Contributor
HerbTheHorn
0 Kudos

Sandisk 64 GB in HD Problem

I have tried to use a Sandisk 64 GB Class 10 micro sd in my new HD. When I try to load several mp3's it crashes and reboots. When I load 10 GB of music onto the card directly from my laptop and put the card into the Nook, it reboots several times before seeing the files. This also happens with my wife's HD+. There is no problem loading and using these files on the internal memory.

Is this a bad 64 GB card, though it works OK in the computer? Have others been able to load and use many large files on a 64 GB card?

Contributor
Jasonrn
0 Kudos

Re: Sandisk 64 GB in HD Problem

I am having similar problems with Sandisk 16 GB class 10 card.  I have been loading movies on it.  Randomly during playback, the movie will stop and a message pops up that it cant play the file.  These files work fine of the internal memory.

Trying a class 4 card now to see if that makes a difference.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

I have a 32GB class 4 in my HD+, I have also used a 16GB class 4 with no issues playing movies.  I have not tried music though.

mrskooshie
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

HerbTheHorn wrote:

I have tried to use a Sandisk 64 GB Class 10 micro sd in my new HD. When I try to load several mp3's it crashes and reboots. When I load 10 GB of music onto the card directly from my laptop and put the card into the Nook, it reboots several times before seeing the files. This also happens with my wife's HD+. There is no problem loading and using these files on the internal memory.

Is this a bad 64 GB card, though it works OK in the computer? Have others been able to load and use many large files on a 64 GB card?

Did you format the card with your HD or otherwise?  Formatting with the HD will make the card work with your device. HD does not support the uhs speed, IF you look through your user manual/guide for the device, it explains the format differences and why you have to use the HD's format to use the card. I have the same card and it works fine. 

Contributor
HerbTheHorn
0 Kudos

Even when the 64GB card was formatted by the HD, it crashed when copying files to it and crashed several times when reading the card loaded with 10GB of music files.

I finally figured out how to have the HD format the SD card, since it was already formatted as bought in exFAT. Windoze 7 only formats 64GB in exFAT. I formatted it with a 3rd party formatter in FAT. Then the HD formatted it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

Did this resolve the issue for you?  I have a similar problem with a Sandisk 64GB Class 10 card.  I was just looking for a Class 6 64GB card but those are harder to find.

What 3rd party tool did you use?

Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

I had been told that Nooks, including the HD+ couldnt take a 64gb sd card....obviously this information was in error? Do they work in the Nook without having to partition? (It was their tech support that told me they would support only up to a 32gb). If so that it great and I will have to get one.

Pookie

Contributor
Larrym19
0 Kudos

The HD+ will take an 64GB HDXC card. I know this because I have one in mine loaded with 60GB of comics. If you're worried about fornatting it there is a 3rd party formatter here:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads

One thing though - when you delete something off of the card you will most likely have to do a soft reboot in order to get it to recognize that whetever you deleted is no no longer n the device. It's irritating to delete something and still see it on your home page.

Contributor
HerbTheHorn
0 Kudos

I must have gotten a bum card. I tried the sdcard.org formatter, and it still has the problem. The HD is up to 2.0.5.
I note that n2acards.com has stopped offering the 64GB card because of reliability issues.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

I wonder if BN Tech Support reads their own products manuals sometimes. 

According to the Nook HD+ user guide found at https://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK-Support/379003184 on page 94 64GB microSDXC cards are supported.  However the UHS speed is not supported by the device.  From what I've read the UHS speed is an optional feature that the device can use but doesn't have to and it mainly used for things like recording video.

So, in theory any microSDXC card should work if the manual is accurate.  I bet a 64GB MicroSDXC Class 6 card would work better but those are hard to find and usually more expensive than the Class 10 with UHS support.

As far as my card goes, I've not had much luck.  I had a 64GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS card that suddenly stopped working.  You could make changes to the data on it, but as soon as you unmounted it the contents would revert to a previous state.  This was even the case when plugged nito a computer so I sent it back as defective for a replacement.

The replacement out of the box had the same random reboot problem the original poster commented on.  Most any time I would access the card my Nook would reboot.  I started a full overwrite (not the quick one) format with the sdformater program mentioned earlier.  I wanted every sector of the device to be touched by the utility.  I'll copy my data onto it alter and see if it works any better.

I've been copying my data to it with it a USB card reader and then putting the card into the Nook rather than using the stupid slow transfers of MTP.  Would that maybe make a difference?

BTW, I had used the nook to format it initially and still had the reboot problems.

Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I am having trouble getting my 32gb card to work properly.....I use Win7 and reformatted it using a card adaptor to a exFAT format. When I remount it into the Nook HD+ and connect to the computer, it reads it as a generic hierarchy format. Connecting to Calibre all the books I had saved to the card are now gone, only the ones loaded to the internal memory remain.

How does this program work and do you use it while the card is in the Nook and attached to the computer via USB? Willing to try anything right now to keep from having to reload all these books yet again!

Would you recommend using a 64gb card?

Thanks for the information.

Pookie

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Pookiebr, what worked for me was plugging in the card and letting Nook format it.

1) Using the program listed above should work. I haven't used it so can't help with steps.

2) You can also try this:

Go to SEttings. Then to STorage Management.

Then click on the 'SD CARD' row. The one tht shows informationa bout SD Card.

Then at the bottom will be option to 'Erase'. This will format the card for you.

Let the Nook format the card for you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

I'm a bit frustrated with the 64GB cards at the moment.  I just sent back to Amazon the MicroSDXC Class 10 64GB card I had and ordered a Class 6 one.

I'm not sure if it's just bad luck but as I've said I had one fail completely and the other randomly reboots the HD regardlesss of if I have the SDFormater, Windows 7, or the HD+ itself format it.

Since Class 6 is the highles class supported mentioned in the manual I'll give that a shot.  If this doesn't work then maybe I'll just stick with the 32GB card i already have.  I wanted the extra space for movies but this has already taken up to much of my time.

In a few days when I get the Class 6 I'll post here how it worked.

Contributor
NicoleInAL
0 Kudos

When you reformatted the card, you erased all the files (books) you had loaded on it. You will need to reload them.
Contributor
NicoleInAL
0 Kudos

I'm using a 64GB N2A card; it's a SanDisk 64GB Class 10. Second time was the charm -- the first card just didn't work at all now matter what, yet the same card worked fine in my PC. I suspect the Class 10 cards are close enough to the edge of working that tiny differences in individual cards can make them work or not. Once I had the card spontaneously dismount while booted into CyanogenMod. The OS and apps loaded in memory were okay but they could access new files. Very strange. Unless someone really has a need for a 64GB card, I'd suggest stick with the Class 4 32GB cards; two of them if necessary. The 64GB support just doesn't seem to be stable, although perhaps a software update will help with that.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's 64GB that screws things up for the Class 10 that's causing problems.  I'm hoping going with a slighly older Class 6 64GB card will help.

I seems that Class 10 cards are replacing the Class 6 ones though. There were far fewer options for purchase when I narrowed my search to class 6.

Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

I know reformatting dumps/erases everything on the card. This was already after I reformatted and reloaded all my books. I connected to Calibre some weeks later to load some new books and found everything I had loaded onto the "card A" gone.

Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

Then click on the 'SD CARD' row. The one tht shows informationa bout SD Card.

*Then at the bottom will be option to 'Erase'. This will format the card for you.*

I did this and it reformatted it into the generic hierarchial format again.......WTH?
Will try the program and see what happens. Can you use the program while the card is still mounted in the Nook or do you need to format it singularly using an adapter?
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

are you using a HDXC card? According to the user guide/manual, that is the ONLY type of 64 gb card that will work over 32 gb.

Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

Im using a 32gb SDHC scandisc micro memory card.