Contributor
Kaylene_Burns
0 Kudos

SomeAppsDon'tTransfer

I upgraded to the Nook HD+ from the Nook Tablet and quite a few of my apps are not supported and not usable...specifically my favorite Bible app from LifeChurch. Why and when will that be fixed?
Inspired Contributor
Michael_the_Writer

Re: SomeAppsDon'tTransfer

You aren't alone. I had the same shock when I upgraded to the HD+ from the Tablet. The best thing to do is email the app's developer. Some devs have told me they are working on it, some have responded I'll have to purchase the app in the HD+ format, and others (I'm talking about EA's Scrabble team) basically told me "Don't hold your breath." Worse case scenario you could visit xda developers website, find out how to enable downloads from other sources, and pick up your Bible on Amazon or Google Play. Just a thought but check with the app's dev first, of course.
Inspired Contributor
needsomenookie
0 Kudos

I have several apps that won't transfer as well. Scrabble is one of mine and I emailed EA games and got the same response. I believed when I upgraded to an HD+ it would certainly be able to run tablet apps. Losing those few apps is disappointing and I would love to understand what keeps some from working while most work fine.
I've been along for the ride...have owned:
Nook Simple Touch
Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Nook HD+
Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky
0 Kudos

Me too! Got 'em all...
NEED my SCRABBLE! Aaaargh!
Nookycooky
All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Any application that relies upon hard-coded screen sizes (especially if using lots of image files -- like Scrabble tiles?) is likely to not run on an HD/+; if it did, the images would either appear 1/4 the size expected; or if the logic is scaling them up, very pixilated.

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Regarding This:

Losing those few apps is disappointing and I would love to understand what keeps some from working while most work fine.

What Wulfraed said.

Plus a bit of perspective as a developer.

1) Nook HD and HD+ use HD graphics so they are 3 times (approximately, for HD) to 4 times (approximately, for HD+) the memory use. The processor is only around 1.5 to 2 times better. Same for RAM.

So some apps need performance optimization to work fine on HD and HD+.

2) Resolution wise you need new graphics. Absolute must otherwise in most cases graphics will look terrible. Note: 1024 by 600 on Tablet Versus 1920 by 1280 on HD+ is a HUGE difference. 4 times exactly in number of pixels.

3) Nook HD and HD+ sales have underperformed (I'm not sure by how much). So, again, this reduces impetus for app developers to make HD and HD+ specific versions.

4) Switch to Android 4.0. It has some quirks of its own. I can tell you that the 'Android Updates don't affect apps' thing is a complete myth. As is the 'Android Apps just scale and work on any screen size'.

If you care about graphical quality and ease of use then there are no two ways - you have to do HD/HD+ level graphics and/or put effort into scaling everything right.

Basically, for the apps that work, you have two categories

1) Apps that just lucked out. All the changes didn't affect them.

2) Apps where developers put in the effort to make them work.

EA with Scrabble may be working on it or it might be waiting for the market to become bigger for HD and HD+.