Frequent Contributor
maxspr1
0 Kudos

Re: Software version 2.1.1

[ Edited ]

Forget my caveats above: I found out how to both quickly scroll through cbz comic pages to jump to a particular page and how to get back to the library shelves without going back to the home screen first. Just tap right above the "n" button for a sec and thumbnails of the pages and a scroll bar appear, plus the "recent" corner button also appears (allowing you to select the "library" shortcut button). I think I tried pressing in this area earlier and nothing happened, but it seems I wasn't tapping the screen in exactly the right place. So, I'm now completely happy with the restored cbz comic file reading capability. Haven't found any other major changes.

Contributor
deoren
0 Kudos

I spoke with a customer rep earlier who mentioned two changes from this latest update:

* .cbz comic files can be read properly now (broken with 2.1.0 update)

* Google Play Music app restored to library

I haven't tested the first change, but the second did not work for me. The only thing that happened is that Google Play Music one again showed up as something I could install in Google Play, but it did not show up before or after I tried to "install" it. It also was not visible when I tried to manage my account & make sure that it wasn't deselected.

Speaking with the rep I found that the official response is to wipe the device. That is far from acceptable and is right up there with "reinstall Windows" because an application won't behave.

Just thought I'd share for anyone experiencing the same problems.

Contributor
JRScarborough
0 Kudos

I'm a new HD+ owner and had problems downloading this update through the device settings.  After clicking on "check for update", my HD+ started to download the new version but the progress bar froze on zero progress.

After waiting several minutes, I called Nook support and after a couple of ineffective suggestions, the support rep told me the only solution was to deregister and reregister the device.  Of course this would cause me to loose all my apps and data and I was reluctant to do so if there was another solution.

While thinking it over, after 20 or 30 minutes of no progress on the download, finally I got a pop-up box on the device telling me there was a problem with the download and offering me an opportunity to try again.  I re-tried and it downloaded and installed perfectly.

I'm disappointed that the support rep was either unaware of the "failed download. retry?" option or that she neglected to mention it.

Based on my experience, my suggestion for those who want to manually install this update is that you follow the manual download/usb transfer instructions from your computer.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Here's what iv noticed post update

Comic book issues are mostly resolved and internal reader supports them

Google Play icon is back, and will install though it can take some time if you manually update it

Less freezing of the home screen and icons tend to work on fewer tries....

Some performance improvements and less freezing....

Chrome browser has been updated and tweaked... Better and faster scrolling

some minor cosmetic changes in preferences...

have only seen twitter update twice, and not daily as in the past....

in general less problems with google play apps closing or not working quite right on nook HD+

It is not a add feature wish list type upgrade, more of a stability and performance update

Hence its a point release

Still has a way to go but its much more reliable and stable

Contributor
CascaraBorzoi
0 Kudos

I have noticed that the Kindle app now offers a way to sort your Kindle books by title and by author A-Z or Z-A, as well as by most recent...however, the sort by author options don't seem to work!

Otherwise, I haven't noticed much different.

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

CascaraBorzoi wrote:

I have noticed that the Kindle app now offers a way to sort your Kindle books by title and by author A-Z or Z-A, as well as by most recent...however, the sort by author options don't seem to work!

Otherwise, I haven't noticed much different.

I highly doubt this update had any effect on the Kindle app.  There was an update to the Kindle app itself a day or two ago.  If you have updates set to automatic you got the update and perhaps that's why you are seeing some differences.

Contributor
Mr_Weatherbee

The swype-like feature of google keyboard was usually not working on my nook HD+ because it would act like the first character was being held down for too long so words weren't being recognized. After the 2.1.1 update, it seems like the problem has been fixed. Nice.

New User
SkyAngelCA
0 Kudos

I find its a little quicker to manouver through things and before my "Cosmo" magazine would not fully load but it does now! YAY!

not sure, but I think the screen seems a little clearer... maybe im just excited about my Cosmo... :smileyhappy:

Thanks software person...

Reader 2
book_hound
0 Kudos

I still can't access my wish list either, that's been a problem since my last software update.
Reader 4
DAWNPS

I notice better battery life. Has anyone else notice this.?
Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123
0 Kudos

DeathGrin wrote:

Some fixes include:
·         CBZ reader, allows side-loaded comics to be read
·         99% software update error has been addressed - see the NOOK Troubleshooting page for details

So sorry...but I upgraded to 2.1.1 and I got the 99% error yesterday.

New User
l8learner
0 Kudos

There's quite a lot I think. The music player has a new uglier look. And this is important for colleges-it now accepts WPA.