New User
SplittingEve
0 Kudos

Strange Virtual Keyboard Issue. Please help?

Hello there.

I recently upgrade my mother's nook simple touch to the HD+. Setup went ok, connected online and registered it for her, added some reading materials, etc. Everything seemed fine.

Now she is four hours north of me, and only about two weeks later, she wanted to connect to her wifi. It saw her signal, strength was great, etc. The problem; apparently, the virtual keyboard is malfunctioning?

She is on the alphabet keyboard, and beings to type in her password - the first few letters are 'GOBL'. She types 'G', a G appears, she types 'O'...and a '7' appears. Each keystroke gives her a random combination switching between letters and numbers (though she is not changing any settings between keystrokes, and the keyboard remains in the alpha mode). It isn't random either - every time, when the 'O' is pressed, a 7 shows up instead - the characters are consistently showing up as the wrong ones.

She cannot use the keyboard for anything because of this, including getting online. Most all of the features I upgraded for (for over double the price), are unavailable to her. Has any one heard of the virtual keyboard going haywire like this just after purchasing? Any idea if there's some reason other than a bad unit that this would occur?

Suggestions are appreciated, as after I tested it fully myself and it seemingly worked fine, it was sent home with her. It is a rather extreme inconvenience for me to retrieve it to attempt to return it (I'm not even sure this is an option, as the receipt mentions a whopping '14 days' return/exchange period even with the recipt - but that's another issue).

Thanks much for any help!

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Re: Strange Virtual Keyboard Issue. Please help?

I had that happen to me once on one of my HD's. Turning off wifi followed by a full power down and restart fixed the problem.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
wildb

I have not had this problem but you could try going into settings/all settings/apps/nook keyboard and clear the cache and data also force stop but you will need to shut down and turn back on if you do that.

Maybe a soft reset will work as well. Hold power button down until it shuts off(20 seconds approx) then turn back on.

Last thing would be to try to download a new keyboard from the Play Store. There are some free ones out there.

Good Luck and keep us updated Maybe a call to B & N might help as well. You never know.

Wildb

New User
SplittingEve

Thanks much for the suggestions. I'm afraid the solution was a mysterious as the issue! :smileyhappy: I"d like to report how it was fixed, but it simply isn't doing it now, and she (the owner) isn't sure what changed. Guess we'll just be happy that it's solved...at least for now! Thx

Contributor
wildb

Glad to hear that. Just gotta love technology :smileytongue:

Wildb