Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: Shelves have disappeared

I do notice that when I first open my library, it seems to take several seconds for things to show up. Opening My Shelves at first appear as if all the shelves I set up again were gone. It took about 20 seconds for them to show up. That's long enough for a person to assume the shelves are not there and panic. The shelves I set up originally are still not showing up though the new ones are.

But..I did not tinker with my one profile until after the shelves were made so maybe that is what did it.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I can say that my Fiction shelf is gone...not a matter of delay. The other two two I set up later are still there.  I guess it's time to go back into the water again and try a few more. 

Inspired Contributor
Logician

It's not a delay. And it's not panic. It's a bug that B&N needs to fix.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, my shelves disappeared today(first time) when I was messing around with converting a downloaded .pdf file to a .doc file, so I could place it on the home screen.  I used the app Quick Office to convert the file, then placed it in the "books"  file created by Calibre (version 9.03) when sideloading books.  Note: My version of Calibre creates a separate book file on our HD and HD+  one  level up from  the default "My Files/books" folder. 

I had first saved the downloaded .pdf file to the Calibre created " Books" file with the app Open Explorer. However, as Meilin noted on another thread, only "PDF" showed as the title; the name of the file did not show. So I deleted that file from the "Books" folder. Shelves remained.  Next I converted the downloaded file in Quick Office and placed it the Calibre created "Books" folder. The document then showed on my carousel with title, and could also be placed on the home screen. However, as I was just experimenting, I then deleted it from the home screen and carousel, then also deleted it from my "Books" folder. THAT'S when my shelves disappeared.

I've been able to recreate the situation 3 times; each time when I delete the .doc version of the .pdf file from the Calibre created "books" file, my shelves disappear.  Each time, right before the shelves disppear, a "New media inserted-SD card" notification appears.  Of course, the SD card, holding only videos, has been present all along. All of my books, documents, photos and music I am currently keeping on internal storage.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat

I have been saving for a new nook and this makes me not want to lay down money for it. I have had one since they were first introduced. Shelving has been an issue since it was first brought to the program. Most of us have been waiting for them to improve the shelving program ... to no avail.  I do beleive it was in the top five issues we have wanted fixed. That they have ignorned it, is a big worry. Until I see that they accually listen to their customers. I see nothing I need to spend my money on.

Was looking forward to it and now I am dissapointed instead. When are they going to get it? 

Auntykatkat

Inspired Contributor
alliewinter
0 Kudos

I just got my HD+ Friday and had spent 2 days organizing 650 books & samples into 34 shelves. I moved four recent downloads into their respective shelves, read thru a magazine and "poof"... I'm hoping it's a bug they're working on. I'm not going to try reorganizing for a while. I'm relieved that I'm not the only one tho :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
alliewinter
0 Kudos

Just read another thread and someone made a comment about shelves disappearing when s scrapbook was deleted. I saved a few pages from my magazine I was reading but then deleted the scrapbook. Did anyone else notice problems after using scrapbook feature? I deleted a complete scrapbook and two pages from another one before I noticed my shelves were gone. Hmmm...
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I have lost a shelf & had deleted a scrapbook at about the same time. I cant' t swearbit was relaged. But it might have been.
Contributor
kimpe

I've been working on this problem and discovered a few things about working with the HD+ file system. You have to put your sideloaded books in the "Books" folder in the root directory, Not in the B&N directory, or the "My Files" directory. So far I've done this with epub, mobi, and PDF without loss of shelves even after total shutdown. So to my dismay, that 32 Gb SD card I bought can only be used for videos and such. Bummer...

You can organize your books into separate folders within the "Books" directory to take care of the clutter. Don't worry, nook will see them.

The file system seems fussy when it comes to things like renaming files. I don't even try. I just delete them off the nook and rename them back on the PC, then reload them onto the nook again, with a hard shutdown in between deleting and reloading. You'll have to do this even when moving files around. Nook looses them until you give it a reboot. Remember to keep backups!

Filenames are a different animal when it comes to the nook vs. the PC. Nook takes the file name from the metadata within the file. So, if you have a long file name, only about 32 characters will show. You'll have to edit the metadata to display the name in a different way so you'll be able to recognize what it is.

I hope this helps anybody that is getting upset about their organizational problems.

Wordsmith
2noelle

Since moving my epuds from my sd card onto the Nook hd+, I can report that the shelves have stayed for several weeks.
junonia-shell

I can also report that my shelves have been holding now for the past couple of weeks. I still would like a reason as to why all sideloaded books have to be kept on internal memory instead of sd card for them to not disappear off the shelves though.
EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

I have my sideloaded on my internal memory - no loss of shelves, nor has my card gone kaput (I use my sd card for movies to watch in MovieGallery App - my fave app!).

Bibliophile
5ivedom

[ Edited ]

It seems we have most people having Shelves behave themselves if all the sideloaded books are on internal memory.

Some guesses why SD Cards cause shelves to disappear

1) A bug where when the code has links to SD Card it erases shelves in the process of checking/confirming those links.

2) A problem with the code for how SD Card is accessed in Android 4.0. Lots of users have mentioned (at least this is what people say) about SD Card problems with Android 4.0.

For example - for one of our apps we have that if we store downloaded data to SD Card then sometimes device will restart for no reason.

So imagine that data is being accessed from Sd card and it causes a crash of some sort. If that crash happens while Shleves are being loaded, it's possible the Shelf itself gets blown up.

This is what I think is most likely (by far).

3) A problem in code for shelves themselves. Where if some files are not found, then instead of just showing remaining files it erases shelf itself.

So first the shelf tries to load data from sd card about book and fails.

Then the bug kicks in and says - file missing, so shelf might be invalid. Let's delete.

Basically, in Java code there is such a thing as try + catch.

So the code would be something like

try {

load book information

}

catch { (i.e. if the loading book information fails)

do something (since loading book information has failed)

}

if the code for Shelves either does not have a proper catch statement to handle unexpected errors OR if there is a bug in that catch portion, then it would erase shelves every time there is some exception like SD Card not accessible.

Just my guess.

Also, how I would fix it would be:

1) When user creates shelves it creates a list of pointers that are just file locations.

2) It backs these lists up to the cloud.

3) It saves the 'lists' (i.e. shelves) to where shelves are saved and also to 2 backup locations.

4) If during the loading process, where it tries to get information on books on the shelves, if any book fails to load then it just skips over that book. It doesn't updat ethe list until 5 failures in a row to load (5 separate times of showing that shelf).

5) It stores the key data on internal memory i.e. everything needed to be shown (book cover, name, url/location information). For each shelf. So there is both a list of locations and everything needed for the shelf - and this is on internal memory.

We wanted to do a 3D shelf application for Nook and Kindle. One where you can set up rooms with actual book cases and the books have book covers and you can tap on one to open. Unfortunately, neither company allows apps to open books and such.

junonia-shell
0 Kudos

Thanks 5ivedom for the explanation and it sounds like a wonderful idea for shelves. Hey B&N, are you listening??????

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

We wanted to do a 3D shelf application for Nook and Kindle. One where you can set up rooms with actual book cases and the books have book covers and you can tap on one to open. Unfortunately, neither company allows apps to open books and such.

Well that is a silly thing of BN to decide such an app can't access your books to open. That would be a beautiful addition to the devices. I would love something like that! Actually just about ANY shelf application would make me happy, and the more automated, the better. :smileyhappy: I love using the Calibre library so I don't have to actually hook up to the PC, but something that doesn't depend on having ANY access to my PC would be better. Live in the country, so having electricity or internet services is always an iffy thing.

The more self sufficient my device becomes for me as far as control of my library and reading choices, the better for me. That's the number one reason I rooted it.

Hope you come up with something that BN will allow, I would pay for it!! I'm pretty happy with your apps that I've purchased.

Edit: Even an app that just handled the books ACTUALLY DOWNLOADED to the device would be great so we didn't have to scroll through 3000 ebooks that are in the cloud to find the 30 we've actually downloaded. :smileyhappy:

EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

When I had my Nook ST, I couldn't sideload to the internal memory at all because of the 256 mb limitation and all my sideloads had to be on an SD card - and I CONSTANTLY lost my shelves.  Then I got my NT and loaded everything internally just as I do for the HD. 

And I would definitely love an app like the one that is described above.  I too would love to not rely on calibre as much as I do for shelving. 

EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

I know you probably know this @compulsiveread, but just in case I will throw it out there.  You know on Calibre you can make yourself a working index of your shelves with hyperlinks and series info?  Whenever I update, I always make a new index, that way if I need to know the order of stuff to read (if I start a new series), I have it on my nook at my fingertips.  You can make it in excel or even in epub format (my method of choice). 

Its under Convert Books, create a catalog and then there's the dropdown to pick what you want.  After its done making the list you can sideload that index to your nookie.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Yes, an app for this would be good:

Edit: Even an app that just handled the books ACTUALLY DOWNLOADED to the device would be great so we didn't have to scroll through 3000 ebooks that are in the cloud to find the 30 we've actually downloaded. :smileyhappy:

This is so fundamental B&N should make it part of the OS. Some easier ways to manage files.

Inspired Contributor
BrittanynCory
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Isn't this app pretty much what you're describing? I read your post this morning and I just recieved an email advertising Book Collections for Kindle. I'd love to see something like this for the Nook :smileyhappy: 

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Media-Revolutions-Book-Collections/dp/B008J0PZ8K/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=r...

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Five, given how many folks are using other tablets as book readers - your library app might be something you could put in the Google market if the development is done.  You'd build word of mouth through the group of folks here who are doing device modification -- many here who often boot CM7 or 10 might be interested and if they liked the idea, people'd start hearing about it.

It might annoy BN and Amazon that other devices suddenly had not just better done but more appealing shelving.  It would be nice if that prompted BN to either allow your app to work or just iron out the kinks in their software as it relates to where books are kept.  Doesn't seem too much to ask for an ereader from a book store, but so far, it has been.  

(fondly remembers the early NC days, before we'd all pretty much given up on things like robust annotation, when it seemed that BN was in a position to deliver a reader  that let professional readers work more effectively.  Folks like academics, editors, lawyers, scriptwriters.  Apparently Julie stays home most days and drinks enough wine that she doesn't notice that her shelves are incredibly sensitive to where on the device they exist.)  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.