Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Re: Nook line being discontinued in 2014?

StaticFX: Also, why would MS buy the nook? they have their own tablets and could easily plunk down a few hundred million to develop thier own ereader (even though they dont need it since they tablets can already have ereader apps). It would be cheaper than buying Nook.

Actually, buying an existing product and tweaking it is usually cheaper than developing one's own from scractch. Given the tablet market today, I can totally understand B&N discontinuing their tablet line or selling it. Getting out of the eink market doesn't make much sense to me though and neither does getting out of ebooks altogether. When taken all together, their recent actions are certainly a bit puzzling at the moment.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

StaticFX: Also, why would MS buy the nook? they have their own tablets and could easily plunk down a few hundred million to develop thier own ereader (even though they dont need it since they tablets can already have ereader apps). It would be cheaper than buying Nook.

Actually, buying an existing product and tweaking it is usually cheaper than developing one's own from scractch. Given the tablet market today, I can totally understand B&N discontinuing their tablet line or selling it. Getting out of the eink market doesn't make much sense to me though and neither does getting out of ebooks altogether. When taken all together, their recent actions are certainly a bit puzzling at the moment.

And don't forget - Microsoft already owns a decent share of Nook.

Maybe this is why B&N is stupidly shooting themselves in the kneecap by discontinuing Nook for PC/Mac in favor of the Windows 8 PC app - because MS wants everyone to buy their craptastic OS Win8.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

keriflur: And don't forget - Microsoft already owns a decent share of Nook.

Maybe this is why B&N is stupidly shooting themselves in the kneecap by discontinuing Nook for PC/Mac in favor of the Windows 8 PC app - because MS wants everyone to buy their craptastic OS Win8.

Certainly possible. I can't think of a better answer for the decision, anyway. It really doesn't make much sense.

Contributor
StaticFX
0 Kudos

i think its all a crock. B&N selling off or getting out of the eInk market is a joke. They are a book store!!! lol and really, who are their competitors? Amazon... thats it. Sony (and other readers dont count in my opinion because they arent backed by a huge book seller)

I think if anything.. MS may buy but not touch it. Like amazon did with Zappos. Why break/ruin something that works.. well
keriflur
0 Kudos

Well, Amazon is quite the large competitor in this arena.  They are also competing against Google, Sony, Apple, Kobo, and a number of smaller digital bookstores.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

StaticFX: Why break/ruin something that works.. well

This isn't the first time that question's been asked about B&N's decisions. They've made others that have resulted in quite a bit of head-scratching.

Contributor
Tad123

I have no affiliation  with any of the tablet companies out there, but have owned 8 different models over the past three years, including 3 versions of the Apple Ipad. I know that nobody likes to hear that their product is being discontinued, and to date this is all rumor regarding B&N; BUT in today's world of electronics, the scene is changing so rapidly regarding features and pricing that what you buy today will be outdated in a year, two at the tops. It doesn't matter if it's discontinued or not, you WILL want a faster, more improved version, I promise!  I purchased an Asus "MeMo Pad" (7" tablet) just last month, and the company announced this past week that a new, greatly improved version of this same tablet will be out in August...for the same price! The version that I purchased had just come out this year, 2013. How does that make me feel? Since this kind of thing WILL happen, then my advice is to first  buy a tablet from a reputable company. You want reliability over everything else.  Outside of Apple, I don't know of any other tablet brand, besides Barnes & Noble, that has actual physical stores that you can go into and speak to employees there that actually know the tablet and can be of great assistance. Next, go for value for the dollar.  The Apple Ipad 16gb sells for $499.  The Nook HD+ 16gb has just been reduced to $149. You are not investing your life savings in this Nook! This is as small an investment as can be made in the large screen tablet market.  A pair of popular headphones that my daughter just bought are $199! There is my "two cents" on the subject.

keriflur

Tad123 wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's discontinued or not, you WILL want a faster, more improved version, I promise!

You can "promise" that all you want, but given that not all of us live in your head and want what you want, it doesn't mean much.  Plenty of people are perfectly happy with their tech many years after it's discontinued.  I'm rather fond of my now-discontinued Vaio P, and my now-discontinued Vaio Z, and do NOT want a faster, improved version, because right now there's nothing as good as what I've already got.  Heck, I've got an mp3 player from back when Sony had a proprietary music format that I still love and use.  Not everyone "needs" to waste money on new tech year after year.  And I say that as someone who owns quite a few tech toys.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

I've got two Zune MP3 players... The 80 and 120 GB HARD DRIVE models.

Don't suggest some 8-16 GB Flash player; I'm not interested in a device where I need to decide what to preload. My current library (at only 256Mbps) consumes 38GB.

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
CascaraBorzoi
0 Kudos

Hey, I've got 2 120 GB Zunes...one for music and one for audiobooks...plus my NookColor. And I'm planning on a Nook HD+ in the very near future!
New User
tomk4ever

Recently i bought a NOOK HD. Fantastic buy at such a great price.  What a bargain.  What a wonderful device with resolution comparable to the Apple retina display.  I support Barnes and Noble brick and mortar since I tend to pass my weekends browsing through their book shelves.  Whenever I can i would buy a book here and there; usually mysteries; self help; and their cache of religious books.  We all know what amazon did was amazing but nothing beats supporting brick and mortar companies like Barnes and Noble.  We all should help them survive these economic crunch they're in.  I'll continue buy more of their graphic novels; their books and also their digital contents.  I would hope one day amazon and Barnes and Noble team up to do a powerhouse partnership; maybe use their store as a medium for thier mail drop off location. It's important Barnes and Noble survive; its a place where young minds congreates; students meets and drink their favorite beverages and discuss their ideas.  I hope their NOOK HD thrives since it's such an great tablet;  if only one research the spec they would be sold.  Sure it's missing a camera but the other features; the multiple user setups exceeds the other single usage tables.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

pkeriflur wrote:

Tad123 wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's discontinued or not, you WILL want a faster, more improved version, I promise!

You can "promise" that all you want, but given that not all of us live in your head and want what you want, it doesn't mean much.  Plenty of people are perfectly happy with their tech many years after it's discontinued.

Keri, I understand what you're saying, but the thing I take from both of your stances is that it doesn't matter if B&N goes away. At least not in any important way. While you each have very different world views, at least in terms of tech, the question of B&N's future needn't concern either of you.

• For a person such as yourself that likes to buy what they feel best and use it until it crumbles, if a NOOK is what they like best today, it will still work the same way if B&N goes away. Or decides the device is obsolete and issues an "improved" model.
  • For a person like Tad123 who likes to buy fresh tech on a 1-2 year cycle, if they buy a NOOK today, there will be plenty of options to replace it in a year or two if B&N goes away. If B&N pays attention, that person may buy the newest NOOK. If not, something else.

I really think, short of B&N doing something noxious (not out of the realm of possibility), B&N's ultimate demise shouldn't be something that a buyer spends a lot of time angsting about today, other than perhaps losing out on whatever extended warranty remains on the day B&N bites the big one. For those people, there are tech insurance options such as SquareTrade available. The risk of buying B&N is no different than for any other tech company.

The bigger threat is B&N's propensity for issuing firmware updates that break, degrade or remove basic functionality. That's an eventuality that is actually made more probable the longer B&N survives. The average non-techie NOOK user who won't or can't tweak their device to avoid B&N's forced updates should probably lose more sleep over accidentally leaving their wifi on overnight. The death of B&N would mean they have one less thing to fret about.

And finally, Keri: The crusty luddite posturing doesn't work when we all know you've got at least a Nexus 7 and one or more Apple toys, all probably within arm's length. :smileyhappy:

Then again, you're me, so I guess it makes sense.

For the record, I think I still have a Rio 600 -- 8 MB I think. I just noticed there's an upgraded version available, and I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy one.

Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

A few days ago , a " reliable source " stated that the Microsoft rumor of a 1 billion dollar bid was not true....so such offer was made. It seems odd, that if B&N were trying to unload Nook, why would they be adding google play to their devices and making them appeal more to the consumer ? They also changed their whole line of accessories and adding more content to their store.....Im going to be hopeful, right now there are just rumors. I'm hoping with better marketing and a new device come this holiday season ...it will blow away the other competitors
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18

emtgirlCV wrote:
... if B&N were trying to unload Nook, why would they be adding google play to their devices and making them appeal more to the consumer ? ....

I think it's very simple:  From sales figures for the HD/HD+, B&N decided back in January that they needed to unload a LOT of Nooks before the market obsoleted them (say, in the next year).  They figured it was cheaper to invest several months of software development time in order to put Google Play on the HD/HD+ and increase their salability, than to take huge losses as a result of not selling them at all.  While B&N would like to sell the Nooks to eReader-type people, I think they're happy if XDA-rooters buy them by the bushel.  Of course, the extended Father's day sale supports this thesis.

I happen to believe that the "mail plus web" rumored upgrade to the Nook Touch/Glow was bogus, but if it wasn't (regardless of whether the release actually happens or not), that also supports this thesis.

Unless there's a "color e-Ink" version in the works (I seriously doubt it, but I can hope), I think we've seen our last Nook device.  I think we've seen our last software upgrade to the Nook Touch/Glow, and upgrades (if any) to the HD/HD+ will be bug fixes.

By contrast, it's hard to predict what B&N will do in the e-Book business.  However, whatever that is, it hardly affects Nook buying decisions.  If you strongly prefer a simple e-Ink reader, go buy one (or more) now, either new or used.  I hardly see how that's a bad investment.  If you want a more capable tablet, the HD/HD+ is a very good bargain, and the probable lack of future software upgrades doesn't make it all that different from many other tablets on the market (ps: Fry's has a $99 10" Android  tablet for sale this weekend).

Oh, and buy an extra charger/cable.  This makes sense for any device.

Worrying about the future is counter-productive (in fact, worrying about anything that you can't personally change is counter-productive as well).  The only thing worse, is fretting about decisions you've already made (and can't change).

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

This is, on the whole speculation. I have a source within B&N who says that the Nook is NOT going away. What will be changing is who makes the Nook. B&N currently manufacture the device; they are looking to outsource the manufacture to a tech hardware/software company to produce it with the Nook label. This is not unlike Asus manufacturing the Google Nexus, or HP manufacturing under the Compaq label. The brick and mortar locations will still sell the new Nooks, as well as provide customer assistance.

It makes sense, as they are a RETAIL business. They don't print books either, but they do have a printing company print their classics with a BN label....

keriflur

Runnergirl77 wrote:

This is, on the whole speculation. I have a source within B&N who says that the Nook is NOT going away. What will be changing is who makes the Nook. B&N currently manufacture the device; they are looking to outsource the manufacture to a tech hardware/software company to produce it with the Nook label. This is not unlike Asus manufacturing the Google Nexus, or HP manufacturing under the Compaq label. The brick and mortar locations will still sell the new Nooks, as well as provide customer assistance.

It makes sense, as they are a RETAIL business. They don't print books either, but they do have a printing company print their classics with a BN label....

And this is what B&N said in their announcement to the media, so there's no speculation at this point, just folks worried about what will come down the line, with a large dose of misunderstanding and overreaction mixed in.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

So long as you buy the HD/+ devices today with full  knowledge of their limitations, they're a great price if they suit your needs. If I weren't drowning in tablets at the moment, I'd pick one up. If you're worried about warranty, I've read good things about SquareTrade.

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

What will be bad is that BN's allready horrible customer service will be even worse as you'll likely have to contact the outside source for help or service! That is unless you happen to live near a store which many of us do not.
Inspired Contributor
poleng

It has also been reported that a mammoth Alien Spaceship is on its way to earth.  It will arrive in 2014 and Terraform the earth, wiping out all human life.  However, the aliens plan to continue production of all Nook models.  I know it's true, I read it on the internet.  Count on it!!!!

Inspired Contributor
poleng

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  The other thing I read...........In 20014 Barnes and Noble is getting into the electric car market.    Remember, you read it here first!!!!!  See, there really is reliable, secret news to be found in this forum.