Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

Open Explorer App can access PC files

I have noticed a number of discussions regarding transferring (sideloading) files from a PC to the HD/HD+ but have not noticed any mention of the fact that the Open Explorer app can access and download files from a PC over the network (obviously both have to be on the same network).

I haven't had any luck in directly opening files on the PC but they can be downloaded and then open fine.  They can also be moved from the download directory to other directories using Open Explorer.

I apologize if everyone already knows this - I did a search and didn't find a reference to the capability.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Re: Open Explorer App can access PC files

Is that over wifi or with the HD+ hooked up to the PC. If over the wifi, how is that done?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Swamprat, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for mentioning this.

I've tried to use Bluetooth with Hd and HD+ but it pairs and then refuses to show me Explorer view on my PC for HD and HD+.

If I can get OpenExplorer to work over the network it'll save me a big headache (moving photos and apps etc.). Thanks a lot.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you use ADB, consider the following PC app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=683223

Available for WIndows, Mac, & Linux.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Is that over wifi or with the HD+ hooked up to the PC. If over the wifi, how is that done?

It works over WiFi - with the app open, choose add server and enter the information for the name of the server (name of the PC on the network), user name, and password. You need to have file sharing enabled for the drive/folder you want to access and SMB (??) enabled on the PC.

Good Luck!

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Swamprat wrote:

It works over WiFi - with the app open, choose add server and enter the information for the name of the server (name of the PC on the network), user name, and password. You need to have file sharing enabled for the drive/folder you want to access and SMB (??) enabled on the PC.

Es File Explorer does this the same way as well, and I believe so does Astro File Manager (or one of their other associated apps).

"SMB" is the Windows file sharing protocol.  There is a "SAMBA" Android app (Samba is the name of the Linux server package that allows Linux folder to appear as "Windows shares" to Windows computers) in the general Android Market, but it requires "root" access.  The others do not.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I had not realized so many explorers had that now.

Open explorer is free in the bn shop, though, so it is the go to app for nook hd owners.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thanks for sharing that Dean. It's very cool. Will make my life much easier.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

QtADB

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

Thanks for sharing that Dean. It's very cool. Will make my life much easier.

I find QtADB's screen-shot feature very nice.  One thing I found out is that many of the images sent to the Nook Touch/Glow screen APIs are in color (eg, the Home screen, your Nook library, the B&N Shop ...).

Unfortunately, you can only have one ADB device active when you use QtADB.  I suggested a mod to fix this when I registered QtADB a year ago, but active development on QtADB has apparently stopped.  However, source code is available ...

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: QtADB

That's really interesting.

One thing I found out is that many of the images sent to the Nook Touch/Glow screen APIs are in color (eg, the Home screen, your Nook lilbrary, the B&N Shop ...).

If I dealt in random speculation I'd assume color eInk was imminent. However, it's probably just that Nook Touch shares code with Nook Color. Perhaps.

I like rooting around with DDMS sometimes. It tells you lots of interesting things. That's where I first noticed that every time the Nook HD starts it indexes each and every media file.

Also File Explorer is the only way to 'see' folders on SD Card that HD and HD+ sometimes hide for no reason.

Reader 2
Xcom77

Swamprat wrote:

Good Luck!

If Server name is the name of the PC on your network then what would I have to type in for the Server Host box? Does anyone have links to a tutorial? Been trying to get this working for three days now with no luck.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Xcom77 wrote:

Swamprat wrote:

Good Luck!

If Server name is the name of the PC on your network then what would I have to type in for the Server Host box? Does anyone have links to a tutorial? Been trying to get this working for three days now with no luck.

Sorry for not responding sooner - didn't see your question 'til a few minutes ago.

Make sure you choose SMB/Windows in the "Server Type" area of the pop-up that opens when you press on "Add Server" in the left-hand colum and then enter the pc name in both the server host and server name boxes - that worked for me.

I agree that a tutorial would be very helpful!

Good Luck!

Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

Any idea how I could add DropBox for a server?

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Claimdude wrote:

Any idea how I could add DropBox for a server?

Thanks

I don't know if this is possible but would be interested in finding out if anyone knows or works it out. 

I assume you are aware tha there is a DropBox app available that allows you to access your account.