Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

Iie can I have a device without all that google crap and  a google browser I didnt chose to install  nor want to use. Also can you stop forcing up dates on me with this garbage I do not want.

If not  can I have my money back Ias I consider you have changed it so much from the device I researched and bought you have rendered it unfit for  purpose.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Nook hd - can I have the device back I bought ?

You can probably do a factory reset and then keep wifi off so it doesn't update. You might be able to find a script somewhere that you can run from an SD card to keep it from updating if you do an internet search or check the XDA forums.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61

Interesting comment and observation. You do have the device you bought. It is designed for you to read and watch media you decide to purchase from Barnes and Noble. Expect and endure the annoyance, if any. Otherwise find a different device.

I love using my NookColor Nook HD 8 gb. I loved using my NookColor for 3 years. This HD rocks. 

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP

I still have the HD+ I got originally. I have never opened the Google play store, I use the Dolphin browser, I still only buy apps and books from the B&N store. Just because the stuff is there doesn't mean I have to use it.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Simplest way to go back to B&N-only device is to go into your account on the Nook, tap to manage content and untick all the apps you don't want - so all google apps and google play store, & probably twitter & facebook too.  

That way when you go back to the home screen there is no sign of anything Google related at all.

And you just continue using the B&N store to buy your content a you did before.

Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

And when they update  it again I have do  to do all that again ,  Your missing the point it's my device  NOT Barnes and Noble They want to put extra crap on  on their devices thats fine do it with the new ones before they sell it, at least that way I get the choice  or not by parting with my money.

There are a whole shed load of those crappy google products and other apps   that either wont disable or not enough information is given about them  to know  which ones are safe to turn off you turn them all off and other stuff breaks. 

Also for example the new app that replace 'talk' or vice versa  uses a whole slew of  permissons I would never give it  yet I have no choice about in being forceable being installed.

You might have little in the way of  the way to privacy or consumer rights in the US but  they sell this product in other countries were the consumer does.

Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

And a little something I forgot  , I do have to use it as one of the terms and conditions   to get the google apps  license B&N agreed to use  chrome as the default browser breaking functionality  at least the older stock broweser could use the flash player plugin.

Before you comment flash is available on the B&N store   it is but ONLY in the USA. Also  there is no way  to  change the default system browser  away from chrome.  SO I have to use that  that product for system functions. I made a choice I bought a product based on Android that didnt have all that google stuff on it nor  chrome.

Now after taking my money B&N believe they have the right to  force me to use chrome?  Well   lets just say  they wont ever get a penny  of my money again

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

You do realize that you also won't be able to use flash (readily) on any other mobile device?  You do realize that no one is forcing you to use Chrome as there are multiple free browsers available that many prefer?  That's like saying Microsoft is forcing IE and Apple forces Safari.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

[ Edited ]

growls wrote:

Also for example the new app that replace 'talk' or vice versa  uses a whole slew of  permissons I would never give it  yet I have no choice about in being forceable being installed.

This may come off a little snarky but I am actually trying to help.

Here is a list of the very scary* permissions for Hangouts (replaces Talk):

Your Messages (read SMS or MMS, read instant messages, receive SMS)

- this is an instant message app, it would be silly if it did not have this permission

Storage (Modify/delete SD card contents)

- If YOU decide to save a message or attachment, this enables the app to actually do so

System Tools (change network connectivity, prevent tablet from sleeping)
- if your Wifi is off when you try to send a message it will access the menu which pops up the box asking you to enable wifi, preventing sleep does just that but only while you are using the app

Services that cost you money (send SMS messages)

- if you are using a phone/data connection (you are not with a Nook) be aware connection/texting fees apply

Hardware controls (change audio settings, record audio, take pictures and video)

- if YOU choose to do any of these, the app will be able to

Your accounts (manage account list, use authentication credentials)
- being a Google service, this allows it to auto login as your Google account without asking every time

Phone calls (read phone state and identity)
- not applicable, but may allow it to tell the interwebz that data is being sent from a Nook (advertising and data usage tracking, here is a possible privacy tin foil hat alert*)

Network Communication (Control Near Field Communication, create Bluetooth connections, full Internet access)

- being that this is an Internet service, if YOU chose to use the service you would want it to actually talk to the internet, yes?

* sarcasm

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

growls: And a little something I forgot  , I do have to use it as one of the terms and conditions   to get the google apps  license B&N agreed to use  chrome as the default browser breaking functionality  at least the older stock broweser could use the flash player plugin.

Before you comment flash is available on the B&N store   it is but ONLY in the USA. Also  there is no way  to  change the default system browser  away from chrome.  SO I have to use that  that product for system functions. I made a choice I bought a product based on Android that didnt have all that google stuff on it nor  chrome.

Now after taking my money B&N believe they have the right to  force me to use chrome?  Well   lets just say  they wont ever get a penny  of my money again

Good News! Chrome may be the default browser, but you don't have to use it. I use Puffin on mine; so far it has flash support. Others say the Dolphin browser does as well.

Here are some alternate browsers I found in B&N's app store:

Puffin - free version (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/puffin-web-browser-free-cloudmosa-inc/1108148934?ean=2940043877833)

Puffin - paid version (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/puffin-web-browser-cloudmosa-inc/1110110776?ean=2940043892997)

Dolphin - (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dolphin-browser1001-mobotap-inc/1116231665?ean=2940043876461)

Maxthon - (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/maxthon-web-browser-for-nook-maxthon/1109557078?ean=2940043889133)

Maxthon Kid Safe - (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/maxthon-kid-safe-web-browser-maxthon-ltd/1113127766?ean=294004392438...)

Thuban - (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/thuban-browser-thuban/1114877156?ean=2940147111062)

Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

So what I don't use those features at all if I wanted them , I would have bought a device that had them in the first place. Having had to use this device for the last 2 days due to a desktop failure, I have come to see what a truelly awefully unit it is. The random browser crashes, the reader and cbr reader getting confused on large documents then crashing and I did buy it on those features. The time when the screen just stops responding to any input for long periods of time or where it just seems to go nuts and do whatever it wants not what you selecting. Do you know how much of pain it is to have to keep switching browsers due to default one tied to the web icon will no longer accept flash when the rest of the world does? The old stock browser would use flash if you side loaded it. I bought a device to be good at one thing read cbrs and books with a little browsing as a bonus. With the previous to last forced upgrade they broke cbr, now the new fixed one has random chrashes when you try to uses the carasel feature thing to move though books or even if you flick through pages quickly. If I wanted a 'full' android tablet I would have bought a Nexus, would I recommend this unit to any one even with the nice screen hell no
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

If you reset the HD and take only the first round of updates (to 2.0.6, IIRC) and then visit the XDA developers' forums about the device, you can (with care) root the device and apply the "white on white" fix outlined there.

That fix changes a key system file which will prevent future updates from being applied, which will in turn let you keep using the (very nice) stock browser with the (better than any replacement, and I've tried many) readability plugin - the "article view" button integrated into the browser. 

Yes, this is  clunky and annoying to need to do, but it worked for me until I got tired of how slow the HD+ tended to get and gave the device away.  I haven't spent as much time with Mom's HD;  it may well be a better, or at least less prone to stuttering, device since the screen has fewer pixels to draw using more-or-less the same graphics processing. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
nelliebellie
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear. I believe you can change your browser if you desire. I have use dolphin, mozilla and now using chrome and so far really like it. I went into settings and turned off all the sync's to avoid many updates, etc. There are a lot of options you can control so don't give up on it yet as I am still finding out new things all the time. Good luck..
Contributor
nelliebellie
0 Kudos

There are tons of xerox apps and games on google play and I use both bn & google. Just check out how you want your settings to control your nook. Have fun
Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Reader 4
EclecticHobbies
0 Kudos

Thank you for this information. I have the same privacy concerns, but you have explained some terms which would be helpful right there on my Nook HD.
Contributor
growls
0 Kudos

You can not disable chrome it is tied to the web icon when you press the nook button as the default. If it is disabled in apps settings the system just turns it back on.
Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

If you go into Manage Content in your profile, and into Apps, you can uncheck Chrome browser and it will disable it. It will also make the Web button disappear from your Home screen. I have 3 buttons at the bottom. Library, apps and shop.

Contributor
baltoreader
0 Kudos

True, you don't have to use it, but there are a gazillion icons on my screen that I'll never ever use.
Contributor
baltoreader
0 Kudos

At least could they let me delete the apps in which I have NO interest??