Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

Re: What do you mean merge the new cover to the EPUB using the...

It still will not read on my Nook HD+ for some reason. :s It will work however if I remove the # symbol. Weird..

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

iTotz wrote:

It still will not read on my Nook HD+ for some reason. :s It will work however if I remove the # symbol. Weird..

Very weird that it works on mine and not yours. But as long as you got it working for you, that's all that matters.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

Yeah I'll deal without the pound symbol ha. Thank you again compulsive!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

not that I was any help, but you're welcome. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

One more thing. Now that I know the # symbol is what is screwing up my ebooks, is there a way I can do a massive metadata rename in Calibre? I basically have about 440 ebooks in my calibre library and would like Calibre to search through the ttles in all of the books and remove the # symbol where applicable. Anyone know how this can be done?

Edit* Nevermind I got it by bulk editing the metadata of all my ebooks!

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady

I have mainly sideloaded books, non-DRM, & they all have covers that show up. In fact the few that don't show up are books I've purchase from BN!

If the book does not have a cover, or I want to change the cover I just "covert" book (epub to epub or PDF to PDF) after I have made any metadata changes.This is a little tricky because a cover will show up in the Calibre cover window (right side of screen above the book description but it's not really "there." Always open the book in the Calibre file viewer/reader to see what kind of shape the cover is in, or if one actually shows up.

I don't use any special plugins to do any of this. I just click convert & let Calibre do it's thing. By doing the "conversion" you merge the cover with the book. Per above, you need to do this, or make any changes to the metadata ,BEFORE you transfer the book by USB. You can't change it or add a cover after you have transfered the book. You won't delete the book from Calibre if you delete from the Nook so if you don't see a cover just delete it from the device & start all over again in Calibre converting & doing a new transfer.

Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, I can tell you that it is definitely something that you're doing or something about your computer and not a Sigil issue, because I change/add to my epubs using Sigil and I've never had a single one fail to open. I wish I could help but, without know exactly what you're doing and how you're doing it, it's really hard to offer advice.

Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

Re: Showing covers on the Nook HD+

[ Edited ]

You said "I did nothing to the original EPUB, just merely added a cover to it in Calibre "

Well, then, you did something to the original epub. Calibre has to modify the original epub in order to add this cover. The trouble is, you have no idea what else Calibre may've decided to "fix" in the process.

Calibre is an awesome tool and I use it when I must but it's a little too heavy handed for my tastes. It does a little too much even when nothing needs to be done and I rarely care for the results. I repair/modify/improve my epubs manually using Sigil.

Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

Finally, I can't help but ask but, why in the world do people use Calibre to "convert" their epubs for their Nooks if they're already epubs? Calibre messes up way too much for me to ever consider doing this.

Why not just manually edit your original epubs to your liking using Sigil and then just copy the files over with the file manager of your choice?

It seems like a lot of trouble and a lot of room for error letting some other program automatically take care of everything for you.

Forget I said that. I love our new robot overlords!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bfollowell wrote:

You said "I did nothing to the original EPUB, just merely added a cover to it in Calibre "

Well, then, you did something to the original epub. Calibre has to modify the original epub in order to add this cover. The trouble is, you have no idea what else Calibre may've decided to "fix" in the process.

Calibre is an awesome tool and I use it when I must but it's a little too heavy handed for my tastes. It does a little too much even when nothing needs to be done and I rarely care for the results. I repair/modify/improve my epubs manually using Sigil.

no...Calibre does not have to modify the original to add a cover IN CALIBRE. I'm sorry that you misunderstood. Any and all metadata/covers you download to Calibre remains separate from the book itself unless you convert the book or modify it in some way. They are stored in Calibre's file for that book. You can have Calibre copy the cover to your device when it copies the book, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck with that. Having the cover and metadata in Calibre does help ME a lot as a referral if I can't remember. I also found that changing the name of the book is very helpful before downloading it to my device.

The only time Calibre does things I didn't want it to do is when I ask it to do too many things at the same time or when I ask it to do things that I don't really understand what the command will do until I did it and went oops! That wasn't what I wanted to do. :smileyhappy: It is very configurable and versatile, but you do have to experiment and learn exactly what each configuration and command does or you might not like the result.

I think most people get used to a certain software and that is what they will always prefer because they know it. You are used to sigil so you will probably always prefer that to other software. Doesn't mean one is better than the other, just what you know and prefer. I prefer calibre because that is what I know. And I like being able to download my books from calibre via wifi instead of usb, being able to create catalogs of my books for download, etc. There's also a Calibre Companion app for android that I hope comes to BN, I use it and love it! You can use it to sync your device to calibre, and calibre will handle your on device file system for books downloaded through the app. Very cool. There's still a ton I haven't even touched yet in Calibre but I just learn one thing at a time and am impressed every time.

Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

Well, I've used Calibre for about four years now, and I'm pretty sure it does change the epub, but I won't swear I'm not mistaken. Just for the sake of argument, I just imported a DRM-free epub. I changed the meta data all around with items I would recognise. I also added a cover. I then had Calibre synch that epub to my HD+. Then I copied that epub back over to my desktop using Windows Explorer and opened it in Sigil to look at it and see exactly what, if anything, had been altered.

Well, as I expected, I found no less than 7 calibre references permanently saved in the content.opf file. Also, there was an additional html page at the front of the epub with my new cover in it, as well as the jpg that I'd used as the cover. All of those are in the actual epub file. Whether or not they are also included as separate files or not are irrelavent. Those other files are not needed and, as far as I can tell, are not used by the Nook HD+ in any way. All of the actual modifications I made were actually written to the epub so my epub is no longer the "original" epub. It is now a Calibre modified epub.

Now, you may have your Calibre setup completely different than I do. Mine is setup with everything as default. If you made some changes to yours that causes yours to behave differently but, as setup by default, it appears that Calibre DOES modify the epub. Check it out for yourself.

Either way is fine with me. Whatever floats your boat. Use whatever works for you and makes you happy. Just don't be telling people that Calibre doesn't make any modifications to the epub because, from what I see, it most certainly does.

- Byron
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

there is a difference between drm free epubs and drm'd epubs and how and what calibre can do with them. Calibre does change drm free epubs. On my PC, when I try to alter a drm'd epub, I get a notice that it can not be done as the epub is drm locked. If that is different for other people, please tell me what settings you have that allows you to alter drm locked epubs so I can do it too.

Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I also got to wondering about what changes may be made if no changes were made to covers, meta-data, etc. I added a book to my Calibre library. I made no changes at all to the ebook. I left it exactly as it was. I moved it to my HD+ and then back like I did the ebook I tried earlier. When I looked at the ebook in Sigil, there were four new Calibre related lines in the content.opf file. Don't get me wrong, they were no big deal and likely wouldn't make any difference whatsoever to anyone that didn't know how and where to look for them but, Calibre definitely, and in minor ways, modifies the epubs, even when all you do is add them to your library and then move them to a device.

But I should've clarified that these are drm-free ebooks. Of course, by their very nature, and to the best of my knowledge, no one can modify an ebook with the drm still intact.

- Byron

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I've used Calibre for about 5 years & I love it. The cover should show up if you "convert" the book from epub to epub which "binds" the cover to the book. Any changes you make need to be done BEFORE the book is sideloaded. If you do not have a cover you need to delete the book & do the conversion or make any other changes before you resend it. Deleting the book from your device will not delete it from Calibre (unless you tell it to). Calibre always saves the original file as well as the modified file in the book folder in it's database. If anything is screwed up all you need to do is delete the messed up book from the device & start all over again if you don't like what it did.

The majority of my books are sideloaded & have not been purchased from BN & are DRM free. BN uses a proprietary version of DRM called "Adept" which differs from the type of DRM on other books such as those that come from the library.Essentially what this does is to lock you into using the book on a Nook.I've used Sigl but, in general, I find it to be a bit of a hassle. To me it;s most useful if you are trying to clean up a PDF conversion. However, I haven't really used it enough to test it's usefulness on other tasks. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

whenever I've downloaded an epub, it did not come with an .opf file. I have been assuming that that is a file that calibre uses to keep track of the book within the library and stores new metadata downloaded for the book. That file has never been transferred to my devices when I downloaded the epub to my device nor has that information ever become part of my original epub ( that I've noticed anyway) unless I converted the book again in Calibre in which case, I'm converting so that it DOES alter the epub. I don't see that file as part of the book, but a separate file created by and maintained by Calibre.

I try to offer solutions that I know and use myself as I don't feel qualified to comment on programs that I don't use, whether I feel positive or negative about them, so no, my solutions may not include those programs. That doesn't mean they are not valid solutions for others, but without personal experience, I can't say one way or another, so no one need take offense that I did not mention them though some people might anyway.  Just trying to help solve a problem. Calibre saved my butt many times the past couple of months as the HD+ went through some frustrating growing pains. When I see others suffering through similar frustration, I feel their pain and feel the need to offer a possible solution that worked for me and hope that others see that as what it is intended and use it if they think it will help.

I've learned alot about Calibre in the past couple of months, (desperation is a great motivator) but I know I've barely scratched the surface, so I'm ALWAYS open to knew info on how to solve problems.

Inspired Contributor
lotsahelp
0 Kudos

The first time i moved books from my tablet to daughters hd i had no problem with covers showing up. Now i do. All books were bought from b and n. I dont remember what i did 3 months ago. But i have tried things listed above with ade and caliber but no covers? Help?
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Sideloaded books' covers will not show up in the myfiles/ folder on the HD devices. They WILL show up in the main library books/ folder and when placed in shelves if they are part of the book.

If not, you can add the cover to non drm'd BN books:

For non drm'd books, you need to update the cover in Calibre and then convert the book to epub to add the cover to the book. Delete the copy from the device before sideloading the new copy with the cover.

For drm'd books, the HD device should be able to read those covers when in the main library books/ folder or when the books are placed on shelves if your ID and cc number have been given for the books. I'm not sure about how the HD's deal with this, but it should work that way. I notice it is hit or miss in Calibre if the covers can be read on BN books. Whether the cover is there or not, it will not show up in the my files/ folder. Ever.

Just one of the new brilliant ideas BN has come up with to discourage sideloading. I generally put all my sideloaded books onto user defined shelves in the main library as I sideload them so it isn't an issue.

Contributor
garyyyyt
0 Kudos

I've got a problem with sideloaded books, or maybe its just the books that I load onto my Nook HD+.

When ever I delete books from my library, either long press on the book cover of book and select delete, or going into the directory My Files>Books to delete the .epub, the deleted books will still appear on the Books shelf in the library app of the Nook. Its so frustrating because the book doesn't exist in my Nook any more but the cover is still sitting there with no function at all.

Is there some way to remove it?