Inspired Contributor
needsomenookie
0 Kudos

SSSLLLLOOOWWWWW

Since the update my HD+ has slowed to a sleepy snails pace. Has anyone else noticed this? I've never had an issue with speed before. Well, except for the B&N website....doh.!

I've been along for the ride...have owned:
Nook Simple Touch
Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Nook HD+
Frequent Contributor
Claimdude

Re: SSSLLLLOOOWWWWW

Probably some apps running in the background. Try AppKiller at Google play. My HD+ is much faster since the update.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Did you get carried away and download a bunch of new apps? Start checking the settings on those. What claimdude said, you probably have a bunch running in the background.  Also, if you dont have a need for Location Services, turn those off as well (tend to be a battery drain, IMO.) Its under settings.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Straight after the update, my HD+ was glacially slow.

I had also changed the content of my SD card, so it had to deal with indexing all 32 GB of that as well as the brave new world of 2.1, so I just left it sleeping overnight to catch up with itself.  By morning it was much quicker and happier, and it has been just fine since.

Hopefully yours has speeded up by now too.

New User
beastman
0 Kudos

I've only had my Nook a few days - it updated to 2.1 right away and ran perfectly well. Afer installing about 7 or 8 apps it slowed to a crawl. I did a full reset and it seems fine again. Is this common? Any ways around it? I have a list of about 15 apps that I'd like to install but the way its looking any more than half a dozen renders it useless.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Dont know which 7 or 8 apps you have installed.  Sounds like they are all still running in the background. Things to look for:

Check each app and see if there is an exit option. Use that instead of n button or recent drawer option to go to another app. 

Check the settings of the apps. Do they have a need to "phone home" to update data? Can you change the frequency so not running so much. (Easy example, email default setting used to be to check for new email every 5 minutes. Which means that its almost always on in the background.)

New User
beastman
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

Dont know which 7 or 8 apps you have installed.  Sounds like they are all still running in the background. Things to look for:

Check each app and see if there is an exit option. Use that instead of n button or recent drawer option to go to another app. 

Check the settings of the apps. Do they have a need to "phone home" to update data? Can you change the frequency so not running so much. (Easy example, email default setting used to be to check for new email every 5 minutes. Which means that its almost always on in the background.)

the thing is theres plenty of RAM spare (was over 200mb spare according to a task killer app) and CPU/GPU should be more than ok for the apps I run. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

200 Mb is not very much RAM.

These are high screen resolution devices. Just a single image when loaded is 10 MB.

So if you run through 20 images or start running a video then 200 MB isn't enough.

The devices come with 1 GB RAm.

So 80% of RAM is being used up. That's bad. There's no resaon for apps that are not running to use so much.