Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Sideloading books help

Hello, 

I am having trouble sideloading books into my Nook HD+ 16GB. I previously owned a Nook Color and used Calibre to sideload my book library (~300 books in EPUB format) to it and it did it perfectly, with all books being read by my Nook Color. I assumed it would be done the same way with the Nook HD+ so here are the steps I took to do it:

- Connect my Nook HD+ to my PC using the supplied USB cable. (Device shows up as BNTV600 in My Computer and as a portable media player)
- Open up Calibre, it detects my Nook HD+ automatically and asks if I want it to manage the device, I click yes. My device and the SD card now show up in Calibre, the device as a black tablet icon and the SD card as an SD card icon.

- I go to my Calibre library and highlight all of my books (all of them contain metadata and covers for reference) and right click one then click "Send to Device>Send to Storage Card A" and after about 2 minutes all of my books have been transferred to my Nook HD+. 
- I disconnect the cable and open my Books tab in my Library.
- The Nook HD+ shows all ~300 books in the library with their respective titles, authors, and covers, everything looks fine.
*This is where an issue arises. Up until this point everything seemed fine.*
- I open up a random book to see if it loads and I get this pop-up: 
"Error Dialog
Sorry, cannot open this book."
- I try opening up any book and they will not open, all EPUB files giving me the same message.
- After I close that message, another pop-up comes up saying "Unfortunately, Reader has stopped."
- I open up the My Files tab in my Library app and navigate to my SD card. All of the books are stored in "SD Card>Books." I try opening one up from there and they still give me the same message,

*At this point I am assuming the books are in the wrong path on my SD card since Calibre previously synced my books to the Nook Color in "SD Card>My Files>Books" indstead of "SD Card>Books." *

- I change the sync location in Calibre to this and remove all books from my device then re-sync so that they get the new path. 
- After resyncing, I try opening one of the books again (All ~300 books showed up in my library again with all covers/data) yet it gives me the same error dialog.
- Now I think it might be that the books got corrupted, so I navigated to the SD Card in My Computer and opened one of the books using Sigil (An EPUB editing software) and it loads fine.
- After that I assume it might be my SD card so I send a book to my internal storage to try reading it yet get the same error dialog again.

Can someone help me with this issue? Here's a TLDR for anyone who doesn't want to read:

*Sent book library to Nook HD+ sd card as well as internal storage in Calibre 
*Nook doesn't read them and gives me a "Sorry, cannot open this book" error.

I'm really stumped and can't get the Nook to read the EPUB files. I know it isn't the books because they are all retail EPUBs purchased online so that I can sync them to multiple devices without any DRM hassles. My other Nook Color and tablet read them fine, but my Nook HD+ will not open the books. Has anyone else had any problems with sideloaded books?

I really hope someone can help me sort this out and I look forward to a reply!

Chris

Frequent Contributor
HowlMC
0 Kudos

Re: Sideloading books help

Hi, I have not experienced this problem and I have a Nook HD+ as well. I also use Calibre to convert all of my books. The only thing I don't do is have Calibre send the files to my device. I simply connect my device to my computer and then drag and drop my files to my internal storage. All of my sideloaded books have worked just fine.

I hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately that solution yielde...

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately that solution yielded the same error message for some reason for me. I'm going to factory reset my Nook HD+ then try doing what you said you did without my SD Card to see if that was the problem and send it to internal memory. If it does not work then I'll be back to square one. :s

Also, when you said you drag/dropped from Calibre to your Nook, did you right click the book to open the file location in Windows Explorer then drag from there to your HD+?

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately that solution yielde...

[ Edited ]

A quick update:

After trying what you did after I reformatted and factory reset my device, the first two books I sideloaded onto my Nook loaded up fine. After that, every other book I dragged onto the internal storage gave me the cannot open book error. I'm going to leave this up overnight and see if I get a reply from someone who can help me fix this issue. I know for a fact it is not the EPUB files themselves as they were purchased from an online retailer then just run through a python script to remove the DRM so that I could load them on all of my tablets and readers. Every other device including the Nook Color reads them perfectly, so it cannot be them, If I can't get this fixed tomorrow I will exchange my HD+ for a new one and see if that fixes the issue. If not, it saddens me but I'll have to return it for a different eReader like the Kindle Fire HD but I really don't want to do that. :s

Update 2:

Restoring the nook to factory settings (Erasing and deregistering the device) did nothing for this issue. Going to wait until tomorrow to see if a B&N Employee or someone else can help me fix this issue. If not I will go in for an exchange to Best Buy and hope that a new Nook HD+ will solve this.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

As soon as you said that you ran a script to remove the DRM you violated the strict DMCA terms. No employee caring about their job is likely to touch your case.

Also note that with the HD/+, "sdcard" is the mount point for user internal memory; an added SD card is mounted as "ext_sdcard". 

The Nook is quite particular about meta-data; I've got a PDF that shows a cover and legible title in the Office application and OpenExplorer, but the Nook library has no cover and a title of "…P65". If that DRM script didn't produce the cleanest meta-data the Nook may consider it corrupt.

Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

No no you misunderstand me. After it is ran through the script no meta-data is produced. I change/add the meta data through Calibre so that I can sort all of my books by title. To test your theory, I authorized my device through Adobe Digital Editions and synced a book with DRM on it to my device, meaning since it is authorized I should be able to read it. I did nothing to the book, merely synced it to my device. My nook still would not read the book for whatever reason it be.

That sounded like a good possibility of why it would not be able to be read on my device, but these exact same ebooks are on my nook color and read wonderfully. I still have all of the DRM-locked versions of the epubs in my library in Adobe Digital Editions, so if that was the case then I wouldn't mind just syncing them to my HD+ since I have all of those books on my other devices already. Sadly that isn't how it is. I'm still trying to mess with this and try to get it to work, but I can't seem to do it.

I really like this tablet and wouldn't want to have to return it for a Kindle since its so much smaller. Hopefully a device replacement through Best Buy fixes the issue. If not, I'll try chatting with Barnes and Noble live support and see what they can do, but that's all I can think of other than swapping this device for another tablet.

Correspondent
cybersmoke53
0 Kudos

I have had issues with the Nook HD+ recognizing the side loaded content on the SD card.  I can "see" the books using the Open File Explorer,  I can "see" the books in MyFiles SD card.  I have to shutdown the Nook HD+ and Restart it to get the Nook HD+ reader to Recognize the Books as Valid ePubs and open.

I use Calibre.  I have two methods of sideloading. I always have Calibre Convert the epubs. 1) Method 1 when I have my Nood cord availabe) I save as to a file folder on my Pc I call Nook books.  I then drag and drop the files into my SD card.  

Method 2) My other method is to  have Calibre Save the ePub only file to my PC's drop box folder and let it synch to Dropbox.

I then use my HD+'s dropbox app to export the file to the internal downloads folder.  From there I usually copy it to my SD card via Open File Explorer. ... BUT  I have to Shutdown/and Restart Nook HD+ to get the Updated newly added files RECOGNIZED by the Nook READER.  I use QuickOffice Pro on NookColor (file manager can access dropbox and nook) and Had used QuickOffice Pro on HD+ until it disappeared Tues after 2.0.5 update.

I hope this helps. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

you should not have to strip drms from your locked books in your calibre library. The HD devices have ADE built in. You need to go to your accounts settings and sign in to your ADE account. It's that simple. You should now be able to load drm locked epubs onto your device over wifi, dropbox or drag and drop without worrying about if it is locked or not.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Adding to what Compulsive Reader said, you should not need to strip DRM.

If these books are from the library, then you might have to re-download them from the library. Then they will work.

1) You should FIRST enter your information into the Nook - BEFORE moving over books.

Go to Settings > Account Settings > ADE and enter information.

2) Use Nook disk if possible and not SD card.

3) Compulsive Reader has some really good posts on using Calibre. Search for them and read them and use that method.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alright I did some more testing and I got all of my books to work right after I have removed the DRM from them if I sideload them right after that is stripped. The problem is, they do not have any covers so they show as generic blue covers on my device.

The steps to get covers to show on the Nook Color was to go in to Calibre and import the book to the library, add a cover there, then open the file location so I could see the actual EPUB, then convert from EPUB>EPUB for whatever reason. Next I would have to open Sigil and inject the cover directly into the EPUB, save, then exit. Then after syncing from Calibre to my Nook Color, covers would show and books would still work fine and look fine.

Obviously this is not the case with the Nook HD+. Has anyone posted a particular way of getting covers to work on here like the one above that used to be done for the Nook HD+?

The process of getting the covers to work on my HD+ if I go about it the same way I would for my Nook Color is what is screwing up the EPUB files and not allowing them to be read on the Nook HD+. Yet again, Barnes and Noble messes up something as simple as showing a cover for a book on the device if it has the matching file name with the cover. Hoping someone from B&N can reply and tell me the official way on how I can get covers to load along with my sideloaded books.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

iTotz wrote:

Alright I did some more testing and I got all of my books to work right after I have removed the DRM from them if I sideload them right after that is stripped. The problem is, they do not have any covers so they show as generic blue covers on my device.

The steps to get covers to show on the Nook Color was to go in to Calibre and import the book to the library, add a cover there, then open the file location so I could see the actual EPUB, then convert from EPUB>EPUB for whatever reason. Next I would have to open Sigil and inject the cover directly into the EPUB, save, then exit. Then after syncing from Calibre to my Nook Color, covers would show and books would still work fine and look fine.

Obviously this is not the case with the Nook HD+. Has anyone posted a particular way of getting covers to work on here like the one above that used to be done for the Nook HD+?

The process of getting the covers to work on my HD+ if I go about it the same way I would for my Nook Color is what is screwing up the EPUB files and not allowing them to be read on the Nook HD+. Yet again, Barnes and Noble messes up something as simple as showing a cover for a book on the device if it has the matching file name with the cover. Hoping someone from B&N can reply and tell me the official way on how I can get covers to load along with my sideloaded books.

I have yet to have a cover show up for any sideloaded books while in the myfiles/anywhere at all area. Once you shelve the book, the cover should show up on the shelf. The cover should also show up when the book shows up in the main library.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ah that's the problem, the covers don't even show up in my main Book library when I go to Library>Books, it is a generic blue cover. I'm just going to exchange mine for another one and see if that fixes my book reading issue, because I'm fed up with trying to get the books to work on here. If not I'm exchanging the device for another tablet. Sad that it worked so easily on the Nook Color.

Edit:

Now I'm certain my device is being screwy. I added a book called The Iron Thorn to a shelf and tried accessing it through there and I got the Error dialog. It wouldn't let me read it even though that one was one without the cover mod and worked through my Books. I went back to my books and opened it fine, then went back to the shelf and opened it. Will update the thread in about 20 or 30 minutes when I go exchange my device at the store.

Frequent Contributor
iTotz
0 Kudos

Well I could not get my newly exchanged Nook HD+ to read the EPUBs so I'm off to return it. I'll try this again with the Android Nook app once the device has been fully rooted to where I can flash CM10 to the EMMC and see if that works.
Frequent Contributor
AmericanMom

My daughter had the exact same issue on her brand new Nook HD and we finally figured out what the problem was: the # sign! Since she reads mostly YA novels that usually come in trilogies, we found that that was the common factor. I went through all of her books, removed the # sign from the titles, re-added them and the issue no longer exists,

Hope this easy solution helps someone else!

AmericanMom
Reader 2
MandyLenore
0 Kudos

Yes! You helped me so much! I read a LOT of series and I have them titled with the # sign. Thank you so much! I've been driving myself crazy for the past two weeks trying to figure out why my books wouldn't open. Thanks again! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
vampgeek
0 Kudos

AmericanMom wrote:
My daughter had the exact same issue on her brand new Nook HD and we finally figured out what the problem was: the # sign! Since she reads mostly YA novels that usually come in trilogies, we found that that was the common factor. I went through all of her books, removed the # sign from the titles, re-added them and the issue no longer exists,

Hope this easy solution helps someone else!

AmericanMom

Thank you so much for this! Too bad I just renamed all my books and added the # in - ARGH! LOL But that will probably/hopefully fix my issue. :smileyhappy:

New User
BasketcaseCC
0 Kudos

Woot! This was exactly my problem. I have searched for a couple of hours before finding this simple solution. Thanks for sharing this.