Inspired Contributor
needsomenookie
0 Kudos

Star Map Apps

Does anyone know of a star map app that will work on the Nook HD+? Maybe it's not possible because the Nook doesn't have a camera....not sure. One user said that if I entered my location manually, it would work. Well, I did that and it keeps giving me a message that it can't find my location. I tried my complete address, then just the city, then just the state....I still get the same message. Surely it knows where Virginia is. So now i'm wondering if it works at all. 

If anyone knows of a star gazing app anything like SkyView or GoogleSky that will work on my Nook, please let me know!

Thanks everyone!

I've been along for the ride...have owned:
Nook Simple Touch
Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Nook HD+
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Star Map Apps

Distant Suns

Though I used a GPS unit to set lat/long position. The Nook doesn't have GPS nor can it be trangulated as it doesn't speak cellphone. That leaves Google's service which attempts to determine position from the WiFi IP address (my Grand Rapids DSL service homes with Earthlink via Kalamazoo -- how accurate can THAT location service be?).

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I've seen one app in the Nook STore. can't recall the name. Sky something perhaps.

Night Sky?

If you search for some of the bigger app names then you can find it in store. Make sure to add 'app'.

So

'night app'

'sky app'

'night sky app'

It should show up.

Else you can get from Google Play Store.

Which app were you trying to enter location in?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

my fave is Vortex and I also have Star Chart but neither installs on the hd+ without root.

The only decent substitute I can find is 'droid sky view', which has ads - i don't see an ad-free upgrade..

I often buy an app on my phone, then use Titanium to back it up and use the 'send backup' command to install on the nook.  That works for vortex but requires that both are rooted.

The location is quite accurate with wifi in a settled area.  

Google does not use your IP address for location but rather all the hardware addresses of the access points your device can 'hear.' It correlates those against the Street View data and the data collected by android devices in use - phones with gps or cell tower access know

- where they are and

- what access points they are near.

It's a very intrusive but very robust set of data.

There have been some suits over it, more successful in Europe than the US, and some interesting hacks of the database as well ['how iI sent your girlfriend a pizza' - google for it...]

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ack.  I had not seen Distant Suns in the Nook store, and it's very good - it's not available on Play for the Nook HD+.  (And it didn't show up when I searched for astronomy or planetarium in the Nook store....)

The Droid Sky View is free but for me the ads in an astronomy app are a problem, given that I most want to use it at night outdoors where the bright ads will be very distracting. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.