Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

Printing to a wireless printer?

Does anyone know if it's possible to send a print command from your HD+ to a wireless printer?  I wasn't sure if it could send a signal wirelessly to the printer or not.  I was just wondering.  

Thanks,

campyrs

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal

Re: Printing to a wireless printer?

I can, but my Nook HD+ has root from the SD card and there is an app in Google Play for my Brother printer. I would think that unless your printer shows up in the wireless list under settings, you would need an app if one is available in the Nook Apps store or you'd have to have at least partial root somehow.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info!
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

There is an app in the app store called PrinterShare Mobile Print that is intended to do this. I have not bought it because I don't have a wireless printer and many people claim in the reviews that it doesn't work with their printers. You might want to carefully read the reviews to see if your particular printer is supported.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Campyrs, there's an app called Printer Share. Not sure if it's available for HD+. It was available for Tablet I think.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Ideally B&N would integrate Google Cloud Print and a lot of the compatibility problems would be resolved.. though youd need to turn on a PC/Mac with Chrome installed to use (however google will hold your print job in queue on its servers if no computer/printer is avalible) ... Direct printing is not avalible on many printers...Vaguely remember that PrinterShare had a page limit but not sure if it applies to the BN app..I didn't like the app much...

Bibliophile
laurieb52

I print all the time to my wireless printer without any app. My HP printer has an eprint email address. I just added the email address to my contacts, and when I want to print, send it to the hpeprint address. 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Eprinting direct to an email address at least for consumer devices is primary an HP only feature... There are other printers that can do similar.. but many times it requires buying a newish printer... usually printers that allow for AirPrint (yes the mac technology), are ones that allow you to print to an email address if you are getting a newish printer.. But if the printer isnt broken, why buy a new one... Really dislike how HP has made print technology disposable.. (if you need or want a newish feature, have to buy a whole new device)

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

Thanks 5ivedom, I checked it out. The reviews are not looking too good. Most said it didn't work very well. Not sure I want to waste $'s on a program that has way more 1 star ratings than 5. I appreciate the tip however. Thanks!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Sure Campyrs.

regarding this solution:

though youd need to turn on a PC/Mac with Chrome installed to use (however google will hold your print job in queue on its servers if no computer/printer is avalible)

I don't think it's elegant enough. I really like the one LaurieB shared. However, if it's HP printers only that's a problem.

Distinguished Correspondent
bestem
0 Kudos

bugeek wrote:

But if the printer isnt broken, why buy a new one... Really dislike how HP has made print technology disposable.. (if you need or want a newish feature, have to buy a whole new device) 

How is that different than any other device?  The technology wasn't in the older devices.  HP has been making ePrinters for about 3 years now, so it's not like it's a brand new technology.  Most of the printers HP had on the market prior to their ePrint technology weren't wireless printers, so they wouldn't have been able to receive the signal, which would make it highly difficult for even a firmware update to add the technology to the printers.  In fact, most of the newish (within the past 3 years) featuers on HP printers are not something firmware updates can fix.  You can't add a duplexer to old printer, because the hardware connections aren't there.  You can't put apps on the old printers, because there's no screens that can really interact with the apps.  You can't do anything with the newer ink technology that the business model inkjet's have, because, again, the hardware in the older printer can't support it.  

So if you need or want a newish feature, yes, you have to buy a whole new device, because often times the hardware of the printer won't support the new feature, and it's not worth it for the company to spend the programming time to make every 5 year old printer support that newest tech, when few of them can even have hardwawre jury-rigged to make it work.

And not every HP currently on the market even has ePrint capabilites.  We sell at least one all-in-one at work, made by HP, that doesn't.  Sure it's only a $40 printer, that'll scan copy and print (no faxing either) but it won't ePrint.  If they're not even making every current device have that capability, why would they try to reverse engineer it into older devices?

Also, I know my company, in the past, has done a thing on printers "trade-in, trade-up" where you bring in an old printer, working or not, and get $50 off the price of certain newer printers.  

Distinguished Correspondent
bestem
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote: 

I don't think it's elegant enough. I really like the one LaurieB shared. However, if it's HP printers only that's a problem.

You will need a newer printer, and most of the printers with the technology are HPs, but they aren't the only ones.  Most wireless HPs bought in the last 2 years, and some as old as 3 years old, will have the ePrint technology.  Look for one that says "e" anywhere in the model name, like "Officejet 6500 e-All-in-One"

Epson has it on some of their newer models, called Epson Connect.  Kodak calls their service Kodak email Print.  On Lexmark printers look at their Smart Solutions.  Not all of the Lexmark's with Smart Solutions have their own email address, but you can do something similar by putting what you want to print into Evernote, for instance, and printing that from the Evernote app on the Lexmark printer.

I haven't seen anything on the couple Canon or Brother printers that we sell at work that have similar technology, nor did a very quick Google search turn anything up, but that doesn't mean it's not there.  

If your printer is only a couple years old, take another look at the manual.  If it's older than that and you're looking at getting a new printer, many of which have much better cost-per-print than the older models so upgrading might be worth it (HPs 8600 inkjet models have a better cost per print than even their mono-single function lasers for instance) then talk with your salesperson and tell them you're interested in being able to print directly from a device that doesn't have access to the common app stores, so the printer having it's own email address would be helpful, and they should be able to recommend some, including non-HPs.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs

to Fivedom:

I am able to eprint wirelessly thru email so that works also!  I just send whatever I want to print to my HP printer's email address and it prints.  That solved the problem.  Thanks!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Campyrs, glad to know you found a solution.

Regarding this: Look for one that says "e" anywhere in the model name, like "Officejet 6500 e-All-in-One"

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I think I'm going to trade in my current printer for one with wireless capability and this eprinting capability sometime this year.

Tired of wires. And the ink replacement costs more than the printer.