Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Recommneded Email App? And question about "temp" files

[ Edited ]
I'm done fighting to get the standard email "app" working. I deleted and reset my email account twice and aagain, it just sits spinning in "downloading emails" mode. I'm looking for recommendations for email apps that I can find in the Google Play Store that will work on the Nook HD. I also have 4K files when I go to "my files". Trust me, I do not have that many books, pdf's, songs, pictures, magazines, etc. When looking through these files 99% are some sort of temp file. How do I get rid of these? While generally small in size, there is so many of them that I would bet they are directly effecting the performance issues I'm having. Help please! ETA: Email finally downloaded after 15 minutes. 22 blank messages. You can't see a title, content, nothing. ::::: sigh ::::
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Re: Recommneded Email App? And question about "temp" files

RE:  Temp Files

I had these too, and the HD+ was running really slowly.  I bit the bullet and derigstered and erased it.  It's happy now.

I would be interested in a better app too, although the stock app works fine with my email.

Correspondent
cybersmoke53
0 Kudos

I use the K9 Email app available in the Nook App Store. It is highly configurable and I get my email.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

I use the gmail app, as for clearing unwanted files, I use CleanMaster. I also use ES File Explorer for manual cleaning, as well as other things.

Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input thus far. CleanMaster doesn't seem to be cleaning up the temp files. I'll try that other app and then bite the deregister bullet if that doesn't help.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Have you set up email to attach to POP servers or IMAP?

Android devices seem happier with IMAP - and you can normally find the setup instructions on your isp's site or call their customer services for it.

Using the IMAP settings resolved the numerous issues I had with email when I was using the POP settings.

Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

I dida combination of deregistering and switching to IMAP for my email. Hopefully this will do the job. Thanks everyone!
Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

Haven't had any real problems with the HD or any other Nook email app, but maybe I have a higher tolerance for what constitutes a problem! I have 3 Yahoo accounts (don't ask!) that all loaded fine as soon as I configured them. I use the GMail app for my gmail account. The only issue I have is that my Comcast account, which is my primary, won't work with any of these apps. I have to get to it in the web browser. I'd like to have all my email in one place, but that's a minor complaint by comparison. 

As for the temp files, I get them all the time. I too use Clean Master app and I also use Battery Doctor, both of which seem to extend the battery life. Neither gets rid of those pesky files in my Library, though, and for that I use ES File Explorer.

Just my contribution to the thread, nothing new or exciting. 

Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

When using ES File Explorer, what types of files do you look for to delete? I want to be sure I'm not deleting the wrong things! :smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

jfender wrote:

When using ES File Explorer, what types of files do you look for to delete? I want to be sure I'm not deleting the wrong things! :smileywink:

Mostly cache files and temp files. I won't delete anything that looks like a program might need it. Clean Master does a good job on its own, but I go into the My Files in the Library on a fairly regular basis and delete those files that keep showing up.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Is it safe to delete all cache files?  Does anything need them for any important reason?