Contributor
booklover1LB
0 Kudos

Sideloading epubs

Hi, i hope someone here can help me. I have epubs that I am trying to sideload to my Nook HD. I also have the 1st generation Nook and I had no issues with loading on that device, but it is different on the Nook HD. I am getting frustrated with this. Can someone help me please??? thank you! Linda

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Sideloading epubs

[ Edited ]

What kind of computer are you using, and what operating system is it running?  My windows 7 box was able to see the Nook HD+ when I connected it, but my XP system needed an update to see it.  Surprisingly (to me) a relatively old linux installation was also able to see it and work with it immediately. 

In both cases, the HD shows up as a media player device, rather than looking like a harddrive on my computer. 

Double-click on the media player, though, and you get to a folder called device storage (or something like that) and you can copy epub files to that. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
Miss_Kilman
0 Kudos

Nook will talk to a Linux box because Nooks are Android and Android is Linux. Even old Linux will usually talk to new Linux. Handy, right? I'm not a big Linux user, but sometimes they just beat the pants off the Big Guys!

I second the question about operating system. But if your computer sees your device and you know that's not your issue, can you describe what happens when you try to put an epub on your Nook?

roustabout
0 Kudos

Well, the surprise here is that getting MTP to play well with linux worked so painlessly.  There's quite a bit that on paper works just great in linux and in practice involves finding out what's wrong.  :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

[ Edited ]

booklover1LB wrote:

Hi, i hope someone here can help me. I have epubs that I am trying to sideload to my Nook HD. I also have the 1st generation Nook and I had no issues with loading on that device, but it is different on the Nook HD. I am getting frustrated with this. Can someone help me please??? thank you! Linda

Are you trying to use ADE to sideload your epubs.If so, note that ADE no longer recognizes the new HD devices. You can still use it to download your epubs to your pc, but you will have to transfer the ebooks to your HD with drag and drop. Find your "my digital editions" folder in your document folder, find your ebook, then drag it over to your device's myfiles/books folder. (note: your HD device will show up as BNTxxxx on your pc rather than a storage device. Make sure your ADE is activated ON your device. Go to settings, accounts, ade and sign in. Do this before moving your book and your device will read your book fine without having ADE transfer for you.

If you use dropbox, you can also drag and drop the book into dropbox and download it to your device.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Are you trying to use ADE to sideload your epubs.If so, note that ADE no longer recognizes the new HD devices. You can still use it to download your epubs to your pc, but you will have to transfer the ebooks to your HD with drag and drop. Find your "my digital editions" folder in your document folder, find your ebook, then drag it over to your device's myfiles/books folder. (note: your HD device will show up as BNTxxxx on your pc rather than a storage device. Make sure your ADE is activated ON your device. Go to settings, accounts, ade and sign in. Do this before moving your book and your device will read your book fine without having ADE transfer for you.

If you use dropbox, you can also drag and drop the book into dropbox and download it to your device.

That does not work on my HD+ with books copied from the My Digital Editions folder on my PC.   When I try to open the epub file with the built-in reader. it says "This book has been returned".

Reader
petepac2

I use Calibre to sideload ebubs into my wife's Nook HD.  Works like a charm and has versions for Win, Mac anddlinux.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

petepac2 wrote:

I use Calibre to sideload ebubs into my wife's Nook HD.  Works like a charm and has versions for Win, Mac anddlinux.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

I use Calibre too. It's an excellent program and you can create catalogs of your entire calibre library to download to your device to keep track of your books, etc.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX,

So you can check out library books with DRM through ADE and copy them to your Nook HD/HD+ and read them with the built-in reader, not Overdrive?  I cannot.

Contributor
booklover1LB
0 Kudos

I have windows 7 on my pc. Right now when i plug in my Nook, it says BTV400, I guess that is some internal model number or something. I also have the 1st generation Nook, and when i plug that one in it says Nook, I drop my books there and they go to my Nook with no problems. My Nook HD does not work that way and I don't know what to do.

Contributor
booklover1LB
0 Kudos

Are you saying to load my epubs to the Media Player, and they will display on my Nook??? I don't understand.....

Contributor
booklover1LB
0 Kudos

When I plug my Nook in, it does not say Nook on my computer - I don't know why, the 1st generation Nook did. this on says BNTV400 - what is that??? This is supposed to be easy, I don't get it.....

Contributor
booklover1LB
0 Kudos

I am not using dropbox - I am using SugarSync, will your instructions still work???

Contributor
booklover1LB
0 Kudos

Is your suggestion to use Calibre? I thought about that at one time, but wasn't sure if it was necessary...

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

booklover1LB wrote:

When I plug my Nook in, it does not say Nook on my computer - I don't know why, the 1st generation Nook did. this on says BNTV400 - what is that??? This is supposed to be easy, I don't get it.....

The first edition exposed the memory just like a card reader would -- one "drive letter" per flash memory unit. The computer basically had direct access to the memory (on the 1st edition, especially -- since even B&N downloaded books are visible; no later Nook exposes B&N content via USB).

The HD/+ use a media transfer protocol in which the memory (and the file system of that memory) is controlled by the host device, and the remote (the computer) sends requests to the device to transfer data. This is sort of similar to the old FTP protocol used on the internet -- you connect to the destination but it is responsible for how the file is actually stored.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I have never had the problem with library books that others have. If none of the other solutions are working for you, then use the Overdrive app available in Shop. It is free, requires an ADE account. You can use it to go to your public library, browse for books, and when you are finished, download them to your device. You will then read the book in the app. Overdrive will also handle drm'd ebooks you purchase from other vendors and can be used for audiobooks as well.

I don't personally like OD to read with, but when it's the only option, it's fine with me.

roustabout
0 Kudos

For the OP, "when i plug in my Nook, it says BTV400"

Double-click on the BTV400 device.

It will pop open and there will be a folder that you can drop your files to.  I think the folder is called "internal storage"

It is a little different than the earlier nooks.

Contributor
booklover1LB

Thank you, I will try that, I thought I did and nothing happened, but I will try again once I am home with both my computer and my Nook, if it does not work, I will post again for a new option... I hope that is okay.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, sure. Think of your Nook as another music player added to your computer.

So you just have to Copy-Paste (or Drag-Drop) the files to this new media player.

Inspired Contributor
lotsahelp
0 Kudos

Trying to follow this thread and suggestions as i think it will help with my problem. I have sideloaded books from my nook tablet to nook hd no problem. When plugging in computer nook tab allows you to find books easily. But when i plug hd in no books show up. When you all are refering to the ade does that have to be dowloaded onto computer AND nook hd???