Contributor
DarnHeather
0 Kudos

Sideloaded books don't appear in library. Nook HD

Got my new Nook today and sidedloaded some books using Calibre.  When I turn the Nook on I can see the book covers on the desktop and open them but they are not appearing in the library and can't be shared with the other profiles on the Nook.  I set myself up as admin and my two children with profiles.  I've tried moving a few of the books around to different files within the Nook (B&N books file, the file Calibre created, My Folders/books file) and nothing so far has worked.  Feel like this should be easy peasy but after an hour of trying different things I feel like I'm banging my head ona  brick wall. 

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Re: Sideloaded books don't appear in library. Nook HD

I have a NSTG. I got books at Smashwords. I plugged the Nook into my laptop and it turned itself on. I opened My Computer. I clicked on Drive E or whatever it is called on your computer. It is the Nook drive. I clicked on My Files. Clicked on Books. I dragged and dropped the downloaded books into that folder. I checked and they were in the library and they opened.
I had to find out how to do this in the threads somewhere.
Good luck, ask any questions if you need too and enjoy reading.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

DarnHeather wrote:

Got my new Nook today and sidedloaded some books using Calibre.  When I turn the Nook on I can see the book covers on the desktop and open them but they are not appearing in the library and can't be shared with the other profiles on the Nook.  I set myself up as admin and my two children with profiles.  I've tried moving a few of the books around to different files within the Nook (B&N books file, the file Calibre created, My Folders/books file) and nothing so far has worked.  Feel like this should be easy peasy but after an hour of trying different things I feel like I'm banging my head ona  brick wall. 

Is your HD using the newest update? I ask because before 0.2.4 the library on the HD devices were very screwy. My sideloaded books would only show up in myfiles/books and not in the main library. After the update, it seemed to straighten out. However my sideloaded books still do not show covers or details in their myfiles directory, I only get covers when I shelve them or when they are mixed with the main library. I still notice a big time lag between opening the library and waiting for content to show up and the sideloaded books still don't show up right away. 

I'm guessing many of the problems are due to the change between the HD (+) being treated as a media device and the previous Nooks being treated as storage devices. The change on how things are handled seems to be a learning curve on both BN's part and ours. Hindered by the lack of decent instructions to let us know how to do things as the old ways don't seem to work.

Contributor
DarnHeather
0 Kudos

It is running the latest update. They are now in the home Library under "books".  However I can't assign them to other users and when I go to "edit profiles/manage content/books" they don't show up even in my own profile.  I really need to be able to assign books to different kids and this has to be doable. Grrr.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I have the update & my sideloaded books still do not show covers or details in their myfiles directory,However the covers do show up in the library or shelved (although I have given up trying to shelve anthing until that problem gets fixed.) Despite the faster processor there is still a time  lag time waiting for content to show up & the screen to refresh. In that regard it seems slower then my NC. I am the only user so I haven't tried to create any profiles but that looks like it could be a whole other problem area.

Contributor
DarnHeather
0 Kudos

Well after 45 minutes online with someone from B&N I've been told, "It seems that we will not be able to assign those sideloaded free books to their profiles. They can however view the books on your profile." This is really not ok. I'm furious and contemplating returning the Nook all together.

Now after 25 more mintues I'm being told they have to be Adobe Digital Editions. :headdesk:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

From other threads it seems that sideloaded books can't be assigned to other profiles.

First time I'm hearing/seeing any mention of ADE books being allowed to be assigned to profiles. Interesting.

So - either you buy at B&N or you buy at a DRM Store - else sideloaded content can't be assigned to profiles.

That's a strange decision.

New User
Duovoice
0 Kudos

Perhaps you found the solution.  I figured it out after working on it for a few hours.

To share sideloaded books, you must go into the main account and edit the parental controls for each profile you want to read books on your device.

1. Log in to the main profile using the upper left corner of the screen.

2. Select "Edit Profiles".

3. Select the profile you wish to share the book(s) on.

4. Select "Change parental controls".

5. Select "View My Files and Scrapbooks in NOOK Library.

6. Select "Done".

When you finish this, you will now see all of the sideloaded books you uploaded to your NOOK on that profile.  There is one flaw.  You cannot choose which documents to share from your documents on the profile.  Any books/documents you add can be read by any profile you give rights to.  You cannot keep a 6 year old from accessing a book you sideloaded for a 13 year old.  I do not have those particular issues, but I wanted to share the warning.

Please let me know if you find out something otherwise.