Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Nook line being discontinued in 2014?

poleng wrote:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  The other thing I read...........In 20014 Barnes and Noble is getting into the electric car market. ...

That one's a ways off.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

This is, on the whole speculation. I have a source within B&N who says that the Nook is NOT going away. What will be changing is who makes the Nook. B&N currently manufacture the device; they are looking to outsource the manufacture to a tech hardware/software company to produce it with the Nook label. This is not unlike Asus manufacturing the Google Nexus, or HP manufacturing under the Compaq label. The brick and mortar locations will still sell the new Nooks, as well as provide customer assistance.

Unless something has changed since the Nook Color was released, B&N's Nook line is produced in Taiwan   by a Inventec.  B&N creates the specs and Inventec builds them with the B&N lable.  B&N has never had a it's own manufacturing facility to make nooks.

However it is possible B&N could farm out production to another mfg,  yet that doesn't really make sense.

Inspired Contributor
poleng

You're right distinguished Bibliophile, i misquoted my stockbroker.  What Barnes and Noble is REALLY doing in 2014........they are starting a Rent-a-Donkey business in New York City to compete with the Rent-a-Bike service.  It's green, it's organic, it fertilizes the roadways.  THAT is a prime millenial enterprise!!!!  Get in on the ground floor.  Buy stock before it gets priced out of reach!!!

keriflur
0 Kudos

Donkeys, the wave of the future.

Reader 4
momof8KY
0 Kudos

Well they are doing it!  Nook color/tablets being discontinued hence the "fire sale". 

bobstro
0 Kudos

The NOOK Color and Tablet have been out of the picture since last year. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

The Nook Color and Nook Tablet were already discontinued. They were replaced by the HD/+.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Reader
Me_ri
0 Kudos

Even though everyone sells epub format and you can find a fair amount of books online for free? Since many readers use epub, it's not going to go away very soon.

The worst you'd have to worry about is if your nook broke and there's no way to repair it. In that respect, if you're worried about losing your content, I'd suggest backing up your books, so you can put them on your new ereader if and when that time comes.

I've since upgraded, but I still own a Filament 1150, which there's no support for it; however, because I have the Librarian software and calibre, I can still convert other formats for it, giving me a plethora of books to chose from. It'll be less problematic for Nook users because epub will continue to be around long after you should've replaced your reader anyway.

New User
hotstuff2000
0 Kudos

UGH I just got the nook hd + and it sucks. Now if they are gonna get rid of it, there won't be any more updates or anything. BOO

Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos

A lot of places that sell ePub books have DRM in the books.  Nook supports Adobe Digital Editions, so you're somewhat covered there, but that may not be the case for everything else.

Fortunately, with Google Play you do have access to readers from many of those companies (Kindle, Kobo, etc.).

Unfortunately, the chance of the base OS ever getting to 4.1 is slim to none, so you may run into compatibility issues with future updates of some apps (plus, 4.1 would probably give it quite a bit of a performance boost).

Maybe B&N will release a stock Android image for these tablets for those who may want to go that route...

keriflur

hotstuff2000 wrote:

UGH I just got the nook hd + and it sucks. Now if they are gonna get rid of it, there won't be any more updates or anything. BOO

No one ever continues making the same device forever, and eventually everything reaches EOL and ceases to receive updates.  Welcome to the world of tech.

As for the nook line being discontinued, B&N has stated that they will continue to have nook-branded devices, but that they are partnering with a tech company to make them.  This is pretty much the opposite of "no more nooks" or "getting rid of the nook" so, no, the nook like is not being discontinued at this time.

roustabout
0 Kudos

"you may run into compatibility issues with future updates of some apps"

Maybe, but I can install most apps on my gf's nook tablet (OS 2.3, IIRC) even now.  Backward compatibility seems pretty maintainable in Android. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro

hotstuff2000 wrote:

If you just got it, why don't you just take it back if you don't like it? There are plenty of options rather than doing the martyrdom thing with something you're so unhappy with. You can even read most NOOK books on other Android devices.

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
hotstuff2000 wrote:

If you just got it, why don't you just take it back if you don't like it? There are plenty of options rather than doing the martyrdom thing with something you're so unhappy with. You can even read most NOOK books on other Android devices.

I agree.  When I was searching for a tablet, I found that there was not one device that fit my needs 100%.  If you have tried the HD+ and don't like it, return it and go purchase one that better fits your needs.  For me, with the addition of Google Play and the price drop the HD+ works fine. 

Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle

Have had my HD+ for about six weeks now. Haven't had to charge my iPad 2 since this sweetheart came. I love this thing. No worries here, even if there are no further updates, I'm content with it the way it is. And that's nice! Yes, as with any android, ya gotta get some apps to control RAM usage and monitor the CPU usage and what some processes are doing, but with that said, I love the way my Nook HD+ performs!
Contributor
Alfer
0 Kudos

Ditto here!
New User
scoutyjones2

Regardless of who or what happens with the Nook brand, the Nook HD+ is currently the best bang for your buck as far as tablets go.  You can easily make it an Android tablet running the current version of Android without rooting it by looking at N2A cards.  This company makes, or allows you to download to a specific class of micro SD card, with the software loaded.  You put the micro card in and it boots to the current Android version you bought/downloaded.  If you want to go back to Nook software, remove the card and turn back on...no harm, no foul and makes this the most versatile tablet out there with incredible hardware specs!

I love it...

New User
Chenoa
0 Kudos

I have just a regular Nook color that I have had for some time.  I went through 3 Kindle Fires in which each crashed on me.  I have never had any trouble with my Nook and love it.  I know that all my books are on the Library online but my question is how would I get them saved onto my pc or backed up?  Since this is a color I do not have an SD port so does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks 

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Chenoa wrote:

... Since this is a color I do not have an SD port so does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks 

Yes, you do have a microSD port;  it's under the cover at the corner with the "loop".  Check the manual (online if need be) for details.

However, I think a better way to get your books are to get the Nook app for the PC and save your bookos there.  I have not done this, but others have, who can provide details.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.