Frequent Contributor
HowlMC

Shelves Disappearing

Has anyone else had their shelves disappear on the HD+. Several times I've been working on the device and I'll have several shelves set. Then I'll either exit or power off the device and when I come back the shelves are gone. I am not deregistering and I'm not resetting so I'm not sure what the problem is?

I"m concerned because this has now happened on two different HD Plus devices?

Does anyone know if there are any more patches coming out for the device soon?

Along with this I've also periodically had trouble downloaidng books, hae had errors about the "reader stopping" or "the library stopping". 

I love the device but it seems unbelievably buggy

Reader 4
RobinBaker
0 Kudos

Re: Shelves Disappearing

I also had my shelves disappear on the HD+. I was creating and adding them in the same manner that I did on the Nook Tablet - long-pressing the book cover and choosing "Add to Shelf".

There is another way to add books to shelves on the HD+. When on the Library screen, tap the lower-left corner "menu" icon and choose Create New Shelf. Name the Shelf and tap Save. This brings up a Manage Content window where you can tap Books to bring up a list of all the books on the device. You can then tap to check the boxes next to the books you want to place on the shelf. It's a little slow, but I've got a lot of books.

Hopefully the second method will be permanent. I'm not going to shelve any more books until I am confident the shelves are not going to disappear.

An even better solution would be to store shelf information in My Nook (in the "Cloud") along with Account information. That way shelf information could download to a new device along with the books and we wouldn't have to re-shelve everything manually. This is a suggestion for the Developers.....

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

I was so glad to see this thread.  I could have sworn I set up a shelf for Fiction; since I have over a hundren books, I did it the way you describe.  But when I bought a new book yesterday and went to add it to a shelf, the Fiction shelf wasn't there.  I figured I was just mentally losing it.  Thank you for the reassurance that I'm not on the first step to dementia. 

Since many of us have multiple/serial Nooks, it would be ideal to have a shelving system that synced across the entire ecosystem.  Given the whole Cloud thing, I don't know why this would be difficult. 

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Coughlin,
The shelves aren't disappering, but are set up to work the same way the books on your home page work - they show the most recent shelves accessed, (on the shortcut line when you first tap on library) . If you then tap directly on "my shelves",it will bring up all of your shelves. At first wnen you tap, it will appear that there are 0 shelves. Be patient - there is currently a significant lag after tapping, but then they will appear.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I've done that.  The two newer shelves are there, but not Fiction.  When I longpress a book to add it to a shelf, the option for Fiction isn't there.  I can re-create it, of course and see what happens.

Contributor
Deac-
0 Kudos

I have found that books placed on shelves and homepage dissapear after a reboot. These books are on my SD card. During the booting of HD+ you can see that it is reading the card and library slowly grows but books are not placed where they were before reboot
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

If so, that's a bummer, since all devices need to be re-booted from time to time.  My book are all on th eNook itself, nearly all from B&N.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Sounds like the same issue that plagues the Nook Simple Simple Touch of books loaded on SD cards disappearing from shelves after a reboot. However, the shelves shouldn't disappear... 

Frequent Contributor
HowlMC
0 Kudos

After some research I agree with other members. The problem is that if you build shelves with sideloaded content from your SD card, after reboot the shelves disappear. So what I decided to do is put all books, magazines, etc on the Nook internal memory and all movies on the SD card. This is working great and I'm not experiencing any other problems.

Hopefully they will fix the issue in the future but for now 32 gig internal storage is more than enough for my books and should suffice for years to come. 32 gig SD won't hold a lot of movies but who cares, I'll just store them in the cloud and then bring them down when I travel.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

All 11 of the shelves I built contained only books that are BN content, not downloaded or from an Sd card. They still disappeared after I turned off the device & restarted it so I don't know if sideloaded content is the issue.This happened twice.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I lost my 29 shelves too, twice, after deleting an office document from internal memory (was able to recreate this loss 2 additional times with just a couple shelves and a few books on each), and again after deleting a corrupted sideloaded book on internal memory. Although I had no books on an SD card, I did have an SD card on board, loaded with videos. On both occasions, while deleting the items, there was a quick indicator of the HD trying to access the SD card, right before shelves disappeared.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This is a big clue:

. On both occasions, while deleting the items, there was a quick indicator of the HD trying to access the SD card, right before shelves disappeared.

I had my shelves disappear when I was trying to backup up scrapbook (not sure if that's possible). I'm pretty sure SD Card was involved then too.

Increasingly it seems that majority of Shelves Disappearances are related to Sd Card usage.

Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Increasingly it seems that majority of Shelves Disappearances are related to Sd Card usage.

I didn't have an SD card installed and it ate my shelves twice. I'm not bothering to do them again until they fix it.

My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Compulsive is reporting shelves seem fixed after downloading 2.04 update.

junonia-shell
0 Kudos

Well, I'm sad to report that after getting the update to the HD+ my shelves disappeared again.:smileysad: I had the unit plugged into my computer, adding sideloaded books to my sd card and when I disconnected, they disappeared again. I only had about 11 shelves made at the time. Any ideas why????

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

junonia-shell wrote:

Well, I'm sad to report that after getting the update to the HD+ my shelves disappeared again.:smileysad: I had the unit plugged into my computer, adding sideloaded books to my sd card and when I disconnected, they disappeared again. I only had about 11 shelves made at the time. Any ideas why????

how long after the update did it happen? i was pretty sure at first that the update hadn't helped me at all as it repeated the same things again after the update. And after a couple attempts, it suddenly worked for me. This morning before my company showed up, i sideloaded about a dozen of my books, created 21 shelves and shelved my newly sideloaded books to the appropriate shelves. Daughter played with it a bit during the day but otherwise, sat most of day.  Tonight, everything I did before are all still there. Next test was to reboot and see what happened. All is still good. No sd card is installed. Now to go play some more and see what else happens. hope typing makes sense. Hedge trimmer and my finger got into a fight and the hedge trimmer won. one peck at a time here.

junonia-shell
0 Kudos

I got the update last night. Made 11 shelves of books last night. All shelves were there until this evening when I hooked it up to my computer running windows7. I sideloaded 2 new books I bought today from another site onto my sd card. My files, my books. When I disconnected the device is when the shelves disappeared. Maybe it has something to do with putting them on an sd card rather than the device itself?
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

The first time i set up shelves, they somehow got set up on the 2nd adult profile. Not sure how that happened, I thought I only had the one, but there they were. You might check there just to be sure that didn't happen. I deleted that profile at one point to keep myself from getting confused so I can't compare now and then to that profile, only the main profile. And I could never get my main profile straight. go figure.

Contributor
deoren
0 Kudos

In my case the books I had disappear were on the device itself and not the SD card. I haven't tried to create additional shelves since the 2.0.4 update.
Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I just started setting up my shelves for the 3rd time. I have nearly 600 books the majority of which have been sideloaded. I am not using an SD card & I have the update installed. The shelves disappeared both before & after the update. The first two times I had rebooted. Between reboots the shelves were retained so I thought I would be OK as long as I did not shut down. Several days passed & the shelves were retained with the device on, although it was mainly in "hibernation."  Tonight I put the device on the wall charger. It remained "awake" the entire time. When I took the device off the charger the shelves were gone - all of them.

BTW- when I redid  the shelves I experimented with using the two different methods for creating the shelves to see if one would result in better retention then the other. This does not seem to make any difference in the end result. One of the reasons I upgrades to this device from my NC was because of the supposedly improved file management system. So far I'm not impressed & this shelf thing is totally irritating. I went to the BN store & they said they had not heard anyone was having any problems. I asked them in anyone ever looked @ this board. I also called tech support & they too acted surprised. The only advice they had to offer was to do a full system reset & start clean which is their SOP for nearly any problem you call about. If anyone has found a fix or has a clue as to why this is happening I would certainly be open to suggestion.