Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Showing covers on the Nook HD+

Can someone show me the official way to get the Nook HD+ to load covers for sideloaded books? I have Calibre managing my ebook library and all of my books are DRM free. If I sideload a book that does not have a cover it loads fine, but the minute that I apply a cover in Calibre and sideload that copy, it now shows the cover in my Book Library which is great. However, when I open the book, it says "Error Dialog: Sorry, this book cannot be opened."

I did nothing to the original EPUB, just merely added a cover to it in Calibre and synced that copy along with the original without a cover to my device. The book without the cover loads and opens fine, yet the one with the cover does not. Can someone help me with this issue? I can PM someone both copies of my book so you can see what I am talking about if need be.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

Re: Showing covers on the Nook HD+

Apparently it is the moment that I edit the metadata in Calibre that the EPUB file is broken for some reason. I changed the name of a book from "A Game of Thrones" to "Song of Ice and Fire #1: A Game of Thrones" and the book stopped loading, giving me that error dialog box. Anoyone have any ideas? Like I said before, the original "A Game of Thrones" book loaded fine, but the minute I changed the title, error on my Nook HD+. This is frustrating, you'd think they'd have this crap figured out already with how long this device has been on the market.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: Showing covers on the Nook HD+

yes, it can be very frustrating and mostly because these types of things seem to happen randomly.

Start by deleting the copy you have on your device first.

Then, check if you can read the epub properly in Calibre if it isn't drm'd. If you have more than one format of the book, did you download the correct one? I try to delete books of the wrong format so I don't make that error. 

Sometimes, the book gets broken and you have to download it again. If it reads well...then next step is to merge the new cover to the epub using the available plug in (BEFORE you but your calibre book onto your HD as Hd doesn't like it if you do it to the book later). The cover becomes part of the book so you don't have to copy your cover also too. It will also merge metadata if you've changed it. Again, needs to be drm free for this to work. You'll know if it worked if the cover shows up on you HD after it's been shelved or shows up in your main library (not your myfiles area).I don't know why it doesnt always work, but I know that very few of my sideloaded books show up without covers now on my device.

It's a good idea to update your Calibre to the newest version if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

What do you mean merge the new cover to the EPUB using th...

What do you mean merge the new cover to the EPUB using the plug-in? What plug in? I just import the DRM free book into Calibre, then right click it>Edit Metadata and change the title to my liking as well as changing the cover. I then sync it to my Nook HD+ (where the new cover shows up in my Library under Books) and then try to open it and get an error message. Is that the wrong way to change the cover?

Contributor
kimpe
0 Kudos

Re: What do you mean merge the new cover to the EPUB using the...

If you have a epub book that is screwed up I suggest getting a program called Sigil. This is a free program so you have nothing to loose. Load the book and goto "Tools>Validate EPUB with FlightCrew". This tool will tell you what is wrong with the book so you can fix it. Sometimes just loading the book then saving it seems to fix things automatically.
 When you add a cover in calibre, the new cover is inserted automatically on top of the ePub in the viewing order. A ePub book is written in HTML. So if you have a old cover showing you can delete it in Sigil using the HTML editor, making the new one primary. You should know a little about HTML to do this, but it's pretty easy to figure out how. Calibre does have a plug-in called "Modify ePub" that has a section on Covers but I've never used it. I just go into Sigil and fix it. It's also nice to build/rebuild a table of contents.
 Another source of errors is sometimes when I delete a book in the Nook HD+ (from the PC) then try to reload it with the same filename, I get a error message. If I delete the book off the Nook, rename the book on the PC then load it back again, the Nook will accept it. So don't try to fix a book and reload it on top of the old one. I've never been able to get covers to show on a PDF.
 ePub files are a multi platform format so not everything is going to function as planned when you sideload. It's not necessarily the fault if the reader. There is some tweaking involved to get things the way you want them.
 B&N wants you to get your books from them, sideloading is just a nuisance for them so I don't think they're going to rush in and fix every little problem a user might have when it comes to sideloading anything. There are somethings you're going to have to fix yourself. In my case, that's half the fun.:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

I do use Sigil to replace the covers in the epub file with the one I would like but for some reason that breaks the epub file as well and it will not load it on my Nook HD+.

Contributor
kimpe
0 Kudos

I haven't had any problem with loading books from Calibre or books that have been run through Sigil.

I suggest deleting the book on the Nook and do a total shutdown, (push hold the power button until you get a confirm popup). Wait a sec, then power up the nook, (push hold the power button until you see the "Nook" screen), and reload the book and see what happens. A good reboot has a way of clearing things up sometimes

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

In calibre, in the menu bar across the top is the preference button. Hit it, then go down to plugins. At the bottom of that screen will be a button to "get plugins". Another menu will pop up with available plugins for Calibre. You find plugins to merge metadata and covers to epubs, merge epubs, divide epubs, find duplicates, etc. There's several there you can browse to suit a variety of needs. There's even one that works with and syncs with your google account.

Just because you download new metadata and covers, that does not mean they become part of the file, but are separate and used by Calibre for your information. As a rule, that information does not get copied to your device though you can tell Calibre to transfer the extra files with the book, but I haven't had much luck with getting me HD to USE those extra files. To actually make that info and cover part of the epub file itself so that the cover is used by HD, you use the plug in that is for that purpose. I've had very good luck with it.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alright I somewhat got the covers to work. I open the file up in Sigil, change the metadata in there (Calibre still breaks my epubs for some reason) and then delete the main image that shows up (the cover) and replace it with the one I would like. After saving it, I drag it to my B&N Nook HD+, then it shows up in my library with a cover. However, it shows up with the original cover that was in the epub file before I first edited it, not the cover I switched it to. Its kind of a start, but this is really annoying.

Edit* Never mind, I can't even edit metadata in Sigil without breaking the epub, to get the cover to load I just have to pretty much open the EPUB in Sigil, save, and close Sigil, then drag the file to my Nook. I like organizing my books by title so this is stupid how I can't edit the metadata. Compulsivereader, can I send you my epub file along with the cover and title name I would like to change it to to see if you would be able to get it working on your nook for testing purposes? If you can, at least I know there is a way I can get it done.'

Edit2* After more testing, I imported the clean epub (no modifications to metadata, covers, etc) into Calibre then synced it as is to my Nook HD+. It worked just fine, so i can presume that Calibre itself is not breaking my EPUB files, but whenever I edit the metadata in any program my Nook is then unable to read it. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Contributor
kimpe
0 Kudos

Then try EPub Metadata Editor. You can then prioritise the cover.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If I just edit the title then the book works, but the image does not show again in my library for the cover with that application.

Edit* Now it seems like it is one or the other. If I edit just the title and then drop it on my device the cover does not load. Or if I edit the cover in Calibre and then edit the metadata with that program then it won't work at all. Very frustrating.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

i PM 'd you with my email address so you can send it to me and I'll see if it works in my calibre.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

I sent you the epub, hopefully you can get this working!

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

I GOT IT WORKING! My god this is a kind of tedious process, but I got it working nonetheless, so here is how I was able to change the metadata as well as get covers to show on the Nook HD+ for sideloaded books:

1. Import your non-modified (as in do not change the cover, metadata, etc.) EPUB file into Calibre.

2. Right click the document and click Edit metadata>Edit metadata individually.

3. Change the cover to whatever cover of your liking by clicking Browse. After you change it, hit OK. 

4. Right click the ebook and click send to my device. 

5. After the book is on your device, make sure that the cover you wanted it to have is showing in your Library on your Nook HD+.

6. If it is correct, then navigate to your Nook HD+ through My Computer and open up My Files>Books.

7. Copy the book you just changed the cover of to your desktop or any location of your choosing.

8. Download EPubMetadataEditor (linked above) and open the epub you just copied to a location of your choosing with the application.

9. Edit the title, author, etc. to your liking (In my case, I wanted my books to be titled for example "Song of Ice and Fire #1: A Game of Thrones" as opposed to "A Game fo Thrones").

After you are done editing the metadata to your liking, hit the save button and close the application.

10. Replace the newly metadata-edited epub file with the one that is currently on your Nook HD+ by deleting the old one and dragging the newly edited one to your HD+ using Windows Explorer.

11. Check your library on your Nook HD+, and the book should have the title and/or other metadata you wanted it to have as well as a working cover *AND* the book works as well!

I'll admit this is a tedious job to do for every ebook you have, but if you would rather browse your books by series name and have a working cover then this is the only way to get the book to be able to be read on your device that I know of as of now. This might not be necessary for all of your books as some of them might work fine by editing the metadata and cover through Calibre, but for some reason all of my books won't work if I do it that way and they will now if done the way mentioned above. So hopefully for those pesky books that won't load on your device if edited through Calibre, editing them the way mentioned above will allow them to be read. 

Cheers,

Christian!

Frequent Contributor
iTotz

Wow... I figured out how to do it through Calibre and its so simple I'm going to scream. Apparently the Nook HD+ has some limiting factors of using certain characters in file names. I opened the unedited clean EPUB in Calibre, and edited the metadata and changed the name to A Song of Ice and Fire 1: A Game of Thrones instead of #1: A Game of Thrones. The # symbol in the filename is what did not allow the book to be read on the Nook HD+. Hopefully a firmware update in the future allows the use of the # symbol in ebook names as I prefer ordering of my ebooks using that, as it looks cleaner to me.
Contributor
kimpe
0 Kudos

I'm happy you figured it out. I hope they mark your post as "Solved".:smileywink:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

What version of Calibre are you using? Are you downloading over wifi or by USB?

I'm using the most current version of Calibre and I mostly transfer my books by wifi, though sometimes by USB if I'm already hooked up for some reason.

I got your file. It loaded fine for me both in Calibre and on my HD+. Cover showed up well in my main library and opened fine. Deleted it from my HD+. Went back to Calibre and renamed it as you wanted it above. Downloaded it again to my HD+. Showed up well in my main library and opened up fine again. I searched for a new cover on it and found a smaller one from Amazon. Downloaded it and used the "modify epub" plugin to insert it into the file. Before downloading it again to my HD+, I deleted it from my device. Downloaded it once again, with the new title and the new cover added to the book and it worked okay. I'm going to use calibre to email it back to you and see if it works for you.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you, and thanks to everyone else for all of the help! I'm happy I got the books working, I just have to redownload all 400 of my books because I thought they were corrupt...

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

Wait you were able to put a # symbol in the name of the EPUB and the Nook HD+ was able to read it still?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

iTotz wrote:

Wait you were able to put a # symbol in the name of the EPUB and the Nook HD+ was able to read it still?

Yes. :smileyhappy: Try the file I sent you and see if it works. It worked on my HD+.