Frequent Contributor
rdut
0 Kudos

Re: Secret Nook HD Menu

I too have an HD+ and can get to the extras screen, but no white balance option. If anyone comes up with and answer please post it. I like to read in bed with the lights out and the font is really too bright as it is.

Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Rdut, Here is my coustomer service chat. Hope i could be a help.

Alvin: Thank you for joining Barnes & Noble Digital Chat. My name is Vin and I will be assisting you with your concern today.

Johnathan: How can you change the white ballance on the nook hd+

Alvin: I'm sorry but NOOK HD+ white balance cannot be changed. It only allows you to adjust the brightness.

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Well, based on the things people have shared chat and phone don't really know much.

If you see the White Balance in your Extras - great, it's there.

If you don't, then you're out of luck.

Perhaps the first few batches of Nooks had this, and later it was removed?

My Nook HD and HD+ were bought before release.

For the people who have the White Balance setting app, were your Nooks purchased recently or around Christmas or right around launch?

Contributor
GerryF
0 Kudos

I bought mine in mid-February. First thing it did when I turned it on was upgraded to 2.0.5. I do have White Balance, even after my 2.0.6 upgrade nightmare.

Contributor
GerryF
0 Kudos

Sorry - I meant mid-January.
Frequent Contributor
rdut
0 Kudos

Based on recent experience, I don't really trust anything Customer Service tells me on the phone. However, I'm afraid they are right this time.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

I also don't have the White Balance App but I bought mine on release day. Not sure what the difference is.
Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

I also don't have the White Balance option.  Bummer.  Why would they get rid of that?  That would be really handy when I want to read without a light on.

I like that we can archive stuff, though.  That really bugged me that I couldn't get books and apps not to show on my Nook when I didn't need them there anymore.

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Why would they get rid of that? 

I'm not sure if they did something.

Perhaps the company that loads the OS for them on the devices forget the app for some Nooks. Perhaps it wasn't supposed to be there at all. It has some instructions in Chinese so perhaps it's meant only for factory workers to calibrate the screen.

Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1

It does appear that the white balance control is there for factory calibration.  Just a guess, but perhaps the workers are supposed to delete the app when done, but some don't.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That makes sense.

First time in my life I've been glad the person who put together my car/device/TV did an incomplete job.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Bought mine day one, also--and I also don't have the white balance option.