Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

Nook line being discontinued in 2014?

It has been reported that Barnes & Noble will discontinue the Nook line in 2014, and the Nook division will be sold to Microsoft. How will B&N survive if these events transpire?
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: Nook line being discontinued in 2014?

Reported?  Or spilled out of Amazon's dream bucket?

I seriously doubt both premises in the rumor you're spreading.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

There are Microsoft documents offering 1B for the Nook Media division, and the NY Times had a source who said they were authentic.

BN's share price went up 25% yesterday on the news - BN's been trying to find a suitor for a long time now. 

Given the price of the offer - apparently it works out to 27/share for the company as a whole - and the jump in the stock price, at ths point the BN board is basically forced to sell.  MS may not be the ultimate buyer, but unless the Play Store news is followed up with an announcement at Google i/o that Google's bought the Nook Media division, this seems like a lock. 

The one part that confuses me is that Nook Media may not actually be the bit of BN which sells ebooks.  If that's true I don't have any idea why MS is offering money for it, though. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

tendoboy1984 wrote:
It has been reported that Barnes & Noble will discontinue the Nook line in 2014, and the Nook division will be sold to Microsoft. How will B&N survive if these events transpire?

Google (or Bing) this guy (girl) 

Freedom is not free.
Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

So it's true then? No more Nook tablets? No use buying a Nook HD now.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

That makes absolutely no sense unless you are just a troll.

Don't buy any device then because eventually it will stop working and that same device will no longer be available because something else came out that was better, whether from the same company or a different one.

Don't buy a phone, don't buy a car, don't buy a TV now because if the company goes out of business, you'll be stuck with what you just bought forever and it quit working magicallly on the same exact day, no one will ever be able to repair again because the knowledge will be wiped out on that day, the internet services will refuse to let your device access it, States will make it against the law, etc..because the company that made it doesn't exist anymore.....damn, you're screwed.

keriflur

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

That makes absolutely no sense unless you are just a troll.

You could have stopped there.

keriflur

tendoboy1984 wrote:
So it's true then? No more Nook tablets? No use buying a Nook HD now.

Yes, you should definitely not buy a Nook HD.  Now that that's established, do you have any more reason to be here?

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

[ Edited ]

Don't waste any more time on this, people.  He's having too much fun..........

Freedom is not free.
Reader 2
rc76

To all the nay sayers check here: http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/08/microsoft-mulling-nook-media-llc-purchase-for-1-billion/ Nothing confirmed for sure, but possible. As for B&N discontinuing the Nook, here is an excerpt fro the article cited:

"The documents also reveal that Nook Media plans to discontinue its Android-based tablet business by the end of its 2014 fiscal year as it transitions to a model where Nook content is distributed through apps on “third-party partner” devices. Speculation about the plan to discontinue the Nook surfaced in February. The documents we have are not clear on whether the third-party tablets would be Microsoft’s own Windows 8 devices, tablets made by others (including competing platforms) or both. Third-party tablets, according to the document, are due to get introduced in 2014."

Will happen? When will it happen? We'll just have to watch and see.

--

Rod

Frequent Contributor
The_Walrus_43

Barnes and Noble's fiscal year 2014 ends in April 2015.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

B&N's non-Nook divisions made a net profit for 2012. So if Nook is sold to Microsoft, the combination of probitable units and the $1 billion = B&N's chances of survival go up.

Tendoboy, you are WEAK.

B&N's losses last year were $69 million. Out of that $200 million+ were Nook division.

So - net profits of $110 million.

B&N Key Facts:

1) Revenue of $7.129 billion in 2012.

2) Net Income without Nook division of $130 million approximately in FY 2012.

3) Net Assets of $3.765 billion.

4) If sold to Microsoft - $1 billion cash. If bidding war - perhaps as much as $1.5 billion.

All of that adds up to a company that isn't going anywhere.

B&N is dead? These articles have been around for last 5-6 years. All that happened in that time is that B&N sold 10 million Nook Tablets and Nook eReaders and built up a business that makes $1.25 billion a year with losses of $200 million and which has value of $1 billion or more if sold.

That's IN ADDITION to the stores, which are now profitable.

With Nook losses were $69 million a year.

$1 billion divided by $69 million = 14+ years.

However, without Nook B&N has net profits.

So it would have

1) Net Profits.

2) Assets of $3.765 billion.

3) $1 billion cash from MS or whoever buys Nook.

That means it would, even if ebooks continue to eat into market share, get 10-20 years to figure out how to transform its business.

Also, Amazon net profits for last year were: Losses of $39 million on revenue of $61.09 billion. And for next quarter it's projecting a range of

Losses of $300 million to Profits of $10 million.

Amazn's Price to Earnings. Forward PE is 80.87.

Here: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=AMZN+Key+Statistics

Perhaps you are better served going to the Kindle forums and asking them how long Amazon is going to stick around.

New User
gambitpride
0 Kudos

I want B&N to continue to survive as much as anybody, but I have to admit it's disconcerting if the Nook line is discontinued. I just got a Nook HD for my birthday two months ago and I have quite a lot of money invested in a lot of books on it. It'd be a shame not to be able to purchase books for it any longer.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

When they were referencing the "line" being discontinued, they were referring to the devices. (ie not making any new devices.) You would still be able to buy books.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

gambitpride: I want B&N to continue to survive as much as anybody, but I have to admit it's disconcerting if the Nook line is discontinued. I just got a Nook HD for my birthday two months ago and I have quite a lot of money invested in a lot of books on it. It'd be a shame not to be able to purchase books for it any longer.

I don't think you have to worry about that. Even if B&N does get out of the hardware market, I serioiusly doubt they're going to stop selling ebooks.

MacMcK1957

TnTexas wrote:

gambitpride: I want B&N to continue to survive as much as anybody, but I have to admit it's disconcerting if the Nook line is discontinued. I just got a Nook HD for my birthday two months ago and I have quite a lot of money invested in a lot of books on it. It'd be a shame not to be able to purchase books for it any longer.

I don't think you have to worry about that. Even if B&N does get out of the hardware market, I serioiusly doubt they're going to stop selling ebooks.

And you can also purchase books from other vendors even if B&N somehow stops selling them.  Unlike Amazon's proprietary format, the EPUB format is widespread and available from numerous sites.

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I got a NookColor and Nook HD+ as Xmas presents.  I like them both.  B&N made a valiant effort to carve out a niche e-reader slice in the general tablet market.  However, history is littered with special purpose products that have succumb to their general purpose counterparts.  Adding Google Play certainly helped the Nook HD/HD+ become more general purpose.  Consumers can spend a little more and get a general purpose tablet with cameras/gps/etc...  The development costs for these tablets is steep and it is really difficult for a niche player to justify the expense.  Hardware companies like Samsung, Asus and Acer are much better equipped to do this.  I am not surprised by this at all.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

Thinking logically, there should be nothing to worry about even if they do discontinue the Nook line of hardware and continue on third party devices.  This tells me the Nook apps for Android and iOS should still be alive and well.  With the addition of Google Play it turns the HD device line into essentially fully functional Android tablets.

This leads me to think that as long as BN keeps selling eBooks the device will stay fully functional for the extent of it's expected life.  Which means we can then buy whatever tablet we want and put the Nook App on it, continue buying from BN and still have access to your previously purchased content.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957: And you can also purchase books from other vendors even if B&N somehow stops selling them.  Unlike Amazon's proprietary format, the EPUB format is widespread and available from numerous sites.

Very true.

Contributor
StaticFX
0 Kudos

why would B&N ever stop seeling eBooks? why would they sell off the Nook? none of this makes sense... lol.  And now with the android markey (google play) - the nook HD+ just became a SUPER CHEAP android tablet/ereader. You dont even have to root it now. Unlike the Kindle, which does not have play (yet)

Also, why would MS buy the nook? they have their own tablets and could easily plunk down a few hundred million to develop thier own ereader (even though they dont need it since they tablets can already have ereader apps). It would be cheaper than buying Nook.