Frequent Contributor
pops1959
0 Kudos

Rapid charger?

I picked up a charger that has three USB ports on it. I needed one for my HD+ and one for my bluetooth keyboard. The charger also has a port for a rapid charge. Is this safe to use on the Nook HD+?

Contributor
james_screech
0 Kudos

Re: Rapid charger?

Probably. Standard USB can only supply 0.5 amps I would assume that the rapid charger ouput can supply more. The nook will only draw up to a certain amoutn of current from the adapter, it won't take more current than its charging circuit lets it take or the maximum that the adapter will supply which ever is the lower. As long as the voltage is 5v the current rating should not matter.

Frequent Contributor
pops1959
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. As it turns out the charges I bought wouldn't even chargeg my HD+ at all. When plugged into it my HD+ showed discharging. So they were returned. Ordered a different one from Amazon. They arrived today. Same thing... no charge. It would appear that there aren't any after-market USB chargers that will work with the HD+ at this point. I just wanted something with two USB ports that would charge both my HD+ and my bluetooth keyboard so i didn't have to carry two wall-warts around with me.

Ah well.  Thanks again for your reply.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Most "charge ports" are still limited to just 1000mA, which /might/ charge an HD/+ if you turn off the display after connecting the device... but it will take ten to fifteen hours.

Even my TV has a 1A USB port -- designed to power portable hard drives for slideshows.

Some newer computers have ports that are powered while the computer is OFF that supply more than the 500mA standard (dropping back to standard when the computer is booted).

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

It's worth bearing in mind that the Nook HD+ will often charge from a usb port when the screen is off, but when you switch on to check if it's working it stops charging ands starts discharging.

Way to check if it really charges is to make a note of battery %, hook up to usb and tap the power button to turn the screen off, leave for an hour & then recheck the battery %.

Hope that you find something that works for you.