Contributor
lauraqs

Stuck at loading 99% won't boot up

I've had to erase my nook once already because I found that was the solution on another website now I'm stuck again.  All of this happened after the upgrade.  What are we supposed to do, hard erase the nook 2x a week?  Please advise

Contributor
madylarian
0 Kudos

Re: Stuck at loading 99% won't boot up

The same thing happened to me and when I did a search on this forum the response I found that worked for me was to do a factory reset.  You do this by holding down both the power and home buttons for a minute.  Of course, after the factory reset you have to load all your settings again, but gee, at least the thing turns on again.

mady

Contributor
lauraqs
0 Kudos

Yes, unfortunately I've had to do this twice. Both times it happened when swapping between profiles. The tablet jammed and then on reboot gets stuck at 99%.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This is just a soft reset:

a factory reset.  You do this by holding down both the power and home buttons for a minute

It's not a factory reset. Not sure why you are getting a factory reset. It should do nothing except restart Nook.

Perhaps the problem you ran into was that Nook reset itself and then wouldn't start. One of you got it on changing profiles. What about the other?

Contributor
AllieE-87

This is what happened to me! 

I ended up doing the factory reset, and lost all my google play apps. And its still acting strange, will randomly turn off, so I have to load it up again. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it. 5ivedom suggested just taking it to the store... 

... Umm.... yeah...
New User
Incessant-student
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem with mine.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Looks like there is something weird going on with profiles... I accessed my manage profiles menu, the Nook HD+ crashed (not a normal occurrence) and then when it re booted it hung at 99%.  

I must admit I held my breath..... and then it went the final 1% and acted normally.

The number of issues specific to post 2.1 update makes me think we could do with a board just for post 2.1 workarounds

- this stuck at 99% issue,

- the Goggle Play Music fix using the widget,

- excluding unwanted Google Apps using profiles,

- reducing battery drain by switching off locations, email updates & auto updates for apps and highlighting apps that people have identified as actively draining battery - like Twitter, Google Books, and Slacker Apps.  

I know that you can get to these using the search box, but the recent low prices and addition of Google Play seems to have brought a bunch of new users to the forum looking for help with these matters & it might help them to have the solutions in one place.

Is there any way to link the solutions to these problems together?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Good idea Albion Rose.

Yes, there seem to be issues specific to 2.1 and putting them together makes sense. This 99% issue comes up quite often. It seems to be related to Profiles (and perhaps there are other ways of getting it too).

New User
bookishVA
0 Kudos

Please don't make me buy a kindle.  Lovely Nook HD was doing fine until yesterday when I asked it to go to my gmail account.  Gray 99%.  Turned it off by 'off button + nook button' but it still won't reload or do anything but 99%after several tries.  Urrrgh.

Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123
0 Kudos

Any resolution to your issue? I'm facing this problem today. :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123
0 Kudos

Took it into the store. They had never even heard of the "99%" issue. I was in 2 weeeks ago with an issue "Apps gone to the cloud" that they had to call out for help and finally did a factory reset (yuck). This time, after less than 5 minutes of messing with it, they handed me a new Nook HD+ 32gb

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

This situation happenned to me last night.  I waited and waited and nothing happened.  So, this morning, I went to my closest B&N store and explained the situation to the assistant manager who tried to help to no avail.  Seeing no way to solve the situation, he traded the old Nook with a new one.  I am a happy camper.

Lector GS
Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123
0 Kudos

BTW...the store rep claimed my problem was related to the SanDisk 32 gb microsd card that I had installed. She said I shouldn't use any other card than the one sold by B&N. I've read about some problems with the microsd cards and formatting. Should I be concerned?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Class 10 cards, regardless of make, are finnicky in the hd+ and hd.  The sandisk class 4 cards have been the most reliable so far.

In nook color days, bad sd cards often made trouble at startup time, and I've seen the 99% bug come up occasionally when booting when a card is in and go away when the card is taken out.  

I think the 99% bug is usually caused by something other than that, however.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
lauraqs
0 Kudos

When I took away the password on my profile the problem stopped. It was happening when swapping between profiles. No, I have no memory card on the device. This problem started after they pushed the Google apps update.
Contributor
AllieE-87
0 Kudos

I think the only thing that can be done is do the factory reset. 

Then if you want the update again, you can re-download it to a computer, then transfer it over. I'm still going  to call and make sure that's the only action that can be done. 

My Nook is still acting strange some times. Like randomly turning off when the screen goes dark. I has to fully rebot and everything. Annoying... 

... Umm.... yeah...
Contributor
KarenBJones
0 Kudos

I had the 99% issue last week and again today. Took it to the store last time and they did a factory reboot.  They said that if it happens again to tell them because it might be something more serious than the issue with the update that has been happening.  So, I'll be going back to the store tomorrow.  I have no micro SD card in it at all, btw.  They said it started happening with the last update (the one that brought in all that google stuff).  

Contributor
ibelieve1968
0 Kudos

This happened to me today.  Somehow my Nook HD battery drained completely, I plugged it in last night and woke up to it being stuck on 99%.  Finally did a factory reset and it rebooted but of course I have to reload everything.

Contributor
AllieE-87

After doing the factory reset, and still having problems with it, I just called the support line. It looked like no one was getting help by taking it into the store. They rep stated that I should just try to down load the update again, but my computer does not recongize my nook or the file with the update. Went to a different computer and it's the same thing... How are you supposed to get the update again?

The rep also stated that if I was not able to find a computer that would work, to just call back and they would send me a new one, because I am still under warrenty. Which is cool. And its looking like that may be the case.

My Nook will still shut off some times while in sleep mode, and I have to wait a while before I'm able to get it to boot back up. That never happened until I did the factory reset. This is becoming a lot more work that it needs to be. I hope they can fix the 99% glitch and the problems the update brought. Don't get me wrong, I loved having the app store and all the cool stuff that came with it. But I would rather have my Nook fully functional.

... Umm.... yeah...
Reader
bobnj99
0 Kudos

Still happening to me on 7/3/13.  Had turned it off earlier in the day.  Was having trouble accessing a book in overdrive(couldn't find it).  The 99% is blinking. been this way for 15 minutes.