Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

Re: Shelves Disappearing

Forgot to mention I have HD+ 32 gig. Don't know if that makes a diff.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Seacity Lady, so far it seems it has nothing to do with HD or HD+ or model of HD or HD+.

All get it.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

If the file system was the criteria you may be in for a dissappointment. Shelves aren't, to my knowledge, part of the file system... The exFAT format used on SD cards of the device is file system. I believe shelves are "database"; that is, some file keeps a list of what shelf to display a book on but it is still in the same directory of the file system. The Library "app" scans the file when displaying shelves.
Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

My shelves have disappeared twice since the upgrade. I'm not going to make them again until the next upgrade. One of these times, they'll be fixed for good (I hope!)

Frequent Contributor
HowlMC
0 Kudos

The last time my shelves disappeared, I was trying to move a downloaded movie that was on my internal storage back to the cloud. It performed that function and then promptly removed all of my shelves.

Any time I've lost my shelves, I've always been disconnected from the PC. It has either happened when moving a file to the cloud or when my sideloaded content was on my SD Card.

My side loaded content has been placed on my nook by dragging and dropping to the internal storage Books folder. I use Calibre to convert my books and edit them but do not have it send the files to the device.

So I'm hoping that there is a fix soon from B&N. Also I hope that I'm not doing anything on my part to lead to this problem since I'm not using Calibre to upload them and there is no way to eject my device from the PC.

I'm still wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the SD card since my movies are download to the card instead of my internal storage. It seems to be a trend that anything on the SC card leads to disappearing shelves.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I don't use Calibre, I haven't sideloaded anything to the HD+, and I don't have an SD card installed.  I did have shelves disappear early on.  they've been stable since...but I haven't messed about since then, so to speak.  I had deleted a scrapbook around the time the shelves vanished.  Haven't done anything like that. It makes me a bit reluctant to do anything like that; but then, that limits functionality. 

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

To date my shelves have vanished 4 times. The last  time they last 3 days. However, during that time the device was mainly in hibernation. They were fine tonight until I forgot & deleted a sideloaded book I had finished reading. That action deleted all my shelves. The deletions occured twice when I rebooted the device, once after I had completed charging it & tonight with the deletion of the book. I am so digusted. I don't know if taking it back & getting a replacement is the answer. It seems to be a fairly widespread probem. I have spoken to both store personel & technical support who deny there are any issues so there is no assurance a fix is being worked on. I am not using an SD card. I've also noticed when I created the shelves the screen seems to "lag" when you press lightly on a book in the library to bring up the shelving menu.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Curiosity: Was the deleted book on one of the shelves? If so, did you remove it from the shelf before deleting it from the device? (I'm seeking to find out if one trigger might be the device having to rewrite the shelves database when content is actually deleted -- and somehow reinitializing the database instead).
Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

My shelves disappear totally whenever I do a full shut down (which I find I have to do whenever I move or delete content to get the HD+ to recognise the changes)..!
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I did a full shut down last night (with great trepidation.)  The shelves were all intact when it re-booted.  I've had them disappear once, but I'm not usre what triggered it.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

To answer your question - I did not remove the book from the shelf before deleting it. I deleted it directly from the library. It said the book deletion was "sucessfully" accomplished." Well, it was but it too ALL the shelves with it. It does seem to be related to any action that causes the data base to re-write or reactivate. This includes shutting down/rebooting the device & deleting objects on the shelf. It's been my experieince that this occurs whether the deletion is done from the device or when attached to the computer (eg deleting a book from within Calibre.) However, I have been able to remove a book from one shelf & move it to another without the deletion occuring. If there is a re-write issue I should not be able to do that. ??

This appears to be a software issue & not related to the hardwar , in which case it should be fixable with an upgrade. However, BN does not seem to want to acknowledge there is an issue. Also it is strange that some people have the problem & others don't. It is possible that the variable might be the the # of shelves created & the # of obects on the shelves. I have around 600 books & they were on 8 shelves. The two largest held about half of the total collection.

Until this gets fixed, if ever the only options seem to be is to not attempt to create any shelves, or to do nothing that would cause a change after you create them. This includes never shutting down (which could be a problem since I have had the shelves delete after a charing the device.)  

Contributor
NikonGirl
0 Kudos

I shelved 185 books using both the 'create a shelf' method and choosing the books from the list and by selecting the book and choosing the 'add to shelf' method. They kept after restarting several times and I even sideloaded a few times as well. Its now the 4th day since I bought my HD+ and theryre gone. There is no way I am shelving all those books again until I know this is fixed.

Teresa
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Moving a book between shelves (or removing from one) is /only/ database operations; the book itself never moves from its location in the file system. Deleting a book from the file system means having to scan the database for all records linked to the book, that may (this is all hypothetical) be miscoded (it may be deleting the database instead of deleting only the record of the book).
Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

Does anyone know where the shelves database is stored - and whether it is possible to see it and edit it) from PC..?

I am assuming not...

Frequent Contributor
HowlMC
0 Kudos

So is there some way we can get B&N to actually read this board and see that this is a real problem that they need to freaking fix? I'm so sick of calling CS and being told they are unaware of any problems, and the same with the in store kiosk. How can they not know of this and not be actively trying to fix this. I've been a loyal B&N Nook user since the 1st edition. I am contemplating being done with them if they can't fix it.

This is absolutely ridiculous.  I love my HD+ but the shelves is a great feature that I've loved since it was first introduced. I am just so pissed at them they refuse to look into this.

can we get in touch with someone higher up the food chain that will listen to us on this and other issues?

Reader 2
cmw0829
0 Kudos

I had my shelves disappear multiple times last night. One of the shelves had downloaded books from the  public library. The other had the user guides.

I did not turn off the device. I was moving between the shelves and the library tyring to open a library book. I was getting the "This book has been returned" error so was trying to open from both the shelf and the library/books folder. Poof - my shelves just disappeared. Added them back and poof - gone again.

Sadly, this thing is heading back to the store this weekend. It's just too troublesome.

Nook HD - 16 GB

Inspired Contributor
alliewinter
0 Kudos

I had my shelves disappear after deleting and editing scrapbooks. Then I had an issue with charger coming unplugged and it shut down on its own. Since I didn't realize when it happened, it took about two hours for it to charge enough to start up again. That deleted my shelves as well. It's aggravating scrolling thru 750 books & samples... I'm not reorganizing until I'm confident they'll last!
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Well, it happened again, after appearing stable for several weeks.  I have no idea why.  I do not have an SD card.  Yesterday, I sideloaded two books, then un-sided loaded one of them as it wouldn't open.  the sheleves were in place afterwards.  Today, I tried (unsuccessfully) to take some screen shots.  When I was looking for the files, I found the chelves gone.  I won't be setting them up again unless or until the feature is fixed.  I'll give Goodreads a shot.  I want/need especially a shelf for those I haven't read to make it easier to pick my next read. 

Contributor
Faith95
0 Kudos

I created about 15 shelves and put all the books on them.  It took me most of the day.  Now they are all gone.  I love my Nook HD, but I wish I'd never purchased it.  If all I'd wanted was something to read on, I could have purchased the simple touch.  I purchased the Nook HD because I thought it would be a nicer device, but it's just plain frustrating. And I don't have any intention of rebuilding shelves if they are just going to disappear again.  From reading these pages, it seems like that would happen.

Inspired Contributor
BrittanynCory
0 Kudos

I am so glad I found this thread!!! Same issue here. 600 books I can not 'shelve'. I've set up four shelves countless times in the last 4 weeks and they've disappeared every time. I'm sick of trying to organize my books. This was my favorite feature on the Nook color and now... I gaze longingly at my old friend, I'm sure, my son will never relinquish. Please B&N, please listen and help your customers :smileysad: Brittany