Reply
flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,042
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

[ Edited ]

kamas716 wrote:

True.  But with my laptops I assume the responsibility for problems if I haven't updated.  I don't see why we can't have the same option, with the same assumption of responsibility, with our Nook devices as with our other electonics.


People won't accept responsibility, though. The culture of "the customer is always right" has progressed so far that it's almost impossible to convince someone that maybe, just maybe, sometimes there is a problem between the chair and keyboard.

 

You wouldn't believe the number of people I used to deal with who would refuse to even let me try to troubleshoot a device - at the first sign of any problem they would demand a replacement ("...and it better be brand new, none of that CPO stuff!") and complain to my managers if I could fix the problem without replacing the device. Working in tech support is a terrible job these days.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,945
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

The explain, FT, why on just about every other Android-based device I own, I am offered the option to not download updates, either from the carrier in the case of my phone, or the manufacturer in case of my tablets, and I have the option to review every update proffered by the Google Play Store. The insistence on downloading updates is unique to B&N in my experience, at least among this class of device.

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,042
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
Registered: ‎11-11-2009

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

The explain, FT, why on just about every other Android-based device I own, I am offered the option to not download updates, either from the carrier in the case of my phone, or the manufacturer in case of my tablets, and I have the option to review every update proffered by the Google Play Store. The insistence on downloading updates is unique to B&N in my experience, at least among this class of device.


I don't know what you're using, but my HOX forces me to autoupdate as well, as does my XBox 360, my Chromebook, and numerous competing platforms like the Kindle line of devices. Even Nexus phones autoupdate nowadays. The only thing I can think of offhand that I own that doesn't autoupdate is my iMac, but that still automatically downloads system updates in the background (even when I'm doing stuff, which is an utter PITA because of how badly Software Update slows down the system), it just requires me to actually install the update manually.

 

Autoupdates are rapidly becoming the industry norm because they offer tangible benefits to the companies that have to deal with customer issues, as well as resolving most customer issues without any need by the company to specifically get people otherwise disinclined to dig through settings menus to approve a bugfix patch. You may not like them personally, but that doesn't mean that they're a bad idea.

 

E: And for fun, I just launched Rome: Total War and had to update the game before I was allowed to play. Again, this is becoming industry standard - you can complain that you don't like it, but don't go on an anti-BN crusade when there are good reasons everyone is doing it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,945
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

People wouldn't complain so much about B&N doing it if B&N weren't so adept at breaking things when they do it. Games make sense, since there's always the war against cheats. No idea about Nexus devices. Every Android gizmo I own, including the Motorola phone (Google) let's me turn auto updates on or off in the Setting options. You can argue that many companies are doing it, but defending B&N on the basis that all are doing so is silly.

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,042
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

I'm not defending BN on the basis that everyone is doing it - I'm defending BN on the basis that autoupdates make customer service far easier for everyone involved, reduce platform fragmentation, and make it easier for the people who aren't tech savy at least keep relatively up-to-date with bug fixes and new features.

 

You stated that BN was the only company that did it, which is why I started listing off all the other OEM's and platforms moving to an autoupdate system.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,945
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

I stated that forced updates are unique to this class of device IME in contrast to your statement that "... It's industry standard for good reason." If it's industry standard among games and consoles, I don't see how that is more significant than the number of similar device manufacturers that don't do it.

 

B&N may well have reasonable justification for some of the updates, but they can't seem to avoid the temptation to "improve" other things in the process, often breaking otherwise-working functionality.

 

Sure, there may be other companies doing it. Just not so ineptly.

 

 

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,042
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

[ Edited ]

Oh please, you know that's not true. Apple just launched their new iOS this week and has already had to patch two major security issues. Bugs will always happen, it's just part and parcel of technology.

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
Posts: 73
Registered: ‎05-05-2011

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

FWIW, there really aren't that many devices to compare with when saying what is "standard" or not. What I mean with that is that Nooks have been marketed and sold, not as "open" devices but rather as devices meant to work with BN stuff. Therefore price has been lower than similar hardware elsewhere (Nook hardware specs has been really impressive at the time of launch). I suspect that may be part of the reason BN wanted to "control" the software updates. I say wanted because the last one I got I could actually decline. Yes, it kept nagging me at boot, but I was in control and could choose when to install it.
Either way, the spring update that opened the HD/HD+ to Google was what the vast majority of owners wanted and was over the moon to get. I understand that the OP wasn't, but honestly, would you really have chosen not to do it had you had the option BEFORE doing it? What you are complaining about, would you have realized you would have those concerns BEFORE the update, had you been given a choice? My guess is that most people, even those that complain now, would have done the update anyway because it added something that (most) people wanted.
Contributor
growls
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-22-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

I simpy have no use for it, for me its just clutter and means I have to do more housekeeping every time  they push an update on me. I appreciate  that for a lot of other people  this is not the case and the updates  made their device bastly more  functional for them.

 

 

Other more android savy people  have posted in this thread  work arounds and  information  that yes I have  used but at the same time there is  still a lot  of recently added cruft  that  is on the device because its not documented what  various  google services etc do and what it effects to disable them or if  allowed even uninstall them.

 

for example for some reason the youtube  app  has developed the dreaded this app has  stopped message all the time  * but will work if if I delete it  and go back to the default factory 'stock' one. However this  gets updated  if my device then syncs with my desktop.

 

I acknowledge the possibiltiy its something I have done  due to stopping something or  installing something  but that does illustrate the point I am making,  by forcing  chrome on me and  breaking  both flash and cbz  I am forced to install  other software to simple  restore back the functionality it had when I bought it .

 

As has allready been said  I would be perfectly happy to be unsupported  by not upgrading because the device at the time I bought it did the  task I wanted it to  do.  The current upgrade has restored  some of what the previous one completely broke but  it still isnt as stable as the  older versions were and this ruins the experience of a new book etc. 

 

 

The simply fact is with the prior update for  B&N took my  money and then  made the device unfit for purpose which they stated it would do  and  thus meant I bought ie they broke something that belongs to me it would no long do the fundamental task I bought it to do

 

I may have  an old fashioned  outlook  but Id rather have one device that did one thing  exceptionally than a device that  does  all things so so.

 

 

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
Posts: 73
Registered: ‎05-05-2011

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?


growls wrote:

I may have  an old fashioned  outlook  but Id rather have one device that did one thing  exceptionally than a device that  does  all things so so.

 

 


Oldfashioned it may be, but I confess, I'm the same in many ways! :smileywink:  For example, I still carry an MP3 palyer instead of using my phone for that even though I could. (That darn thing needs charging often enough as it is, thank you very much!) 

I'm thrilled about the update because I bought the HD/HD+ to use as a Tablet more than a reader. But that's me, and I totally understand that others may think diffrently!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,647
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

growls, another thought:  buy a nook tablet. 

 

You won't get the Play Store on it, and in all likelihood it'll never see another update.  You will have the integrated cbz reading, I'm pretty sure.  You'll still have the old AOSP style browser, albeit not with the "read it now" plugin that made the original Nook HD/+ browser so nice.  The screen resolution is lower than the HD, but the store integration is there. 

 

And it ought to be cheap.  Newegg has brand new ones (aka with warranty) for 130, and I'm seeing used ones for half of that. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
growls
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-22-2013

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

Thanks for the   idea but Im voting with my feet  it may very well be a  futile gesture on my part but its all I can do  B&N  are not getting another penny of my  money.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
Posts: 90
Registered: ‎06-21-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

Every time I read this all that comes to mind is Waaaaaa!

Some people are high maintainance.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,945
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

That attitude explains why the NOOK family of products commands its current sales ranking among competing products. Stupid customers and their expectations.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
Posts: 293
Registered: ‎01-18-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

 


roustabout wrote:

  You'll still have the old AOSP style browser, albeit not with the "read it now" plugin that made the original Nook HD/+ browser so nice.  


Can you explain what the "read it now" plugin does? I am unfamilar with this since I never preferred the AOSP browser.

And FWIW, there are B&N stock roms one can flash to revert back to a specific B&N version and alleged techniques to prevent B&N updates. Caution: HD and HD+ versions are different. Get the correct one...

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Contributor
growls
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-22-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

"Stupid customers and their expectations."  annd that explains stupid americans  and their  consumer protection legalisaltion . 

 

B&N have no automatic right to my money, They are no longer offering  me anything I want for it in return and they dont care  about me as they allready have my  meoney,  so why should I care if they  cant turn a profit in the market?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,647
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

@growls:  I think bobstro's comment was directed to the poster who chimed in to criticize your complaint that BN has taken away a couple of nice features from your device in the course of delivering the (granted, more popular) play store access.

 

@bluepen:  the "article view" button in the browser which shipped on the HD/HD+ was a really excellent Readability integration play.  On any page you were viewing in the stock browser, hitting "article view" rerendered the page as text and did a great job of stripping out animation, advertising and cruft.  On some websites, it was almost the only way to get a legible rendering of the page.  USA Today, for instance, did really poorly at supporting Android browsers a year ago.  It's still not too good, but is improved.  Still, if you try zooming in on a USA Today article's text, everything else enlarges as well, meaning the annoying navigation cruft that USA Today loads on every page zooms in and obscures text. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
Posts: 293
Registered: ‎01-18-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?


roustabout wrote:

@bluepen:  the "article view" button in the browser which shipped on the HD/HD+ was a really excellent Readability integration play.  On any page you were viewing in the stock browser, hitting "article view" rerendered the page as text and did a great job of stripping out animation, advertising and cruft.  On some websites, it was almost the only way to get a legible rendering of the page.  USA Today, for instance, did really poorly at supporting Android browsers a year ago.  It's still not too good, but is improved.  Still, if you try zooming in on a USA Today article's text, everything else enlarges as well, meaning the annoying navigation cruft that USA Today loads on every page zooms in and obscures text. 


Hmm... Opera browser, both pc and mobile versions, has had that feature for years, but without the needless button. Just stretch/zoom the view and the text gets formated to fit the width (if it exceeds the width). In Opera beta version 16.1.1212.63537 for android, there is a setting Text wrap that needs to be checked. And you can still pan the rest of the web page.

 

Though, it's not the Article View that appears in some Nook magazines (Guideposts magazine for example), which is a dedicated column of text overlays the dimmed magazine article. But the feature does serve for simple and easy text reading at a text size of your choosing.

 

Ha! With that said, USA Today is definitely browser specific. Zooming any USA Today page in Opera beta forces the 'social' icons near the left margins to overlap the text or other content, plus there is other content encroaching over the text as one scrolls or pans the page. Pretty blatant abuse of 'standards compliance' by USA Today. Just what I need, more useless 'social app' interference.:smileysad:

 

Opera (Mobile) Classic renders the USA Today correctly when stretched/zoomed and the text wrapping is correct. No "annoying navigation cruft". :smileyhappy: 

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,647
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

[ Edited ]

For me, article view in the old browser was much better than the pinch or tap zoom with text wrap that many browsers do, and I just installed Opera to get a look.  

 

It really was close to article view in a magazine subscription, or to the view of articles available in Newsrob.

 

I actively do not want all elements available on pages sometimes - if I'm reading a long piece, I like having only that, and have it 'locked' so I won't sidescroll or accidentally hit and follow a link.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,945
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

growls wrote:

"Stupid customers and their expectations."  annd that explains stupid americans  and their  consumer protection legalisaltion. 

 

You need to read the entire post in context of the thread, growls. I was originally sympathetic to your cause and agreeing with you (to an extent). Now you've just convinced me you're whining. Go away. Nobody cares.