Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

Side loading apps, how is it done?

We just obtained an HD tablet recently (we are a Nook family starting with the 1st Edition, and even have the Nook Tablet).  Our decision to get this tablet was based on getting GooglePlay and well, the price during May and the size.

We have some games we want to side load (mostly from the Android Humble Bundle sales).  So my husband and I are wondering how to side load apps.  We like having the use of the B&N reader as well (another reason why we chose this option).  We have a smaller Asus tablet, but would love to see some of these games in larger format.

I did a series of searches before I wrote this so forgive me if this has been asked a million times.

Thanks in advance for you help.

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Re: Side loading apps, how is it done?

Basically unless you really know what you're doing computer-wise, you can't sideload apps onto the HD tablets.There is a way to use tools that are available to app developers to sideload them, but my understanding is that it's a bit of a complicated process. The only way I'm aware of that you can get them on the device is to either root it or use a dual-boot card like the ones offered at androidfornook.com or n2acards.com.

If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure others will chime in.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

You can sideload them using ADB. XDA Developers have a very simple set of instructions on how to do it. But I guess I don't understand why you'd have to now that Google Play is on the HD/HD+ and open to almost all apps. Generally, if it says it's not compatible with your device when you're on the Play store, it means the developer has not set everything correctly when developing the app to allow it to run (see the Why Doesn't Triposo Run thread in this forum)

Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

The items in the Humble Bundle are not offered on Google Play.  You can see here http://www.humblebundle.com/ the current bundle is also for Android (as of 23 June 2013).  All are DRM free and you can add them to your devices as long as they meet minium specs.  We have previous Android bundles that would work well on the Nook HD and would love to add them to our tablet.  We've already side loaded them to our Asus tablet (it's a smaller 7") with no issues, but with Nook, it's not so cut and dry. 

We don't want to root our Nook, but like the functionality.  The one thing we liked about Nook at least when it came to books is that you were not limited to their store (but it's easier and well I prefer to do it that way).

I hope this clears things up a bit.  My husband is indeed comptuer savy, it's just much of what we've found online deals with rooting the Nook.  We DON'T want to do that.  (we may however, if left with no other option as we have 2 other Nooks in our houshold already.).  Thanks...

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

If your husband is computer savvy then I'd suggest going to the XDA developers site and hunting down their instructions as wallacegal suggested. They should work for the HD devices.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

app sideloading is supported on the hd and hd+

You need to set ADB up just so to do it without rooting.

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/21943338-nook-developer-start-up-guide#_Sideloading

Alternately, you can use the 'enable unknown sources' method discussed on xda.  I'd post a link, but some posts referencing xda have been censored lately.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

@roustabout

That's the reason I didn't post a link either. I noticed XDA Developer links disappearing when I've posted some lately.

And @nerdgirljenn, roustabout is correct. Had you searched XDA Developers, you would have seen that other than setting up ADB and allowing unknown apps, there is no rooting involved. The process is simple, easy to do and works perfectly. That was my first experiment on my HD+ and I then went on later to root it. However, since Play has been enabled, I've gone to the hybrid root and am very happy with it.

Frequent Contributor
bru20

wallacegal wrote:

And @nerdgirljenn, roustabout is correct. Had you searched XDA Developers, you would have seen that other than setting up ADB and allowing unknown apps, there is no rooting involved. The process is simple, easy to do and works perfectly. That was my first experiment on my HD+ and I then went on later to root it. However, since Play has been enabled, I've gone to the hybrid root and am very happy with it.

Which process for sideloading apps are referring to as "simple"?  The one roustabout linked for Nook developers?  I'd hardly call that simple.  Or are you talking about the one from xda?  If so, the one I know of from there involves creating a bootable SD card to install .zip files that will allow unknown sources to be enabled.  Again not exactly "simple".

Or is there another method on xda that I haven't found that really is simple? Simple would be good for me :smileywink: .

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

I've got to agree with bru20 - What's simple and what isn't is in the eye of the beholder. I think I've glanced at the nook developerer link before, and it made absolutely no sense to me at all. If you know a lot about computers and coding and are familiar with the software the process uses, it's probably not very difficult. But if you don't know a lot about them and aren't familiar with the software, it's a different story. I maintain that for the average person, that link and the stuff that goes on at XDA are going to be challenging - even the non-rooting stuff they do there.

For instance from the nookdevelope link - picking up a couple of screens back from where it is when it opens:

3.3.3 Start Emulator - Eclipse

Note Windows 7/XP do not display NOOK skins when the emulator is run from Eclipse.

To run the emulator:

1. Start Eclipse.
  2. If needed, click the AVD Manager button [an unidentifiable icon is here] to create a new AVD or to edit an existing AVD.

What the heck is Eclipse? Where do I find it? How do I start it? What is AVD? How do I find the button for it? I'll admit that the rest looks pretty clear with screenshots to walk you through. But if I can't figure out how to get to that point, those screenshots aren't very helpful.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Enabling sideloading via the official route only involves following section 4 of the guide, called 'sideloading.'  

I wouldn't [and didn't] call it simple - there are a few steps I missed the first time through.  Partly my own fault - I know adb quite well, and so didn't follow a step requiref to get the ini file to support the hd and +.

The xda method works once you get the card made and the files on it.

However, the OP asked how it could be done, and those are the two routes I know.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

@TnTexas

Roustabout is correct. Why are you reading all the developer stuff? Are you planning on developing apps for the HD+? Read through the thread again and don't make things so difficult.

Starting at #4, it took me less than 20 minutes and I sideloaded a ton of apps with no root. Since the OP claims her husband is computer savvy, it shouldn't take him any more time than that either.

Either way, never start any instructions you find on XDA Developers without reading through the entire instructions at least twice. It's easy to miss things on the first read through and the people posting problems there generally don't even read the entire thread the first time when they  jump right in and start putzing.

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

wallacegal wrote:

@TnTexas

Starting at #4, it took me less than 20 minutes and I sideloaded a ton of apps with no root. Since the OP claims her husband is computer savvy, it shouldn't take him any more time than that either.

So using B&N's method took you 20 minutes? I'd first have to put the .apks on the computer.  That's why enabling unknown sources on the HD+ (xda method I guess) would make it easier, the files could be gotten direct.  That's why I was wondering if there was another way besides the bootable SD card.  Lots of people are having trouble with the cards not being recognized in newer HD+, which is what I have.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

wallacegal: Why are you reading all the developer stuff? ...... Read through the thread again and don't make things so difficult.

When I typed my earlier response, I simply took the screen the linked open to and backed up to the beginning of the section. When I tried it just a moment ago, it opened to a different screen in a different section.

Even from the new screen though, I still say the process isn't simple for those who aren't computer savvy. For instance, step #5 says to unzip the file you downloaded in #4. That's going to be difficult if you're not sure what the term means and how to do about doing it.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
0 Kudos

That is pretty basic knowledge.
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@TnTexas

I'm really not trying to be rude when I type this, but if one has no clue how to unzip a file, one shouldn't be trying to sideload apps on anything let alone trying to follow instructions that are generally written for people with some kind of computer experience.

And "sideloading" means just that. You transfer the apps from your phone to your computer/laptop, then using ADB, you transfer them to your Nook. If you want direct download, the apps in Google Play and other areas are clearly marked whether they're compatible with your device or not and if they're not, no amount of 'allowing unknown sources' will let you do a direct download. You'll have to sideload it and then there's no guarantee it will work if the developer hasn't designed it to work on older android systems.

And I wasn't counting the transfer time into the ADB instructions. I have no control over how fast or slow someone's computer transfers things but for the apps I did, it was a matter of seconds once ADB was running.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

@bru20

You have 'allow unknown sources' or however it's labeled on your device and access to Google Play plus half a dozen other app stores. Why do you even want to try to sideload anything? You should be able to direct download what you want. I don't have my HD+ here at work today, but it's in the advanced settings area on your device IIRC. That's all you should have to enable.

As far as the SD card, anything over a 4G, Class 4 SanDisk has given the best results whether your rooting or just storing things. But that's another thread entirely.

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

wallacegal wrote:

@bru20

You have 'allow unknown sources' or however it's labeled on your device and access to Google Play plus half a dozen other app stores. Why do you even want to try to sideload anything? You should be able to direct download what you want. I don't have my HD+ here at work today, but it's in the advanced settings area on your device IIRC. That's all you should have to enable.

As far as the SD card, anything over a 4G, Class 4 SanDisk has given the best results whether your rooting or just storing things. But that's another thread entirely.

@wallacegal  How do I have "allow unknown sources" enabled?  I am talking about a stock HD+ and that is not a feature in the Nook OS.  If I am wrong please let me know how to do it as that would solve all issues.  But I'm confident that feature can not be enabled unless the HD+ is rooted or modded.

Using the Developer Guide as linked to sideload via ADB is not the same thing as "allow unknown source" again unless I am totally wrong.

As for why I want to sideload, how about Amazon Appstore?  I have numerous apps there that would cost for me to get from Google Play.  And also Flash.  If you don't feel a need to sideload that's great but it is a major desire for Nook owners who have other tablets/phones.

So again I will ask.  You make the statement "you have 'allow unknown sources' enabled"  Other than modding, rooting or enabling via bootable SD card how do I do that? 

roustabout
0 Kudos

bru, you are correct - unknown sources requires a modification to the device.  It is not available in the stock os.

It is only needed if you want to use a gui installer, however.

The install method that BN outlines lets you use the adb install method for almost any apk you have a copy of.  [There are some compatibility checks but not source checking.]

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

wallacegal: I'm really not trying to be rude when I type this, but if one has no clue how to unzip a file, one shouldn't be trying to sideload apps on anything let alone trying to follow instructions that are generally written for people with some kind of computer experience.

Yes! My point exactly! Look, this part of the conversation started when you said sideloading an app onto the HD tablets was an easy thing to do. Bru20 asked you which sideloading process you considered to be simple because the ones he/she had looked at didn't seem to him be simple at all. My initial post was simply agreeing with bru20 - what's simple for one person is not for another. If you know what you're doing, I'm sure sideloading apps onto the HD tablets via ABD is a simple thing. If you don't, it isn't.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@TnTexas

And I clarified that even further by saying:

IF ONE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO UNZIP A FILE, ONE HAS NO BUSINESS TRYING TO SIDELOAD ANYTHING UNLESS ONE WANTS TO BRICK THEIR NOOK. (the caps are for emphasis, not shouting)

I don't know how much clearer I can be than that.

Read through the XDA forums. It's full, absolutely full, of people who just jumped in with NO real knowledge and tried to add this or that or root or sideload and now, they either have bricked units or they hate their Nook because they "just can't get it rooted right" even though it's got nothing to do with the Nook and everything to do with their abilities. So they post about how awful this little gem is because they haven't the knowledge they need to understand how to do the process.

If you don't know how to do simple things like unzip a file, don't mess with a $200 unit that may never start again if you screw it up badly enough. BN won't take it back.

That's even more simple than sideloading!

I'm going to try posting this link but it may disappear:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2062613

Anyone wanting to sideload, READ that first post. Multiple times. Then read it again. If you're confident, it takes about 20 minutes to go through the steps. If you're not, don't try it. It's that simple.

@roustabout

When the last update came through, it was my understanding that tapping the top bar while holding the volume button took you to the hidden area where you can check that option. However, I'd done the hybrid root method a few months ago when leapinlar first introduced it and did not put it back to stock, it's still in hybrid mode, so maybe I misread that. I do know I haven't been running anything off the SD card other than movies and books I've loaded there, so maybe the hybrid root still has some control.

That said, if I misspoke on the ability to enable unknown apps, I apologize.

I'm editing this to add one more thing. I guessed that anyone posting here to sideload apps had done their homework and had some idea how zip files work and such. Obviously, I was mistaken so once again, I will say, if one has no clue, then don't do it. Because if you have a modicum of computer knowledge, just the basics, it is an easy process.