Frequent Contributor
bru20

Puffin Web Browser free today

B&N has Puffin Web Browser for free today as part of Free Fridays.  Since it supports Flash it may be worthwhile to get it while it is free even if you aven't installed Flash yet.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/puffin-web-browser-cloudmosa-inc/1110110776?ean=2940043892997&itm=1&...

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Re: Puffin Web Browser free today

Thanks for the tip! It is really fast at loading pages.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Contributor
james_screech
0 Kudos

Typical arrogant yank. It may come as a surprise to you that the majority of the World's population is NOT american. The World's is not just your country but consists of about two hundred different countries.

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades

I don't live in USA and I have no problem at all getting the free stuff. I don't hide behind a VPN or anything.
Correspondent
SkipperT
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads-up!  Downloaded and installed without a hitch and it seems likeable, but how do you make it scroll to the bottom of these pages without cutting off the bottom of the page?  Also, I can't make it mark a check-box for "remember me".  Oh well, minor issues.

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
Contributor
james_screech
0 Kudos

Swedereades wrote:
I don't live in USA and I have no problem at all getting the free stuff. I don't hide behind a VPN or anything.

How do manage that? Having spoken to B&N via their chat help service, they say that free Friday offers are only available to those with a registerd USA address and credit card.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

There is a free version on GooglePlay/PlayStore, though slightly less cloud storage/speed.

And Puffin does flash....

Dang Yanks!

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
0 Kudos

james_screech wrote:

Swedereades wrote:

How do manage that? Having spoken to B&N via their chat help service, they say that free Friday offers are only available to those with a registerd USA address and credit card.

I do have a US address (even though I don't live there) but no US credit card. I can't buy books or apps, but I can get free stuff.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

I remember from an old conversation somewhere else on the forum, it appears that Canadians who have Canadian credit cards but a USA residency address on their Nook Accounts could get access to USA offers, unlike Canadians with a Canadian residency address....

I must admit, though I'm in UK I haven't de/re registered & put a USA address with my UK credit card to try it out.

I'm guessing that would make my residency for the purposes of book sales the USA, and I would miss out on any UK releases of UK authors til they were also released in the US.....

Reader 4
knittermama
0 Kudos

I have a question.  On Friday I downloaded the Puffin Web Browser, but it won't work on my HD+, & immediately moved it to the cloud.  Did this happen with anyone else?  And what can I do about it?

Thank you,

Stacy

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

@knittermama

It installed just fine here on my HD+, but the font is so small and light that I can't see it.  Dolphin browser is much better than Puffin.  I'm not impressed with it in the least.

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
0 Kudos

I had big problems getting Puffin to install on my HD+. It said something about "file type not supported" the 5 or so attempts. I rebooted the tablet, archived and unarchived the app. No luck, redid everything again, and then out of the blue it worked...

And I saw on Facebook that others had problems as well.

Reader 4
knittermama
0 Kudos

I will try that!  Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

It might be an HD+ vs HD difference.

I have HD 8 gb and Puffin (the Nook version) installed straight away and screams as Opera did before it bacame bloatware.

As to the font size comparison, Dolphin v10 is slightly smaller than Puffin on the HD. I don't have an HD+.

I am old Opera browser user and with the recent changes in Opera, it is refreshing to use a fast, and working browser. Opera's Beta is not polished and is stripped of some of the features of the former version.

And Puffin runs a youtube video that balked in Opera Beta.

Puffin / Tweetdeck doesn't remember my login for Tweetdeck, grrr annoyance.

But it handles the wunderground weather bloat pages very, very cleanly and very quickly. :smileyhappy:

Puffin has gaming features I have yet to use, or understand for that matter.

It's too bad that others are having problems. :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

[ james_screech-wrote:
Typical arrogant yank. It may come as a surprise to you that the majority of the World's population is NOT american. The World's is not just your country but consists of about two hundred different countries.]

I notice that everyone gave you a pass for blasting someone who simply made a public service post/announcement, which had nothing to do with geographics/politics/or international hedgemony.  You owe him an appology!  The arrogant person is you!

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

@bluepen61

On my HD+, Puffin leaves a 1 inch white border on either side making the screen much smaller and the font smaller.  On Dolphin, the screen is full and the font is much larger and darker.  I don't have an HD so I will take your word for it.  

Contributor
ankala
0 Kudos

I have downloaded the Puffin, but am not aware of how I can install Flash to my HD+?

Is Flash available as an app or how do I install that?

THANKS
Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

This is the url for B&N's flash app. Just download it and install it...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/browser-plugin-barnes-and-noble/1113914386?ean=2940043651563

Good luck
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

campyrs wrote:

@bluepen61

On my HD+, Puffin leaves a 1 inch white border on either side making the screen much smaller and the font smaller.  On Dolphin, the screen is full and the font is much larger and darker.  I don't have an HD so I will take your word for it.  

The large difference in margins is true in landscape, but is only about an eigth of an inch in portrait, so the difference in font size is barely noticeable in portrait. Puffin's advantage in speed is worth it for me on my HD+, even in landscape.

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
0 Kudos

After having tried Puffin both for general browsing and to watch flash content it seems to me that it's probably not great for non-US peopel. My guess is that the way it works (running stuff through their US-based servers) produses a very noticeable lag. At least it does for me (in Sweden). Not only for Flash content, but for non-flash pages as well (they load a lot slower then on Chrome, just to mention one browser) So those non-US people that can't get it may not have lost out too much.

I still think it was great of BN to make this a free app, if only for a day!