Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat

Secret Nook HD Menu

I was playing around with my nook HD and I found a hidden menu. Here is how you get to it.

1. Click on your apps

2. At the top of your screen it will say apps, Press and hold apps as you press the volume up button. 

3. Your in

This should work on other nooks too, just not sure which ones.

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

Re: Secret Nook HD Menu

HD+ and no extra menu here.

Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat
0 Kudos

Your Sure? Well i guess it only works on the HD

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
Correspondent
Wulfraed

Still present on my HD+.

But I'd modify the instructions; to get to the Extras menu open Apps, hold down Volume+, THEN press and hold the title Apps on the page. Has always worked for me.

I believe it is even documented on the developer's page where they describe how to use ADB to load non-store apps.

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

If you do this with an e book purchases from BN it gives you the option of archiving, which some people prefer. I have only done this from the library, not the home page.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's interesting that the same method works for both the 'Extras' menu on Apps Page and for giving the special menu for Books.

I wonder if there's anywhere else it can be used?

Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

Strange, I have a v2.0.6 HD+ and I can't access any secret menus using the supplied procedure. How long do you have to hold these before it appears?

- Byron

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

I have an hd+ and I held down the volume + then held down the book/ magazine I wanted to archive and a menu popped up allowing me to archive, sweet!
Inspired Contributor
needsomenookie
0 Kudos

not too tech savy here so i'm hoping someone can explain the advantage of the Apps/Volume+ secret menu. What can I do with that?

I've been along for the ride...have owned:
Nook Simple Touch
Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Nook HD+
Frequent Contributor
Claimdude

Archiving from your HD+ with the hidden menu actually REMOVES the book or magazine fron your view in the HD+. The NC and NT had that feature and until the post showing how to get to the hidden menu I couldn't get it done with my HD+. When you move something to the cloud it stays visible and clutters up the place.

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

I consider this a great find, I don't understand the concept of "cloud" when I really want to archive a book when I'm done reading it. I wonder how long this option has been around? :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
needsomenookie
0 Kudos

Thanks Claimdude! as a matter of fact, i wasn't too fond of my "archived" things still showing on the screen. This helps! thanks!

Nook Simple Touch
Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Nook HD+
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Noelle I have a HD+ and for me to achive, while on the Apps page,  I hold down the Volume + tab and then long press on the app I want to archive and a menu opens and there is the archive option. Same as yours.

My question is how do I see what I have archived?

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Doreenpv wrote:

Noelle I have a HD+ and for me to achive, while on the Apps page,  I hold down the Volume + tab and then long press on the app I want to archive and a menu opens and there is the archive option. Same as yours.

My question is how do I see what I have archived?

Open the regular library menu (the = button at the bottom left). There should be an option to "view archive"

Baron Wulfraed
Correspondent
Wulfraed

needsomenookie wrote:

not too tech savy here so i'm hoping someone can explain the advantage of the Apps/Volume+ secret menu. What can I do with that?

There are a few special applications that only appear in the Extras page: the rudimentary voice recorder, a diagnostic program, the actual application that drives the "Moby Dick" wallpaper, etc.

This is also, as I understand it, where applications installed using the (developer) ADB option will appear. Apparently there is something done in a B&N Shop purchase that makes it appear on the regular application page.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Thanks Baron.

Kudos

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Regarding this:

What Wulfraed said.

This is the only place you can see apps you sideload using adb. Which is the only 'official' way to sideload apps from other stores.

There are also some interesting apps -

Nook HW Test. This lets you test the Nook's hardware.

White Balance Setting. This lets you change the white balance.

Downloads. Let's you see a list of downloads.

etc.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Claimdude wrote:

Archiving from your HD+ with the hidden menu actually REMOVES the book or magazine fron your view in the HD+. The NC and NT had that feature and until the post showing how to get to the hidden menu I couldn't get it done with my HD+. When you move something to the cloud it stays visible and clutters up the place.

I haven't played with this in awhile, but when I archive books this way they appear to remain on created shelves. I haven't had any disappear yet. I hesitate to say this will be stable, since there have been shelving issues and I am not currently using an sd card. I have a 32gb HD+.

Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat
0 Kudos

What is the moby dick. It does not do anything when clicked
Inspired Contributor
needsomenookie
0 Kudos

so can i really screw up my nook poking around on this screen?

if i suddenly cant use it i dont think ill do too well. i dont think there are clinics around here yet for nookie withdrawal

Nook Simple Touch
Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Nook HD+