Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Profiles Keep Changing Names - Anyway to Keep It From Happening?

So here's the deal. During B&N's recent Mother's Day sale, I bought two HD+s - one for my husband and one for me. They're registered to the same B&N account; but he'll use his, and I'll use mine and probably never the twain shall meet. Now here's the problem: Each device only has one profile on it; and while the contents on the devices remain different, the profiles want to be named the same thing. Several times now I've edited the names of the profiles to reflect the device's owner; and each time, one has changed to match the other. My profile is currently going by my husband's name even though the name in the upper left corner clearly says TnTexas' Nook and there's only one profile on there.

Other than registering the devices to separate accounts, is there any way to keep this from happening? And does anybody know why it's happening? I would have thought the profile names would be confined to each device - not shared between them.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: Profiles Keep Changing Names - Anyway to Keep It From Happening?

Dont have two HDs but have been playing with the profiles between HD and DH's iPad and its working pretty well.

Just guessing, but since its one account and only one profile, B&N thinks you're (constantly) changing your name. If you mainly read the same material, just set a separate profile for your husband and allow him access to all the content.  If your reading tastes vary, set up a main profile (all content), then separate profiles for you and your husband. Then each user just goes to their profile and just sees the content they are interested in.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

I have an HD+ & an HD, I set up my son's HD with a child profile for him and the main profile for myself.  My HD+ automatically updated with his profile.  If you have multiple devices you should set up a profile for each of the devices since they are sharing the same account.  This is a switch from the Color/Simple Touch as there were no profiles.  I do like having the separate profiles since we read the same books our spots are saved on both devices so if I am on page 32 and he is on page 109 they are saved relatively on both devices.

mrskooshie
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

So basically the name of the  primary profile for each device is attached to the account the device is registered to and is not confined to the device itself - even though the information contained in the primary profile can vary from device to device? Is that correct?

If so, that's an ...... interesting programming choice on the part of B&N's developers.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

TnTexas, yes, that's what it seems to be.

Since B&N archives Profiles, it's assuming that the primary profile is the main profile on both devices and constantly changing the names when it syncs and archives the profile information online.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom: TnTexas, yes, that's what it seems to be.

Since B&N archives Profiles, it's assuming that the primary profile is the main profile on both devices and constantly changing the names when it syncs and archives the profile information online.

It would seem that you're right; that's what it does. Why they would assume that the same person is using the primary profile on two different devices makes no sense to me, but it does seem to be what they're assuming - and syncing names accordingly. Sigh.

I'm in the process of setting up a second profile on my husband's device with his name, but it's slow going. I really wish that carousel at the top didn't automatically populate itself. Clearing everything off of it is driving me crazy!

ETA: Finished adding a second profile to my husband's device only to discover it pops up on mine as well. So now I understand what's happening. B&N is assuming its customers want the profile information available on all HD devices that are registered to an account, and since both my husband's devices and mine are registered to the same account ..... well, there you go. Can't say I'm really fond of that design decision since it kind of makes both devices shared devices. I'd much rather my device contained only my profile and his contained only his; but c'est la vie in Barnes&Noble-ville. Sigh.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

For the carousel at the top you can pull down to get menu and choose settings.

Then you can choose what you want in the carousel. If you uncheck everything the Carousel disappers (but the space isn't available for you to add something - it's just empty).

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

TnTexas, 

I'm curious. On a single device, all the adult profiles use the same passcode lock. If you have different devices, can you set different passcodes for each device? Make them feel a little more like your own. 

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

@NookGardner - A quick test showed that yes, you can use different passwords for different devices - assuming they don't do some kind of syncing later on. But once you're inside the password, you can access any profile on the device - at least adult profiles can.

Interesting observation: Both devices sync so that they both have the same number of profiles with the same names, but the profiles have different content on each device. In other words, we have two HDs registered to one account (his and mine) and both have two profiles on them (Jane and John).  Jane (mine) has different content than Jane (his) and John (mine) has different content than John (his). So why B&N chose to make it so that all the profiles show up on all the devices makes even less sense to me now than it did when I figured out what was going on.If the content can be different on each device, why force the issue in the first place?

@5ivedom - Thanks for the tip about how to turn off the carousel completely. If you would rather not use it at all, that's nice to know. But if you'd like to use, turning off the options and turning them back on doesn't appear to clear the carousel. When you turn the options back on, the carousel repopulates and you have to erase them item by item. If you have a large account, that's a pain.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, the Carousel is a carousel of horror. I have it turned off completely.

I would have liked the option to select what goes on the Carousel and/or only show recently opened items.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Definitely. I think it's fine once you've cleared everything - especially if you confine it to recently used material. (Don't know for certain since I bought it to use in a class setting and the class isn't meeting right now) But the initial setup is a pain. I'd rather it started out blank and then be filled in by the customer if they like; but if they want to show you what the carousel can do, they really should allow you to delete the contents en masse or limit the initial number to 10 items or so. Having to delete one at a time what feels like several hundred items is highly annoying. 

(And just for the record, the Fire's carousel isn't any better in that respect. It does the same thing initially and you have to delete its contents one at a time as well. I do like the Nook's carousel design a bit better overall, though, since you can decide what kind of content you want it to display - including none. You can't do that with the Fire's - at least not the 1st generation's.)