Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

QuickOffice Pro no longer available on HD+

Prior to purchasing the HD+, had a checklist of features/apps that wanted to make sure were available/compatible from the NT to the HD+.  One of these apps was Quickoffice Pro which WAS compatible with the HD+ when I purchased the device (right after thanksgiving.)

Installed the upgrade when it came out, and proceeded to do an erase and reregister at the same time.  Not sure which one of these knocked it off the device. (When subsequently checked the website again today, compatibility has been changed to NC/NT only.) 

Not really the end of my world since primarily used it as a file manager and a way to forward attachments (and there are probably other more effecient methods at this point.)  And Office Suite comes included with the HD+.

Just don't be surprised if you update and the QuickOffice Pro app is no longer there!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: QuickOffice Pro no longer available on HD+

NookGardener, you can use this (openExplorer) as a File Browser: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/openexplorer-brandroidorg/1111331126?ean=2940043894236

For QuickOffice Pro, either

1) It is removed for some actual reason.

2) It's just a server side error (in app getting deployed). I know that for one of our apps we had some problems recently and they had to re-send it out.

So it might just be that they are fixing something in that regard (servers or deployment or something) and that Quick Office Pro will be back.

It might be back in a week or two.

However, I don't know anything for sure. This is just conjecture.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

It is still shown as available for the NC and NT and is still on my HD+ even after the update and checking for updates, hopefully they will update it to see files on the SD card on the HDs.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Swamprat, yes, it was still there after I did the update.  About an hour later I did an erase and reregister which "seems" to be when it was wiped (was using the program on Thursday to move things around.)

5ivedom, thanks for your thoughts on why it may be missing (hopefully temporarily.)  Am familiar (and thankful for) OpenExplorer.  It was more of a "what the heck, am I losing my mind" moment when I realized it was gone from the device.  Things are there,.... then they're gone. 

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

I just did the "Erase and Deregister" reset, and OfficeSuite Professional 6 is in the apps screen, for free trial or $14.99 purchase.  I have never seen QuickOffice Pro.  Are these the same thing?

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Competitors...

OfficeSuite "Lite" is already built into the HD/+, but mainly only allows viewing of Word/PowerPoint -- I think only Excel was editable.

The Professional version makes editing of Word and PowerPoint possible, as I recall (I don't do enough PP to make it meaningful).

Has one problem -- no direct access to files on an inserted SD card (work-around: in OSP settings, change the default path for "My Documents" to /mnt/ext_sdcard to get access to the card contents -- but does mean you have to navigate the "internal memory" to get to the internal "My Documents" area).

Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

They are two different apps. I have both but like the OfficeSuite version better than QuickOffice

Jack

Contributor
Flamberge

After the 2.05 update wiped out all my content, I had to erase and deregister. Now QuickOffice Pro doesn't show up anymore. That's pretty annoying, because it was available before on my HD+. Hopefully they'll give it back to us HD users, because that was a $14.99 purchase.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

If you just purchased this app since getting the HD, would give it a week or so and if it doesn't come back by then, send Alex a PM and ask him for a refund.
Contributor
Flamberge
0 Kudos

The developer says it should still be available in the shop. Looks like I'll just stick with my Tablet until they relist this app, because I don't want to pay $14.99 for another office suite. It's a shame this app has been MIA for so long on the HD because I really like that device.
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

I hear you! Right before Xmas I was this close (holds thumb and index finger an eighth of an inch apart) to buying and HD+. Then I saw this thread. QOPro is too valuable an app for me to do without, so I'm waiting on the sidelines until it becomes available.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

I'm lucky enough that I registered my HD+ before QO was pulled from the shop.

I'm not too positive for the future, though. Google recently bought out QuickOffice, and Google is famous for refusing access to any of their apps on Android devices that aren't Google Play enabled (read: that aren't produced by a company paying Google a licencing fee). I really hope that it gets relisted, but I just know this is going to end in heartbreak. :smileysad:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's very interesting. That Google bought it. It might have very big plans for it.

I agree that it's quite likely that Quick Office will get restricted to 'official' Android devices.

Flies a bit in the face of all that openness talk.

Did you read about the report where a new launch of a phone using a new OS called Aliyun was cancelled because at the last minute Google threatened to pull its license?

Here: http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/09/17/googles.rubin.gets.fired.up.over.acer.and.alibaba.part...

Correspondent
cybersmoke53
0 Kudos

I too hope that QuickOffice Pro gets to return to the HD+.  It still kind of makes me angry that an installed app that was on my HD+ and was working fine as long as I didn't use the external_Sd could just get snatched off of my device without any warning.  . I had paid a LOT OF MONEY for the app and it just goes POOF!!!  one day. Well it went poof along with everything from B&N I had installed.  I had to reset and redownload everything after the last update.

I like the file browser in QuickOffice much better than the OpenExplorer as it was much cleaner and to me easier to use, so I hope it becomes available for the HD+ again soon.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I have Office Pro 6.0 which I believe is the latest version on both my NC & my HD+. It works fine on both so I am not sure what they are talking about when they say it's not compatible on the HD?? I originally got it free when I bought my NC a year ago last Xmas season through HSN. It upgraded itself twice since that time & it transfered over when I got the HD+. I have the 2.05 update & it lasted through that as well.

I had a few apps that did not transfer over, including Evernote, although some that did transfer do not work that well. BN does not have a real impressive line up of apps so I haven't paid much attention to what's going on.. The only thing new I have downloaded is Crackle. I tried to download the HD version & it said it was not compatible & it wouldn't even download. I tried the one for NC/NT & it works fine. I did the app update thing a couple of weeks ago & the HD version just showed up.  Now I have both versions of Crackle!! Being a big believer of "if it's not broke don't try & fix it" I haven't even tried to open the HD version. The HD+ is so flakey that I am afraid it will decided to remove both versions if I try to get rid of one of them.

I would be very upset if I purchased Open Office Pro & it vanished. I wouldn;t try & use it to write the great American novel but it works fine opening files & doing an edit on a short document. It is a lot easier to use on the HD+ because of the larger screen. Seems strange that Google would buy it as they have their own Google docs & are all about making things "webcentric." Certainly would not see the program as a competitive threat.

BTW- my shelves seem to be hanging tight as long as I remember to remove books from the shelves before delete them & not to try and delete a book when the device is attached to the computer.  

Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

I started with a NC then a NT and moved to the HD+ at Christmas (version 2.0.5). All my programs transferred over including Evernote, Office Suite Pro 6, etc and all work fine.

Contributor
Flamberge
0 Kudos

Quickoffice Pro was running fine on my HD+ until that stupid update glitch wiped out all my stuff. When I went to reregister the device, that's when Quickoffice became unavailable. It would be nice to get some kind of response from the dev other than "it is available in the Barnes & Noble store". I'll keep trying I suppose, though this Google buyout sounds like chances may be even less now that I'll get my paid app back.
Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

I just used Quickoffice Pro on my HD+ today it works fine on my device and its still there.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Reader 2
dmoisan

I had QuickOffice Pro on my Nook Tablet, and I've been worried about the product ever since Google bought them out.

I cannot get QO on my new HD+, no way no how.

What really gets me:

I read lots of PDF's.

Lots and lots of PDF's.

When I had a 32G card (before it died), fully 16G was made up of PDF's.

The HD+ may be too big to carry around, but it has an excellent screen and is potentially an awesome reader, at least in the few days I have owned it.  My eyesight is bad, and one would think that big screen would be an improvement.  But not for PDF's.

The PDF "reader" in the HD's OfficeSuite is not really a reader.  It's just a viewer that may or may not open your PDF's correctly.  Mostly not.

Worse yet, the paid version, OfficeSuite Pro, is no better!  At least QO had a very functional PDF reader for your money, even if it had some annoying features (such as the thumbnail index being on the bottom of the screen, screwing up your page when you swiped it by accident.)  

I knew QO was going to be not long for the Nook--they never fixed a number of bugs in the Office DOCX code, but this has been an unexpected expense.  A QO user moving to  the HD will have to pay:

OfficeSuitePro  -  $15

Font Package    - $5

ezPDF Reader  -  $4

That's $24.  I know there is no such thing as an investment when buying from the app store, but it's still galling, even knowing that I had to budget for a flipcase, most of which cost more than this.