Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Not Again, This is Crazy!!

Well, here we go again, I have been double charged for an ebook!  This is the second time this month that this has happened.  I don't understand the problem with them charging two of my gift cards the same amount for one book.

My confidence is shattered and I don't know what to do about all of this.  I just don't understand when/why this began happening, but I have been carefully watching by balance since the last debacle.  I purchased an ebook for $5.99 and with taxes that brought the purchase to $6.48.  However, that amount was taken out of abc and xyz gift cards.

I've sent an email to B&N, so we'll see what happens, again.  I've asked them how we can resolve this issue,so wish me luck.  I guess I'll have to strictly purchase my ebooks from another source, which I'd rather not, by the way, but this is ridiculous to have to go through this wih B&N.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Re: Not Again, This is Crazy!!

2noelle,

do you know, if by chance, the two gift cards were purchased at the same time?  The confusion may be that B&N is seeing the two cards as linked in some fashion.

Jeremy

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Jeremy, the gift cards weren't purchased at the same time, totally separate.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

This happened to me once and I called CS and they fixed the prob asap.

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

Why are both gift cards even registered to your account at the same time? Why not use just one at a time. When one runs out of funds, apply the other. You wouldn't be having problems like this then, right? 

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Celandinehobbit, the policy at B&N allows up to 3 gift cards at a time. This is a recent issue and hasn't happened in the 3+ years that I've owned a Nook of some sort. Friends and family are always giving me gift cards for my obsession :smileyhappy: Never had a problem before and since they are calling these extra charges "preauthorizations", who's to say that they won't charge your one gift card and your credit card? I'm doing what I'm supposed to do in regards to putting the gift card on my account, the truth is, none of this preauthorization business makes any sense at all; who has heard of such a thing for a gift card anyway? I do have a credit card connected to my online account, so I don't understand how or why you would "preauthorize" a gift card. I'm just sayin'!
Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

The main point is that this problem has gone on long enough it should have been fixed. These people create electronic devices so surely someone could figure out the problem. 2noelle I agree with your outrage over this.
Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Its not just having two gift cards that is a problem. I had one gift card - a purchase on it got stuck in "processing". It had plenty of remaining balance on it and several other books subsequently got charged to the gift card. However, even though the additional books counted against the balance of the gift card, when the transactions went to be completed the processing transaction apparently meant that the other transactions did not complete properly and then defaulted to being charged against my credit card. The charge against the gift card did not release when this happened so the gift card showed zero balance and was deleted from my gift card list.

I spotted the problem when I saw the charges on my credit card bill, knew the card should have covered them and went back to check the balance on the gift card which was not there. I then had to back track through all of the orders and found that books charged to the credit card showed as having been charged to the gift card. Three long (more than 30 minutes, lots of time on hold) calls to CS and they finally credited my credit card back because they could not restore the funds to the gift card....

Unfortunately I now have several books that seem to be stuck "processing" (from Feb in one case) and have to stay vigilant that I dont lose balance on my gift cards and get charged on my credit card (I have gift cards to prevent this since I hate dealing with lots of small charges on my credit card). I have stopped buying any new books from B&N till this all clears up so I can spot the bogus charges....

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

I find this whole situation out of bounds, I am truly lost for words on how ridiculous it all is.
Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

So I thought it was over but now when I go to download one of the books that they refunded one of the double charges on ( so I only bought the book once) to my android phone app it will not let me since it says the book was " refunded" . I wouldn't mind so much except I specifically asked customer service if refunding to my credit card would cause any problems and they promised me it would not..... UGH!
Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Hypatia1, I don't seem to have that problem, yet, but none of my overcharges have been resolved.  I've written numerous times and haven't gotten any results.  At least two of the email responses have promised to have the amount I was double charged on my cards in a week's time, but alas they still aren't credited.

Honestly, I don't know what to do.  I haven't stopped at a brick and mortar, but I think I will soon.  I don't know how they are going to retain customers this way.  They are actually taking money from my gift cards and aren't in a hurry to put it back!

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

I have posted on the nook community board to see if anyone knows what to do after repeated customer service fails. I just spent 90 minutes "chatting" online to be told I need to call 1-800-the-book because all the chat digital support person could do was delete the books so I could buy them again to get access so I'd be back were I started having paid double for some books.....

I dont know if Barnes and Noble doesnt care if they lose me as a customer or if they are actively trying to get rid of me as a customer. It is possible they think the large number of purchases I have made and the fact I have four nook models means I am so loyal to B&N that they can do what they want to me without my ceasing to be a purchaser.... I have decided that I'd rather read than waste more time and come away feeling like dirt from my B&N CS interactions... I will read the books I have, use up my last remaining gift card and put the time I was spending on hold and repeated explanations into learning how to use calibre and other r-reader apps.....

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I gave it one last try and finally got a digital support supervisor by waiting 18 minutes on hold.... For what is worth I mentioned that you had (2noelle) also posted about problems and that I thought if B&N cared she should look into your problem and work on it as well... She said she would notify the people who act as board monitors for problems to look into your issues... I hope she does, it would help me feel better about all this
Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Hypatia1, that was so thoughtful of you and I hope they listened to you, because I don't think they are listening to me! I spent an hour on the phone with them yesterday, I was put on hold and eventually had to hang up because life got in the way. I won't give up though :smileyhappy: