.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

You should try pressing power button and 'n' button for 30 seconds. That fixes it for some people.

Taking it into the store is a good idea. Quite a few people are getting the 'Stuck at 99%' issue.

Reader 2
GymSox
0 Kudos

When I got to the store the set up, registration, and update, I thought completed. When I got home and had time to check everything out I discovered it did not update to 2.1.0 so I started the update. After all night and no WiFi interruption, it did not download, the graph bar showed it didn't even pull in 1/2 the download.

This morning I followed the instructions to pull it over from my computer to the Nook. After several minutes it still does not show that it has updated but the download graph bar is gone.

If after doing some morning chores it still has not upgraded I'm afraid this lemon is going back for hopefully a good copy.
New User
digital_witch
0 Kudos

soved too!! :smileyhappy:
New User
ceberwick
0 Kudos

Tapping and holding the nook button on the Nook HD did not restart it. bimib@aol.com

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

I thought you had to hold the power button down too... best check by putting  stuck at 99%  into the search box top right of this page and reading the threads about this issue.  They should give pecise instructions.

Good luck!