Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

Price Slashes On HD and HD+

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2013/05/05/b7n-drops-the-price-on-nook-hd-nook-hd-in-time-for-moth...

If interested for yourself, Mom, your friends, etc.

I guess some of us saw it coming.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

Re: Price Slashes On HD and HD+

I'm stunned.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

Followup to software upgrade to encourage more sales I suppose. I'd definitely say a good thing and we will see if any Moms get one as a gift as well.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

get 'em if you've been on the fence - ir's a great price, especially on the big guy. if you subscribe to magazines that are most easily gotten on nooks or kindles, these are better than anything else out there now that you can use google play. it seems this is the new price point after the test sale a week ago, but it also seems. likely that this is the last lcd nook model and last production run.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

It's a great sale, but has me wondering if BN is trying to get rid of the tablets now. Give us what we wanted (more/better selection of apps) as a last goodbye to their support and making of any more tablet ereaders? 

Kinda scary to think of it. Not that I'm doubting my content (books/magazines) through BN will disappear or anything, but more people might just buy what they need now through Google leaving any disappointment or problems in their hands instead. 

Contributor
BebeFleur13
0 Kudos

Figured this would happen...not so soon though! *wishes she had waited a pinch longer for this sale*

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, interesting that B&N is doing BOTH

1) Addition of Google Play Store.

2) Sale with Nook HD at $149, Nook HD+ at $179 and $209. Those are crazy prices.

The hardware is really good and now there's Google Play for all the people who wanted that.

I wonder if we'll see $100 on Nook HD by Holiday Season.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

Oh man!. An hour before the OP started this thread, I had gone to my B&N store, walked to the Nook display counter (which, BTW, was still right inside the front door, not relocated as some stores have reportedly done), and saw the prices on the HD+ were the full prices. So I left and went down the street to WalMart and got the 16GB and a $20 gift card for $199. That's the same effective price as advertised in the OP's link.

Thankfully I was too busy today to open the HD+,  So tomorrow I'll return the HD+ to WalMart and go buy it from B&N. I've bought 2 NCs and an NST from B&N in the past and would like to give them my business. 

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

celandinehobbit wrote:

It's a great sale, but has me wondering if BN is trying to get rid of the tablets now. Give us what we wanted (more/better selection of apps) as a last goodbye to their support and making of any more tablet ereaders? 

Kinda scary to think of it. Not that I'm doubting my content (books/magazines) through BN will disappear or anything, but more people might just buy what they need now through Google leaving any disappointment or problems in their hands instead. 

My thoughts too, but no motive to give US what we wanted.  B&N is selling us out.  Probably to Google.

Reader 2
Live4Life
0 Kudos

Great! 5 days after I buy one, they slash the price!!
Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

You should be able to return or get a refund off the difference.

The sale is only for a week, for Moms more than likely over any fire sale and dumping their stock.

Contributor
jerry60
0 Kudos

It's no secret that holiday sales of the HD and HD+ were very disappointing. I think one of two things are going on with the opening up on the ecosystem and the sales:

1.) B&N is about to drop these tablets and ecosystem (selling apps, magazines, etc.) and they are trying to get rid of inventory (repeated sales these past few months) and are looking at being able to drop the ecosystem and trying to let users down gently (giving them an option to keep using their tablets via Google Play.

2) B&N is doubling down to compete and fix shortcomings: New versions of HD and HD+ coming and they want to get rid of inventory (repeated sales) and they are fixing the ecosystem's shortcomings (lack of apps and flexibility of use).

I hope it's #2 but only time will see. The opening of the OS has REALLY made my HD+ so much more useful than it was. The hardware is great. I still use my laptop for serious work on the road but most of the time the HD+ is FINE. It's, cheap (and even cheaper now) light, expandable, good graphics, decent battery life. I mostly use it for media consumption (magazines, movies and online news reading/social media) and simple online stuff (e-mail, airline/travel info).  About the only other thing I wouldn't mind having is a rear-facing  camera so I can skype.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Live4Life wrote:
Great! 5 days after I buy one, they slash the price!!

So take it back and return it and or ask them to refund the difference.  I did and there was no hassle at all.  They just refunded the difference.

Reader 4
TracyR
0 Kudos

Best Buy has the 32 gb HD+ for $199 - even less than the B&N store. And free shipping if you have to order it - upgraded to expedited for free if you're a silver reward zone member.  Got mine yesterday!!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Jerry, I'm also hoping it's #2 (new Nook Tablets on the way).

It's hard to say though. Opening up to Google Play is a big move.

It has to either be a goodbye to hardware, or a parting gift to users because a new tablet is on the way.

Frequent Contributor
ceeotters
0 Kudos

I've been looking at the HD+ for Christmas and now I get a coupon for BN members that I could use (until 6/12) to get the 16 G for $145!!! It also makes me wonder what is up? I can't find any chatter that they're coming out with something new.  Could be even with Google Play and the expandable memory (both huge for me) they still can't compete with Amazon and Apple and they're just cutting their losses.  But this is a humongous deal.  I may be doing Christmas in June.:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
rfortson
0 Kudos

I just used the coupon to get a 32GB HD+ for $165, which is an outstanding deal.  I immediately added the Zinio and Kindle apps, and now I have the (for me) perfect ereader with some great tablet functions thrown in.  Thanks B&N!  Well done!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I'd recommend getting it at the current crazy prices.

I don't see it dropping to any lower than $100 even end of year or next.

Might as well get it now for $149 and enjoy it from right now.

Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

Rfortson,

What coupon did you use?

Frequent Contributor
ceeotters
0 Kudos

It came to members. But I'll bet if you went in to the store, signed up for membership for $25, you could get it. Or not.