Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

Slow response

I have have a Nook Color, Tablet and now the HD+. I have found the HD+ loads books much slower then the other 2 Nooks.  I have all books on all Nooks and by far the tablet loads the books the fastest.  I have over 1000 books and if you have to scroll through the books on the HD+ it takes forever. It seems that when I scroll through my books in the library it continually tells me that it has quit working and goes to the home screen.  Also when I do a search and find the book I want in my library it only allows me to open the book and then I lose all the results in my search.  It won't allow me to hold/touch to add the book to a shelf or add several books from the search result to a shelf.   The system on the tablet is so much easier to work with and it takes much less time to load the books.  Am I doing something wrong or did B&N take out these options with the HD+?  If these options were taken out will these options be re-instated with the next update?  May I suggest that the techs actually load 1,000 books and work with the product to see how hard it is to use?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Slow response

These are, unfortunately, problems other users are also having.

Nook Tablet is definitely much better for content management. If you do a search you'll run into various tips from other Nook owners around this topic.

Am I doing something wrong or did B&N take out these options with the HD+?

*Some of these are taken out. Some are now harder to find. I think one way is to tap next to an excisting shelf and then it lets you add whichever books you want to it.

If these options were taken out will these options be re-instated with the next update?

Let's hope so.

Right now book management is too cumbersome. So hopefully B&N does an update for it.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

[ Edited ]

The inability to add books to shelves from a search it the thing I miss most on my HD (this was a very efficient way to shelve on the NT and NC). That, and the fact that newly sideloaded books are always at the bottom of the book list, whereas on the Nook Tablet, newly sideloaded books would always be maybe 25 or 30 books down the book list, right after recently purchased books. It would be nice if sideloaded books were included in the "Most recent" sort option.

On the plus side, when you do tap next to an existing shelf to add additional books, the ability to see the book cover  when scrolling down and checking boxes is a nice new feature.

As a workaround on adding recentlysideloaded books to my shelves without scrolling to the end, I just do a search on the book, open it, then go back to the general book list, where the book, once opened, goes to the top of the list.

It would also be nice if you could do a search or sort for unshelved books. Best option of course, would be to hve the ability to upload your shelves to the B&N online library for future downloading on your other B&N devices.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

a "unshelved books" shelf would be great so you can find any of those 1000 books that you missed while setting your shelves up. I think someone who reads, owns lots of books and likes to be able to find their books should be doing the software, or at the least, consulting on it...You know, like if BN were a bookstore. :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:

that's a good one Compulsive Reader.

I think the importance of having someone who's familiar with the stuff and passionate about it can't be overstated.

This is actually a problem across the board in books. If we look at all the various book sites and software for books etc. there's a huge dearth of contributions from 'someone who loves books immensely'.

Whether it's the lack of a good recommendation engine, the lack of certain book related software, etc.

INterestingly, the exceptions (that I can think of) are almost all public domain or open source i.e.

Gutenberg

Internet Archive

Calibre

Wonder if the number of really good programmers who also love books (not technical books, but books in general) is too small

OR

Perhaps they don't realize there's a lot of money to be made in the transition to ebooks.