Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Shelves have disappeared

I've spent about 2 days organizing my 500+ books onto shelves only to realize that they have all disappeared!  Has this happened to anyone and is there a fix?  I have a Nook HD+

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Re: Shelves have disappeared

Yes--I have had this experience.  I had initially only created one for Fiction, but a day or two later when I got a new book, I found that Fiction had disappeared.  There is another thread about it.  It was suggested that it happens when one re-boots.  However, I don't remember that I'd re-booted after I set up the shelf.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky
0 Kudos

You are not alone...I did the same thing. I can't figure out what to do to find the shelves. I know they are IN there somewhere? How to access them...Helllllp! Yes, it is HD+ like yours.It's Awesome and I love it! Patty
All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Inspired Contributor
Logician
0 Kudos

It does the same thing on the HD. After three attempts that all ended up with the shelves disappearing, I've given up until B&N fixes it. It's very annoying not having them, but it's more annoying having all that work being for naught.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Logician wrote:

It does the same thing on the HD. After three attempts that all ended up with the shelves disappearing, I've given up until B&N fixes it. It's very annoying not having them, but it's more annoying having all that work being for naught.

This feature is working correctly for me. I wonder what the difference is ? I do not have an sd card yet?

Bibliophile
laurieb52

I just want to reiterate there is a significant lag when accessing your shelves. I sometimes have to wait almost 40 seconds for the shelves to show up, and when you first tap on shelves, the HD shows (0); try waiting longer....

I also don't have an SD card installed.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Contributor
Logician
0 Kudos

No lag on mine. They disappear.

junonia-shell
0 Kudos

HD+ here. After working on my book shelves all last night, I turned it on this morning and abracadabra, they were all gone. This is the first time this has ever happened to me and I have owned the NC, NT, and NST with sd cards and have never had a problem with disappearing shelves until now.
Contributor
IowaAuntie
0 Kudos

Mine disappeared too, after I created a shelf that included magazines they all disappeared. I created a couple more shelves and am waiting to see if the disappear too or not.
Reader 4
marksmind
0 Kudos

Happened to me once too - then added some shelves a second time and they  stuck, at least for the last week.

Contributor
Pulitzer_Fan
0 Kudos

Mine also disappeared. I have 2 profiles set-up. When I set-up the profiles in my Public Profile (Child), the ones in my Owner profile disappeared.

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

Mine also disappeared but only after I downloaded some public domain books within Calibri.  I realize the software developers are working as hard as possible to get so many features and functions working correctly so I'm being patient.  I feel they need to know what could have gone wrong and when though so they can duplicate the problem.  Still, hope it's fixed very soon.  However, love my Nook HD+!!!!

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

I have all the shelves I've created....haven't lost any yet. All my books and magazines are in the Nook HD+ memory though. Nothing is on the 32g SD card that I have installed. I also have not set up any profiles.

junonia-shell
0 Kudos

I have found that as long as you don't completely shut down your device, your shelves will stay intact. Once you do though, you loose all books on shelves whether they are on the device or on sd card. I will patiently wait and see if there's a fix in a future update. Until then, I'll survive.
Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Well, I don't recall shutting down my device, but I recently created three shelves, just to check some theories out. I was hopeful because the shelves remained in my library for about 3 days, then poof, they are gone, again. I'm giving up until they send a fix! :smileyhappy:
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I agree.  I know I did not shut down the device, yet my original Fiction shelf disappeared.  The two I created a few days ago have remained.  The other thing is that, from time to time, one generally needs to power off and on to clear up iossues that I assume are related to memory. I have to do it periodically with my NC and Simple Touch (and iPhone as well.) 

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I've had no trouble maintaining shelves, even after shutting the HD down, however, as I've stated before, when I tap shelves it takes about 40 seconds for the shelves to show up. I have 29 shelves, with the maximum number of books on one shelf being 74. Do those of you who keep losing shelves have more books on one shelf?

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I only have the one profile set up so this is theory that I haven't tested. Are the shelves connected to the profile used to set them up? is the device always booting up to the same profile? Do the shelves show up under a different profile?

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

I have NHD with software version 2.02 and only the one (original) profile set up.  Have tested it by setting up both a shelf and using the scrapbook option.  Turn unit off after setting these up and then back on.  I didn't loose my shelves or anything.  It all stayed just like I set it up.

Wondering if maybe various profiles might be the culprit?

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I only have on profile.  So far, the new shelves I've added have held--it was only that first Fiction that disappeared.  Now, I have a lot of fiction, but the new shelves have only oe or two books on them.  I wonder if volume was the issue.