Reader 2
Arconna

Slow Performance (possibly apps?)

This is my first tablet, so you'll excuse me for being somewhat boneheaded about it.  I've downloaded quite  a few apps to my Nook HD+.  Most are news and social network things.  The reason I bring this up is that recently my Nook has started moving a lot slower than usually, sometimes lagging by several seconds.  It doesn't do this all the time, and I suspect this might have something to do with all the apps trying to work at the same time.  I can't confirm that, though.

In any case, is there a way to determine if the apps are slowing down the performance?  And if the apps are slowing down my device's performance, is there a way to prevent so many of them running on startup? I couldn't find a way to force the apps to run only when I tell them to.  That may not even exist...

Anywho.  Thanks for your help!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Re: Slow Performance (possibly apps?)

In general, in Android an app is only running when it's the one that you see on the screen. The others might be taking up memory, but they're not running. There are a few exceptions for apps that start "services" — for example, Pandora will start a service for playing music that will keep playing even when you switch to other apps.

The usual (and easy) fix for slow-downs is to shut off and restart your NOOK. Like just about every computerized consumer device, it needs an occasional "clean restart" to keep working smoothly. Just hold down the power button and keep it held down. After maybe six seconds, a dialog will pop up that asks if you want to shut down. Press OK and wait for your NOOK to shut off, then press and hold the power button until it starts back up.

Reader 2
Arconna
0 Kudos

Well, I've done the clean reboot multiple times and I still get extremely sluggish performance.  Apps take forever to load, the home screen is slow, using the type pad takes forever now.  I really don't know if it's something I did (loading stuff), or something to do with the new update, or maybe just a defective product.  When I first got this thing, it ran perfectly.  Now everything is in slow motion.

Not sure if you (Doug) or someone else has an answer for this.  Do I need to do a complete wipe and start over, or is it possible that this unit is actually just defective?

Correspondent
crenita
0 Kudos

1.) you might need to get a cache cleaner.. I find that most of the tablets HOLD on to lots of stuff.from searching and FB etc.... and once you release that all that it speeds up the tablet alot..the one I use is Clean Sweep ( looks like a broom) but there are lots of others and all are free... 

2.)  2nd thing to check is which of the  apps freq. checking for updates.. usually it is a setting on each of the app that you tell it how often it is suppose to check for new content..like some of the News sites, facebook, emails etc.....  emails will do this.a lot... all that activity uses up your services and will slow everything down... some do it a lot 

3.)  the other thing  I do is turn off apps that I am not currently using.. I know they tell you that shouldn't be necessary but it seems to improve things 

4.) get rid of apps that you don't use regularly..no need to keep them on the tablet unless you usin it.. you can always download it again..

5.) maps  use a lot of memory.. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

If you're seeing that your battery life has also gotten worse, its probably apps running in background looking for updates. See point #2 from poster just above me. 

Reader
imasucker
0 Kudos

my nook hd was.really slow.  i used an app called.clean.master from google play store (free).  ran the app, did hard boot, ran it again, and the pronlem is resolved.

turns oit i had a.lot of jink.files.that didnt get erased.when.certain apps were inimstalled.  jope this helps u.  my device was.slow for a.week or.intil i couldnt tollerate it anymore.

sorry abt typos.  have trbl w this little keyboard,  good luck!

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

do you have a uSD card installed?  are apps loaded onto it?

Peace,

Jeremy

New User
kart3685
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How do you even load apps onto the uSD card ?

I know stock Android has options to move some apps to the external storage, but didn't find any such thing on the Nook.

I have also been very disappointed in the nook HD+. When I bought it, I was very clear about what I wanted to use it for. Mostly reading (books, magazines, comics) - with occassional videos (Netflix).
 I didn't care that it didn't have cameras, GPS ...etc.

But it doesn't even do the core functionality very well. The tablet has been funny slow the last one - two weeks. I have to wait seconds before anything responds. I went in and uninstalled  many of the apps I had installed. (Note, I have only a few apps to start with.) {Please do note that I have cleared app caches, restarted nook ...etc.}

Zinio is especially terrible. Even after clearing the cache, it is horrendously slow.

I was recommending the HD+ to a lot of friends - now I will ask them to stay away. Not only that - I don't think I'll buy from Book store either.

I am thinking about installing stock android on the tablet - KitKat maybe.

I suspect if it has anything to do with the uSD card I installed on it. (Note that it is empty, but still.)

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but de-registering and re-registering speeded the device up significantly for me...

I think that Zinio generates a ton of temp files to do with pages, graphics and adverts, and these do not get cleared out by clearing the cache or using Clean Master,  I seem to remember one poster could only get rid of them by manually deleting file by file.  

Might be worth contacting Zinio and asking them what they recommend to get rid of files generated by their app that are no longer needed.

Reader 2
BSant19
0 Kudos

I went to BN to see why my Nook HD+ is so slow and I was advised to delete my magazines and alot of apps I paid for. Was told that was the reason for the problem. It pissed me off since I cancelled all my print subscriptions. Why don't they warn you about this before you subscribe. Have lots of cooking and craft magazines I have to get rid of. Something about the pictures and whatnot using more data!? Is this true?? Please someone let me know if they were ever told this.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

I'm not really sure about the magazines but I was having the same problem and couldn't resolve it by any means, I wound up doing a facorty reset and I haven't had the issue since. I do not have any magazine subscriptions but I do get some catalogs.
mrskooshie
New User
NookLover5877
0 Kudos

Thank you sir/ma'am. I'm going to try the cache cleaning app you metioned and so will my younger brother. I appreciate your help. I will tell you if it helped or not :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

You can also clear the caches of individual apps through settings,applications, my apps. If you use Netflix a lot, its caching can really slow the HD down.I find daily clearing of the Netflix and Vudu caches, significantly speeds up HD performance.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
New User
rysanwelsh
0 Kudos

Clean Sweep did the trick and now my Nook HD+ is back to normal. Over 2 GB of junk removed! Thanks for the insightful help.