Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

[ Edited ]

Growls, you have failed to say when you purchased your Nook HD, but since this thread is only 2 weeks old, I am going to guess the purchase was in August.  If that is true, that means you failed to do your pre-purchase research.  The Google/full Android upgrade happened in May, and has been advertised in all media and with all the tech news.  If you purchased your Nook HD prior to the May upgrade, then you might have a sincere issue but you should have come to this forum a lot sooner.

There are several very knowledgeable people that read this forum and offer suggestions.  One of them is roustabout, he has posted in this thread a solution to you issue.

Others here have politely tried to tell you use another browser if you don't like Chrome, so what you have an extra step or two, that is the way it is.

If you need Comic Book Reader capability, there should be some good Android Apps you can get off Google that will meet your needs.

Personally as a Nook Color owner, and now a Nook HD owner, the May upgrade to allow Google Play android apps, and the tie-in with Google has been nothing but positive, and most Nook HD/HD+ purchasers would agree.  I paid $149 for my Nook HD,  I just bought for my son (college age, per his request) the latest Nexus 7 32gig for $269, however the 16 gig model is only $229.   So there is an $80 difference in price, yet I can tell you comparing the two side by side there isn't $80 difference in performance or quality. 

You have a great android device at a great price....  If you don't like it then sell it and get a Nexus 7

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

baltoreader wrote:
At least could they let me delete the apps in which I have NO interest??

Just deactivate the apps for your account.

Tap your name in the top left corner of the home screen, tap "Edit Profiles", tap your profile, tap "Manage Content", then uncheck the boxes for the apps you have no interest in.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

baltoreader wrote:
At least could they let me delete the apps in which I have NO interest??

I have apps on my phone ththat I can't delete.  one that immediately comes to mind is NFL mobile.  I'll  never use it but I can't get rid of it.  When I had my galaxy tablet there were apps on it I. Couldn't get rid of. This seems to be an Android thing.

Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

As I bought the device just before the first over the air update I'm sure I did my product research correctly. After all its not like B&N  added oh btw we are going to change our minds and do a deal with Google because we ain't making the wonga our mba think we should.

It is my device , If chose not to  take updates then yes B&N may havea case to say well if there is any problems you are on your  own as that was fixed in a later update.

I bought this device outright not rented / licensed it. B&N have no authority to do anything to it without my  consent.

If I sold you a car and then came and updated it without your  permission making it perform  worse on the very features you bought it for you would rightly complain, where is the difference beyond the relative cost.

I have refered this matter to   my countries trading standards dept.

Yes there has been good advice given in this thread and I have used some of it. Admitedly I have a lot to learn about using android skillfully as a lot of 'basic' operations do not seem to be documentedfor beginners.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

growls, I'm not how far you're going to get in your complaint to the 'trading standards dept.' as I believe there is a clause in the TOS about accepting all future updates as a part of activating the device. Good luck though.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

Id just like them to make the updates optional. So I can just set thedevice up how  I want it andthen just go back to reading on it. If  the rest of the nook users want to update to all singing and dancing device that in my oppinion dosnt do anything well. who am I to stop  you.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I think most users would prefer that option. Unfortunately that's never been the case.
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

kamas716: I think most users would prefer that option. Unfortunately that's never been the case.

You're right - B&N has never made their updates optional. Ever since the Nook Color, updates have been pushed to the devices when B&N deems them necessary. Sometimes that has seemed to go over better than others.

Contributor
Megthered
0 Kudos

Maybue it's just my HD but I just updated today, after nearly a month. My Nook asked if I wanted to update and I kept saying no. It wasn't intrusive, it was in my settings with a little pop up bubble on the top of my screen. I just said no or ignored it. It didn't demand that I upgrade. None of my Android devices demand that I update, they always ask unless I have it checked for auto update. I think the OP was looking for something to growl about since his complaints could be fixed. I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 and a Galaxy Note 8.0 and my husband has a ASUS Transformer tablet, but we read on our Nook HD's. I love the little thing. 

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Hmmm. I've never seen a dialog box like that on any of my Nooks. Mine (Color and Tablet; not sure my HD+ has updated since I got it in May) have always updated without asking first - or if they asked, it was at a time when I wasn't around to decline and they went ahead and did it after a certain amount of time.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

My hd+ definitely updated without my being around.

At that time, I'd applied one software fix to prevent it happening, but had not applied the white on white fix.  The software fix was a sqlite hack that supposedkly told the device not to check for or apply ota updates.

I'm delighted to have gotten rid of the thing, and my gf's kid likes it pretty well. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

kamas716: I think most users would prefer that option. Unfortunately that's never been the case.

You're right - B&N has never made their updates optional. Ever since the Nook Color, updates have been pushed to the devices when B&N deems them necessary. Sometimes that has seemed to go over better than others.

It's for support reasons. Having every person update their devices on their own would mean that a lot of people would never bother updating their devices, causing issues with fixed bugs and new features. It's industry standard for a good reason.

@OP: You agreed to allowing BN to push software updates when you registered your device. You don't have any legal recourse, especially given how patently simple it is to disable all the Google services on an HD series device.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

TnTexas wrote:

It's for support reasons. Having every person update their devices on their own would mean that a lot of people would never bother updating their devices, causing issues with fixed bugs and new features. It's industry standard for a good reason.

True.  But with my laptops I assume the responsibility for problems if I haven't updated.  I don't see why we can't have the same option, with the same assumption of responsibility, with our Nook devices as with our other electonics.

Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

"@OP: You agreed to allowing BN to push software updates when you registered your device. You don't have any legal recourse, especially given how patently simple it is to disable all the Google services on an HD series device."

except for 2 things  under consumer law  in my country by altering the device and breaking the function I purchased it for at the time they have rendered unfit for purpose.

And I also seem to remember   having to register the device   and it updating  BEFORE I could even read the terms and conditions  ALSO invalid  under Europen law.

currenly Im still waiting a response back in regards to my  complaint.  

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"updating  BEFORE I could even read the terms and conditions"

Not how I remember this.  I just wiped and reset to stock an HD+ last night (forgot I'd put it in demo mode for the recipient) and he had to accept the terms and conditions before he could register it with BN.  He may or may not have read them, but they were displayed. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

You may be correct  I did actually mean to type from memory  as I registered it a while ago. But it acidentally  made the browser go back  to another page and lost what I enetered the first time. Its not the easiest device to type on.

Anyways  this whole thing may become academic anyways as it looks like the device is going faulty (ie wont turn on on with a micro sd inserted/

It should be replaced under warranty  but either way Ill be voting with my wallet  and not givingB&N any more of my money. I doubt  they will care but  its the limit of what i can do.

roustabout

I think you may well be happier with a different but more expensive device.  The newest Samsung screens are apparently built to do fairly good power conservation, but they're going to be very spendy this close to launch. 

I use the Nook app to read all the time still and will likely preorder the new Pynchon novel using it, but at this point the only nook-branded device I'm using is the Simple Touch Glow, and it not that often. 

I have yet to see as good a browser / readability play as the HD+ browser was at launch, though.  That was super nice. 

For a BN HD replacement, the new Nexus is very fast and light, but has poorly balanced colors on the screen and no memory expansion.  If you're willing to pay a bit more the Tab 3 8 at 300 USD has a larger screen at lower res, better color balance, and I think an SD expansion slot.  The downside is a somewhat slower device than the Nexus - but probably comparable to the HD.  If you want higher performance, the Note 8 performs as well as the Nexus and again has an expansion slot.  You pay a premium for it, though, and battery life isn't great.  The lower resolution isn't a big deal - I have both the new nexus and a note 8 and I'm using the Note almost exclusively. 

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

I complained once about the automatic updates on my NT and got quoted chapter and verse from the TOS. Wasn't happy about the tone, but the message was clear and understood. I feel that I don't have to like something as long as I understand it. As for the update to the HD/HD+, I love it. Nobody likes eveything about anything. Grousing about it just serves to assuage your emotions and rile up others'. BTW: my wife has an iPhone that is still on iOS 4! :smileyvery-happy: No forced updates there!

Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

oh so its grousing when you buy something to read graphic novels on which works then they break it previous update so it won't do that function at all. Then the latest update only partially fixes this and you wouldn't complain?

No wonder the world things americans are sheep.

bobstro

The world keeps buying our products. We're the sheep. Got it.