Contributor
scotthva5

Nook web browsers: performance tests

Since Chrome is now the default web browser - for good or bad - I decided to benchmark it against it's main rivals Dolphin, Firefox and Opera. I've also included results for the iPad mini but since those results were scored on Safari 6 it's not an apples-to-apples comparison...

SunSpider 1.0 (measures Javascript performance lower is better)

FireFox           1081

Dolphin            1145

Dolphin Beta    1217

Opera Mobile   1255

Chrome           1378 

iPad Mini         1432

Rightware Browsermark 2.0 (comprehensive browser benchmark higher is better)

Dolphin Beta     2778

Dolphin             2673

Chrome            2395

FireFox            2222

iPad Mini

Opera Mobile   1524     

Contributor
scotthva5
0 Kudos

Re: Nook web browsers: performance tests

Sorry, posted before I was finished. The iPad score was 2035.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this. Confirms my suspiciong that Chrome sucks.

I can't even scroll a webpage without it flashing the text in the sides.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

Thank you OP!   Great stats.  Chrome definitely slow.  Long time to load a page and even longer to refresh.  Feels like i'm back on Nook Color again.  :-(

Like I said in another post - CHROME SUCKS!!

Contributor
scotthva5
0 Kudos

You have to take synthetic benchmarks with a grain of salt but the BrowserMark results confirm my seat-of-the-pants impression: Chrome is laggy on ARM but screams on x86. That said, it rocks on HTML5 tests.

Futuremark Peacekeeper (comprehensive HTML5 suite higher is better)

Chrome           754

Dolphin            655

Dolphin Beta    514

Firefox             463

Opera Mobile   430

All of the tests were run on my Nook HD+. Looks like Dolphin Beta has some optimization work to do on HTML5 and Firefox and Opera are total dogs. 

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

scotthva5 wrote:

Since Chrome is now the default web browser - for good or bad - I decided to benchmark it against it's main rivals Dolphin, Firefox and Opera. I've also included results for the iPad mini but since those results were scored on Safari 6 it's not an apples-to-apples comparison...

SunSpider 1.0 (measures Javascript performance lower is better)

FireFox           1081

Dolphin            1145

Dolphin Beta    1217

Opera Mobile   1255

Chrome           1378 

iPad Mini         1432

Rightware Browsermark 2.0 (comprehensive browser benchmark higher is better)

Dolphin Beta     2778

Dolphin             2673

Chrome            2395

FireFox            2222

iPad Mini

Opera Mobile   1524     

Great stats and it looks like Dolphin is a steady winner. I use Puffin, though, for the Flash capabilities and wonder how it might figure in compared to the others. Seems to work fantastic for me with no glitches and is quite fast.

Contributor
scotthva5
0 Kudos

celandinehobbit wrote:

Great stats and it looks like Dolphin is a steady winner. I use Puffin, though, for the Flash capabilities and wonder how it might figure in compared to the others. Seems to work fantastic for me with no glitches and is quite fast.

I've used Puffin before and I rather liked it - fast, lightweight and stable - but I'm only testing browsers that are compatible with the 2.1 update and available in the Play Store, not browsers that require root or "unknown sources" hacks.

celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

scotthva5 wrote:

celandinehobbit wrote:

I've used Puffin before and I rather liked it - fast, lightweight and stable - but I'm only testing browsers that are compatible with the 2.1 update and available in the Play Store, not browsers that require root or "unknown sources" hacks.

Puffin is compatible with the 2.1 update, though not available through the Google Play store. For some unknown reason they say there that it's not compatible, but BN offers it through their store for $3. Might be a good thing, too, as it won't try to compete update with Google Play which can be quite annoying. 

Contributor
scotthva5
0 Kudos

Gotcha...if you have a chance go to http://browsermark.rightware.com/ and post the results. The test takes about 5 minutes.

Contributor
scotthva5
0 Kudos

celandinehobbit wrote:

I use Puffin, though, for the Flash capabilities and wonder how it might figure in compared to the others. Seems to work fantastic for me with no glitches and is quite fast.

You were right on the money. I tested Puffin Free and it's numbers were stellar. Flash can be a little laggy but the JavaScipt performance is stunning. I'll post the hard figures later.

celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

scotthva5 wrote:

celandinehobbit wrote:

I use Puffin, though, for the Flash capabilities and wonder how it might figure in compared to the others. Seems to work fantastic for me with no glitches and is quite fast.

You were right on the money. I tested Puffin Free and it's numbers were stellar. Flash can be a little laggy but the JavaScipt performance is stunning. I'll post the hard figures later.

I tried to run the test but it kept saying my browser was Google Chrome 11. Was a bit perplexed so I went and disabled Chrome in the Play store and tired to run the test once again. Unfortunately it listed my browser not as Puffin, but Chrome once again. Decided to wait and figure it out later as I had a slew of things to do this past weekend. Glad to hear the numbers were what I thought they would be. I'm very happy using this browser over Chrome, like I've said before, just for the Flash support. Would love to see the figures you came up with. :smileywink: