New User
Mikemuch
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Please let us uninstall Google apps

Thinking of returning my new nook hd since this update forced all these apps on me.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18

Re: Please let us uninstall Google apps

Mikemuch wrote:
Thinking of returning my new nook hd since this update forced all these apps on me.

It should be easy to sell since it's now a real tablet.

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Did you know that you can disable them all (so the dont even show up in your apps?)

Go up to Edit Profile, select the profile, last item is "Manage Content." Select that, go down to apps, and then uncheck anything you dont want to use.

Hope that helps!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Nook Gardener, that's a super tip. Thanks. I wish there was a way to give you 50 Stars.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Credit for figuring out how to disable the google stuff belongs to AlbionRose (he found it last week, but its buried in some thread.) But was so happy to learn how to turn some of the stuff Im never going to use off, just cant stop myself from repeating it wherever necessary! :smileywink:

Contributor
scotthva5
0 Kudos

- doffs hat at NookGardener - This is brilliant, just what I was looking for. As I have no use for Facebook, Twitter and others of that ilk it's nice to make them disappear. Many, many thanks.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

Just to let everyone know, I disabled all off the extra apps with the 2.1 update but wanted to keep YouTube but found that YouTube will not run unless I leave Google Settings enabled.  If you don't, YouTube complains about needing Google Services enabled.

Just thought I'd pass on that tip. :smileywink:

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

Any app that uses G+ login or account information will need the Google Settings app installed.

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR

I did this for most of the google apps I never used but yesterday I discovered my battery had drained quickly and one of the apps (Google Play Books) was the culprit.  It was one that I had removed from my profile, I am the only profile on my HD+.  Am not certain this is a complete way to get rid of them, more of a "never have to see them". Beth

Contributor
Larrym19
0 Kudos

All Settings->Applications->My Apps Choose those you don't want and hit "Disable" or "Uninstall". If you want to turn them off temporarily hit "Force Stop".
Inspired Correspondent
bugeek

Googles core apps cannot/ shouldn't be uninstalled. That's part of the requirement for google play. That said they can mostly be hidden and some can be stopped... using the profiles and parental controls of the hds. I think its the reason bn was hesitant to add google play. Though why not a 4.1 version of android with an updated interface skin...more nookiish
Bibliophile
5ivedom

I think Google needs to add the ability to completely turn off Google Apps.

If the user doesn't want them, then why force it.

1) Opt-in instead of opt-out.

2) Ability to turn off.

Those are simple things and they really make life easier for users.

Contributor
madylarian

5ivedom wrote:

I think Google needs to add the ability to completely turn off Google Apps.

If the user doesn't want them, then why force it.

Absolutely!  As I said, if we'd wanted a full-featured tablet we would have bought one.

mady

New User
Pharoha

Yes! Thank you for this message. I used it in reverse to fix my issue. I was missing all the new apps.

New User
yonnie1947

NookGardner -
Thank you so much for telling how to disable the Apps that came with the upgrade. I used to like YouTube but now can't use it without being forced to sign up for Google+ which I do not want.
New User
geekartiste

Go up to Edit Profile? From where? I'm new to nook Android so it took a while to find. For other nook noobs:
- If your device is off, power it on. [Wait a couple of minutes until the "Welcome Back" lock screen appears.]
- If the tablet is asleep, press the "n" button on the short side of the front. [The "Welcome Back" lock screen appears.]
- If you are at the "Welcome Back" lock screen, drag an "admin" profile (the first one created on the device will work) onto the unlock icon. [The last app you used will appear.]
- I'm not certain, but I think this will work: keep pressing the "n" button until you end up at the Home screen. [The screen with the "your NOOK TODAY" badge in the upper right appears.]
- From your Home screen, press and hold your profile icon (in the header bar to the left of the greeting). [A list of the configured profiles will appear.]
- Continue with NookGardener's instructions …
Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

I'm pretty sure people know how to turn on their nook and get to the home screen.

bjr
New User
bjr
0 Kudos

Thank you!

Frequent Contributor
Nokomarie
0 Kudos

Thank you!  This poor thing seems to be turning into a paperweight with all the junk jammed in to it. If I want to do internet stuff I'll use my tablet.. or better yet, a real computer. I've been looking for a way to uninstall this junk.. with luck, this will free it device up a bit.

Frequent Contributor
Nokomarie
0 Kudos

Yes!!