Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Selling my Nook HD+

I'm thinking of unloading my HD+ plus poetic slimline case - I haven't touched it for more than an hour since I bought the Samsung 8 incher I'm carrying now.

Let me check with my girflriend on this.  If she wants it she gets first dibs.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
TriscuitCracker

As the Nook person at my store I can tell you that messing with the software does technically void the warranty. I can also tell you that unless the MOD you talk to is a total stickler for the rules, nobody really cares. They'd still help you. Whenver somebody comes in with a messed up Nook due to a rooting, I simply do a hard reset without the SD card inserted and bam, problem fixed.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Adding the sd card does not change the os in any way.

mrskooshie
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

>>N2A cards do void the BN manufacturer's warranty.<<

I'm not deniying you know your stuff, since you work there...but if a person had a hardware issue with a Nook and took the N2A card out before returning it...it's still using the original software.  Why would it void the warranty--and how would they know it?

Full disclosure: I got the N2A card for my HD+.  I used it a few times.  But I have it in my NC, so I took it out of the HD+ and just use the NC as an Android tablet while keeping the HD+ in the native Nood interface.  My HD+ started to overheat so I brought it back and they exchanged it for a new one.  No one asked about if I'd had anything like the N2A card.  I don't think it had anything to do with the issue. I'm honest enough that if I thought I'd done it with the card, I wouldn't have asked for the exchange.

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

Well, according to the N2A website, the card will NOT void your warranty.. 

N2A Help

It does make sense as once the card is taken out you can reboot your device to a true B&N format and vice versa. It's not the same as rooting the device as this will permanently change the OS. Once this happens, it's much harder (if at all possible) to get it back to the original. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well, the n2a folks can't say what voids a BN warranty. Statements like that are one of eason I'm surprised BN hasn't told them to stop using the nook logo and name. In the case of the hd+, one use of the n2a card that could damage a device would be someone wanting better performance choosing to use set cpu to force the processor to run at full speed 100% of the time. battery life would be bad and the battery and cpu might be damaged by heat buildup. Once the card was out it would be very hard to prove what had been going on, and I don't see it as likely, but it is a way that root access can be misused.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

I was thinking the same thing, only B&N can determine what voids the warranty.  However, using the N2A card is similar to using a separate hard drive on a computer, this does not void the warranty.  If someone is using the N2A card to overclock the Nook that would be a different story and would not fall under regular use.

mrskooshie
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's a good question.

How does anyone at B&N know a N2A or AFN card has been used if the user takes it out and boots to normal Nook?

Are there other signs?

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

I just have a quick question.  Will the N2A card work in the HD+?  At the site it only mentions the Nook Color and the Nook Tablet.  It would be pretty slick if it would work like an android tablet with the HD+.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie

There are 4 separate downloads/cards for the Nook devices one for each of them Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Nook HD, & the Nook HD+.  I personally have one for each of my two Nook Colors and one for my Nook HD+.  

mrskooshie
Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

For those that have tried the N2A cards with the HD+, have any of you found another ereader app that recognizes embedded fonts? Does Nook for Android recognize embedded fonts?

- Byron

Correspondent
LadyTessie

Hey Daenas! I'm glad your friend convinced you to hang on to your HD+ for a while. Perhaps the update out today will make it more like you want it to be. The annoucement I read indicates that previously purchased googleplay apps will be accessible on the HD devices. It sounds good to me. I'm considering getting one even though my nook tablet is wonderful.

Terry - Richmond, VA

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie

I loved my Nook Color so much I bought one for my husband, but I still got the HD+ for myself when it came out. They had them on sale for $175 over the weekend and I almost bought a second one! I really like mine :-)
mrskooshie
Wordsmith
daenas

Just read it on Yahoo news! Big stuff and sounds like I will be happy that I kept it too!