Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

REALLY TERRIBLE GESTURE AND SCROLLING RESPONSE - ALEX???

As time goes on, the scrolling and gesture response of my NOOK HD+ is getting more and more terrible.  It's unresponsive, laggy, jumpy, jerky, and not smooth at all.  Have cleaned the screen, washed my hands, but nothing seems to help.  I don't recall it was this bad when I first got it.  But it's really bad now. 

I post this out of immense frustration with B&Ns failure to provide regular and effective fixes to the issues we all report about, and do sincerely hope that someone knows how to resolve, but I'm guessing it's really a bug issue that needs to be addressed by B&N's singular, lonely little developer tech who they chain in a closet and only allow to code on every other Free Friday in months without an R. 

Anybody?  Ideas??  ALEX???

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

Re: REALLY TERRIBLE GESTURE AND SCROLLING RESPONSE - ALEX???

Hm, my HD+ is fairly smooth. Not anywhere near what a Surface Pro is like, but smooth enough for everyday use.

Have you tried restarting the device?

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

Yep...  Restarting does not improve the touch response.  In some sections, scrolling and gestures are fine like when reading a book or magazine.  But in other areas, such as scrolling through my Library, or through B&N books and apps on SHOP, and especially in the BROWSER the response is terrible and seems to be getting worse and worse.

Contributor
MINPINROSIE
0 Kudos

Amen to everything you said!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

BFH, what you wrote sounds like a memory leak or some app running in the bckground surreptiously and causing slowdowns.

1) Get the App Killer app from the store and see if there are any strange apps running in the background.

2) Try the Dolphin browser and see if that's faster.

3) See if turning off WiFi improves performance. Just try it for a bit - that'll tell you if the reason for the slowdowns could be some app using WiFi and slowing things down.

Also did you try the reset where you do

Press N button and power button for 30 seconds?

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

BFH, what you wrote sounds like a memory leak or some app running in the bckground surreptiously and causing slowdowns.

1) Get the App Killer app from the store and see if there are any strange apps running in the background.

2) Try the Dolphin browser and see if that's faster.

3) See if turning off WiFi improves performance. Just try it for a bit - that'll tell you if the reason for the slowdowns could be some app using WiFi and slowing things down.

Also did you try the reset where you do

Press N button and power button for 30 seconds?

Will try your suggestions.  Didn't know about the N+power button method until saw you and another person mention it here.  Thanks much!

And also - as long as you're here...  I would love a little app made in a way similar to your Track Your Battery Life that lets me control volume more conveniently and precisely than pressing the darned button on top.  The cover I'm using makes it very difficult to use that button.  Please let me know if 5ivedom comes up with someone like this.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

BFH-CA, I'll let you know if we do something like that. At the moment we have no plans but you never know.

Contributor
rickey_boy
0 Kudos

I notice the terrible scrolling when I am using the browser and trying to surf the web. Pages seem to take forever to load enough to scroll. I know this is a software issue on B&N's side because my HD+ is rooted and scrolls perfectly fine on that side of things. Web pages in Android load and run like butter. I too, wish that B&N would get it together with more frequent and thorough updates to the OS.
Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

So I tried Dolphin.  I don't like it.  Not as laggy and unresponsive as the native browser, but I just don't like it.  I also tried closing the browser down completely, and closing Nook down as 5ivedom recommended but got no improvement in native browser.  Tried - again - to delete cache stuff but that didn't help either.  It just left me with the really annoying chore of having to manually log into all the accounts I use with saved credentials. 

I don't remember the browser being this bad when I first got my Nook HD+.   Makes me think it must be accumulating "junk" the way Windows XP used to which required regular cleaning of temp files, defragging, and reboots.  I don't know what the cause is on the Nook, but I do know that I am still furious with B&N at their apparent complete lack of concern about providing any fixes, updates, or improvements to these devices.  Heck, they aren't even providing new covers, like maybe ones that take advantage of the auto-sleep capabililty.  Makes me think they've already abandoned this device - AND US!!! 

When the Nook Color was having major issues, I got mad (incineratingly furious) enough to contact corporate directly by phone and actually talked to a real live person there about the issues and it wasn't long after that the problems I cited were taken care ofl, which was good.  Sadly, though, the person I spoke to seemed to have no knowledge at all of the problems that so many of us were having with the NC.  Looks like I will be doing that again sometime soon.  But it will have to wait until I finish with incineratingly infuriating issues with Blackberry and Verizon.  I can only have so much fire in me at one time without burning MYSELF up! 

Thanks to all who offered suggestions here.  Wish Alex would respond.  He seems to have helped a few other people but seems to ignore me now because I didn't like his responses to my complaints about the removal of the soft N on the NC.  Oh well. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, you should talk to upper management. I contacted them with an issue and was surprised to get a response from someone VERY high up the chain.

This:

I don't remember the browser being this bad when I first got my Nook HD+.   Makes me think it must be accumulating "junk" the way Windows XP used to which required regular cleaning of temp files, defragging, and reboots

You can get this app called App Killer (or perhaps one called My App Manager) and see what apps are running. There might be something running in the background.

I'm with you on B&N needing more improvements in software. They've made some. However, they can add more.

The hardware is beautiful. The software is unpolished.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

You can get this app called App Killer (or perhaps one called My App Manager) and see what apps are running. There might be something running in the background.

I'm with you on B&N needing more improvements in software. They've made some. However, they can add more.

The hardware is beautiful. The software is unpolished.

Thanks again 5ivedom.

Well, if I've done a hard restart and the first thing I go into is Browser and it's dog slow and jumpy right off the bat, then not likely to be an app running rampant in the background.

I agree the hardware is beautiful.  But the software is not unpolished - it's rusted!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

BFH-CA,

The problem is that certain apps like Twitter run always - they start on startup.

So you really need to get App Killer or Your App Manager and check and see what's running.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Out of curiousity, how are you exiting the browser? Are you closing all the tabs to close/exit out? Do you periodically clear the cookies/history/cache on your browser? You can set Dolphin up to clear on exit. Stock browser you have to clear manually. (FYI. safari on ipad gets real slow too if you dont clear these items periodically too. Websites historically like to download little "stuffs". )

Go to Settings, Applcations, Web and then Privacy & Security (if using stock browser.) Clear everything you can (cache, cookies, history.) You dont have to clear the passwords. Try this and see it the browser improves.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

5ivedom, the app: My app manager is not meant for the HD or the HD+. Just so you know...
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Oh ... thanks Campyrs. So for HD and HD+ it's only App Killer then. This My App Manager seems good.